Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fitted the clutch on recommendation from your staff 16k mile ago.

In those 16k miles it has cracked open 2 clutch master cylinders which seem unable to cope with the extra pressure needed to operate the Helix clutch. The clutch has always been very stiff to press since it was fitted ... this never changed.

When the first master cylinder bust i purchased another from TPS. I thought maybe my high mileage was the main cause of failure, i was confident a new one would give me many trouble free miles ahead. It lasted around 6k miles at the most before it has just failed on me yet again.

I also suffered from exploding clutch peddle inside the car ... twice!!! My current clutch peddle has had to be welded up on the end to stop the metal end from popping off.

Today is the 4th time my car has had to come off the road now due to these issues ..... which seem to be caused by the Helix clutch setup. I've had to tow my car home once, leave it stranded in unfamiliar places overnight twice (then fixing on the side of the road) ... and drive it home with no clutch for 5 miles once.

Its becoming a serious inconvenience, my car is now off road again today (ruining my plans for today and tomorrow im set for serious problems with no car) .... its not what i expect from a £1000 clutch kit.

What do you suggest??

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about the slave or T-Peice Tim, anyways i can check?

I never had any problem (apart from slipping clutch) in the 20k mile previous to the Helix upgrade.

I do a 50 mile journey 3 times a week ... not good for a car that loses its clutch so often.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never seen OEM feel on my Helix .... you have to be He-Man to press it down.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I'm really stuck on this one Jay!

We've had customers with these helix clutches fitted for over 5 years, one of them has seen 120,000 miles out of his and still hasn't had a problem since fitting it.

I can only assume that there could potentially be a blockage somewhere within the hydraulic system as all the ones I've driven have had a relatively light pedal feel, quite similar to that of the Original equipment clutch.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Al ... i mentioned the day it was fitted about it being stiff to press in.

I did mention it a number of times but test drives by Awesome staff gave it the 'ALL OK' each time.

I'm really stuck on this one too Al .... even if i replace the bust master cylinder again i still end up with a car that is too unpredictable to rely on .... can go pop anytime and anyplace.

I have never read or heard of anyone else with the Helix setup have the same problems as me .... something doesn't seem right, and whatever that issue is ..... it wasn't there before the Helix clutch fitting.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there anything inside the gearbox that can contribute to the problems i'm having with the heavy clutch peddle and busting parts?

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have the time, tools, or knowledge to take the box off and change the slave.

If it's dodgy then it means it was dodgy from new or fitted wrong.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will see inside the box in the next couple of month ... once i paint the LSD box, making it ready to fit.

I'm just going to gamble and hope the new master cylinder holds for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.