Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Hella smoked tail lights on my car but i never fitted the reflector things that come with them casue they look dredful!!! instead i just stuck the reflectors onto my lower vallance - but guess wwot - they fell off!!!

im concerned as :

1. they r illegal without reflectors

2. i followed a van last night in dark with 1 rear light and dirty reflectors - you could hardly c the van. So i am wondered if my car was parked away freom street lights that someone may drive into the back of it - dont laugh if it sounds stupid!!!

does anyone else have these lights and what do they do with/without reflectors???

thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
funny you should post this up today, just took delivery of my smoked hella's and was going thru the box and found the indicators and thought mmmh dont think those will be going on (reason: they look dreadful).  Dont see there being a huge safety issue myself but guess it'd pay to regularly check your lights are clean and sidelight bulbs working etc....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ive got the same ones on my golf, When my girlfriend dropped me off the other night I checked the whole reflectiveness issue and its fine to be honest. The number plate reflects quite well so long as its clean. There are some red reflectors in the lights themselves that are ok but just not for MOT purposes.
I too didnt bother with the reflectors,they would look even more hideous than the orange bits on the standard golf lights I replaced them with.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I also have the reflectors...They are still in the box.

Just passed an MOT so they are not needed for that

But yeah they would look odd as they stick out a mile

·
Registered
811 Posts
my lights -->>
Posted Image

NO REFLECTORS, they are ugly, i find if iam parked along a dark, busy road, i leave my sidelights on tbh, while iam in the shop

·
Registered
632 Posts
I did have some come with my "lexus " lights[:O][:O](don't all scream at once) and never bothered to fit them.

It got through its m.o.t. but shouldn't but would be a good get out clause for a tight insurance company should you be involved in a bad smash as your vehicle does not come up to regs.(but neither do full tints etc)

You could always mount in the top corner of your screen inside like TVR rear lights unless you have heavy tints[:D]

·
Registered
322 Posts
Oh Bugger! [:(] I wanted some of these lights too. Just had a look at awesomes gti's site and looked at the lights, theres a pic of some on his ex-demo car, is that not the reflector at the bottom middle? Not really sure about getting them now, as its makes the mot as a fail, and your insurence void unless you've got the reflectors on.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did have some come with my "lexus " lights[:O][:O](don't all scream at once) and never bothered to fit them.

It got through its m.o.t. but shouldn't but would be a good get out clause for a tight insurance company should you be involved in a bad smash as your vehicle does not come up to regs.(but neither do full tints etc)

You could always mount in the top corner of your screen inside like TVR rear lights unless you have heavy tints[:D]
where do TVR put them - any pics?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have these on my car and my car is almost black (pearlescent Atlantic Blue). I've had them on for 4 years and not once have I failed a MOT, thats without the hidious reflectors.

·
Registered
936 Posts
well im installing my set on saturday onto my black golf (without the reflectors) so will get some pictures and also see what the they're like reflecting light.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well im installing my set on saturday onto my black golf (without the reflectors) so will get some pictures and also see what the they're like reflecting light.
have a look where i had my reflectors before the fell off

pics of my cars rear here:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/756598

·
Registered
936 Posts
yeah thats a good idea, think i'll see what they look like when on but tbh i dont park on the road at night (certainly not anywhere which is well lit) so shouldnt really have any issues plus the whole idea of buying these was to clean the look of the rear.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Would be great if you could get some pictures up as i'm wondering what my black golf would look like with smoked rears.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would be great if you could get some pictures up as i'm wondering what my black golf would look like with smoked rears.
heres 3 of mine when it was super clean and before the reflectors fell off - lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was lookin to get some smoked hella lights for my golf and was jus wondering the best place to buy them ?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
Hi Mate,

That's an old thread you found! [:DD] Welcome to the forum, by the way.

I bought mine on E-Bay, but you can get them from suppliers on this board too. Maybe Awesome GTi stock them?

Wigster.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts