Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here and planning to get an MK4 soon (will make thread in appropriate section), but thought I'd stop by and say hello first. I don't know much about cars so hope you can point me in the right direction for a good quality MK4 for me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hi and welcome. i would suggest mid range 1.6 sr (8v) 100 bhp ~ not strugling for power like the 1.4 or tailing far behind 2.0 non turbo tehe. good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys, as much as I would love the 1.8's, GTI's etc my insurance would not be too happy.

So looking at a modest 1.6 (although I have spotted a handful of 1.4 which look like they have been well looked after, but must resist as I hear they are weak and I do often have friends/family in the car with me).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Welcome BatBlade, good luck in your search.

The 1.6 is probably a good choice for you then. I've recently had to chose and went for the GT TDi 115 as I do a lot of miles, still got ripped off for insurance but it's MPG is leaps and bounds better than my old Focus 1.8 16v Zetec!

Have you had an insurance quote against a 90bhp MK4 TDi?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't looked into the TDI's they look to be over my budget for anything decent (2-2.5k), I don't do alot of miles at the mo, probably upto 7k a year (could change depending of next job obviously).

I have spotted a 2002 1.6SE with around 60+ on the clock, looks like a good example, only thing is it is red. I do like red cars, but I just don't think it suits the MK4 (stunning on MK5 and 6 though), or at least I haven't seen any that have made me say wow. I have a weak imagination lol.

Looking for Black or Silver (bit boring I guess), and possibly Navy or Blue (I saw one the other day and it looked really nice). Do all Golfs have metallic paint?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts