Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Thought you might like to have a look at these little new products that we are making as a retro fit kit for the MKV Golf, Hella Dynaview Evo 2:

Posted Image

(The de-badged front end looks good, don't you think?)

Posted Image

These lamps come with everything you need to wire them up into your MK5, the lamps activate when you are cornering and light up what's around the bend, you can also have them on at the same time as foglamps. Great technology that can be found on the new Range Rover Sport and the Range Rover, get some top class technology on the front of your motor!!

For more information on these lamps look at the following link:

http://www.hella-press.de/search_detail.php?text_id=471&archiv=0&language=e&newdir=eng

I can get hold of these kits no problems but what do people think?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I am not too keen on the concept of these, lights that flash on and off.  I much prefer the concept of adaptive headlights based on navigation software.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry mate but I am struggling to understand what you mean by 'adaptive headlights based on navigation software'?

This technology is used on many new 'high-end' cars at the moment so I am confident that the technology is excepted within the market?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Imagine driving along and as you get to the corner in the road the headlights swivel.  They swivel before the corner not during it.  They know the bend is coming up because the mapping in the Navigation System is highly accurate. 

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not going to say that this won't happen in the future but cars already have this technology in some ways.

AFS (Adaptive Front Lighting System) is fitted on various 'high-end' vehciles wherewhen you corner the sensors placed on the axles pick up body roll and movement results in the headlamp modules moving from side to side according to the corner direction.

This type of technology also changes your beam pattern to suit your driving environment such as motorway driving = long and thin beam pattern, town driving = short and wide beam pattern, etc.

Very cool and very expensive!!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Thge technology that is being used at the moment is all 'reactive' rather than proactive.  Personally I think that is enough.  However many companies are looking at the proactive style as I mentioned above.  BMW are the leaders in this at the meoment and have been working on it for at least 3 years.  I hope it works, it means more money for me.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I understand it the headlights are connected via steering input.
Sorry mate, I may have not explained myself correctly, an AFS module moved up and down and from left to right.

There are axle sensors that control the movement up and down and your correct in saying that the left and right movement is controlled by the steering.

All in all you have complete movement of the lamp around 20 to 30 degrees in all four directions depending on the deisng of the lamp surrounded by a specific styling bezel.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thge technology that is being used at the moment is all 'reactive' rather than proactive. Personally I think that is enough. However many companies are looking at the proactive style as I mentioned above. BMW are the leaders in this at the meoment and have been working on it for at least 3 years. I hope it works, it means more money for me.
BMW are the leaders? In terms of what design or technology?

What is your daily job then mate? How will this mean more money for you?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
BMW are the driving force behind this technology.  I work for the company that makes the mapping for them, they have been pushing for highly accurate road geometry for a while so they can integrate it.  I have no idea who they are working with, but we deal with BMW. 

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BMW are generally a driving force with all technology along with Mercedes, it's all about giving the customer something that another manufacturer can't or won't.

Sounds like you have an interested job then mate, so this 'Road Geometry' is not just for headlamps, it must be for suspension etc?

Hella are the world leader in RnD for headlamp, rearlamp and interior lamp innovation and with companies like BMW investing in this new technology it only benefits the consumer.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Sounds like you have an interested job then mate, so this 'Road Geometry' is not just for headlamps, it must be for suspension etc?
Suspension, auto boxes, adaptive cruise control, speed warning, lane departure, it is all getting close.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Suspension, auto boxes, adaptive cruise control, speed warning, lane departure, it is all getting close.

·
Registered
261 Posts
That is quite cool, it is really usefull for roads that are poorly lit on the sides. If i'm not mistaken adaptive headlights were first introduced by Citroen a good 20+ years ago!! If I didn't have a leased car I would definately get these!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is quite cool, it is really usefull for roads that are poorly lit on the sides. If i'm not mistaken adaptive headlights were first introduced by Citroen a good 20+ years ago!! If I didn't have a leased car I would definately get these!
Yeah they were, if you could call them that, they were more just swivelling lamps, you can still mod your lease car mate, we do here at work!!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Damn these look tasty to me!! The place where im moving to has some fantastic unlit country roads which would be perfect for these!!

Shame they don't do a kit for the mk4!

hint hint
We do make a universal kit but you would have to mod them to fit in the lower grilles of the MK4? Or your R32 bumper?

·
Registered
689 Posts
So do these lamps come on at corners and swivel as well?

You say they can be on at the same time as fog lamps, but do you mean they can be turned on permanently via the foglight switch?

I assume these fit into the space left in the mk5 bumper if you remove the foglight?

Sorry for all the Q's!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts