Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title - Hello All!! This is my first post her

Firstly, a wee bit about me - I'm 21, and work in Autoparts in Larkhall (Scotland)...I've also got a degree in photography and have done some car shoots in the past with pleasing results for the owners, would love to be doing more photography work but there's just none on the go, though I am the official photographer for the Scottish Rally Championship. I Passed my test within 2 months of turning 17 so have been driving for 4 years now, however I've regrettably earned myself 6 points =[ so for insurance reasons I'm currently running an old MkIII, straight diesel 1.9 Golf. Insurance has been a killer for me, but now that it's up for renewal and I've got a years NCB I'm looking at upgrading. Sometimes I love my golf for it's simplicity and the fact that I don't mind it being dirty and having to worry about it but there's always a part of me longing for electric windows and central locking, at least!! Not to mention that it's really starting to show it's age, falling to bits and I really can't justify spending any more time or money on what was a £400 runaround a year ago!!

Anyway. I reckon I fancy a Bora, and know pretty much exactly what I want (I think)
For me it's got to be the 130Tdi highline, in silver or black, preferably without the walnut trim and on Montys, I'm think but am not sure the Highline's are all standard with A/C, Cruise Control, Heated Leathers, Auto wipers and windows etc etc. And that's pretty much the spec I want. Quite happy with the standard look aswell to be honest. I daresay that lowering could be on the cards but in the meantime anyone got any pictures of their cars in this spec to tempt me? Or who are the forum members who's cars started out this way so I could check them out for inspiration. Or even better anyone know of any for sale?
What is there to look out for when buying one and can someone wiser than me correct me if I'm wrong on the Highline specs.

Cheers

John

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Highlines will all have auto wipers, 'lecy windows and air-con. The optional extras were (from your list) heated seats (leather or otherwise), cruise control, and climate control.

Cruise control is an easy and fairly cheap retro-fit. I wouldn't stress too much about finding one with that. Leather seats will cost you a bomb (if you want the heated recaros etc), so if you're set on those, get saving or get lucky finding a Bora with them in already.
You can get heated cloth recaros or heated sports seats (a bit like recaros but without the name). This highlines should come with at least the sports seats as standard.

When buying, look for all the usual things first; mileage, age, previous owners, service history etc. Check that the water pump has been changed (usually at the same time as the last cambelt change), and it's REALLY important that it's had PD specific oil used in it. (The 130 is a PD engine).

If you can, get the car scanned with VAGCOM (diagnostic software) before you buy.

There's a "Members Ride" section of the forum. Check that out for inspiration. My personal favorite it Gman's red Bora. Lots of people have links to their build thread in their signiture.

Good luck with the hunt, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Evening All,

In the middle of February I finally got rid of the Golf, and replaced it with a Highline Bora Tdi.

Apologies for iPhone quality pics.

The Golf:

Posted Image

On the road home with it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

After giving it it's first quick wash:

Posted Image

Coilovers are in the post and a Re-Map is on the cards.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts