Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was in the car today, and noticed that there was heat coming from the heating system even though it was not turned on via the climatronic. Upon further investigation, I noticed that the temp on my heater was set to 28 deg when I do put my heating on, so I turned this down to "Lo" and shut off the climatronic (put it to "off"). I then noticed the cooling system for the car was giving out cold air !!

Why does my climatronic give out air depending on the temp its set at "even when it is in the off mode" ?? This quite annoying as you can expect.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I think you've just described it's correct function...

If you just mess with the temp and / or the auto/econ button it will endeavour to get the inside of your car to whatever temp you've s elected all by itself (bless it).

Now if you s elect a temp AND monkey about with the fan button, it'll do exactly what you tell it to, for example:-

Temp=Low

Fan=1 bar (set by you)

Econ/Auto=Econ... it will pump out as cold as it can go without the aircon cutting in.

Temp=Low

Fan=Not touched by you

Econ/Auto=Econ... it will go bonkers forever trying to get the interior temp down with max 'fannage' but no aircon. While it's going bonkers with the fans, if you then at this stage intervene and s elect 'one bar' as above it will act like a normal heating system, again as first example. It could be 'low', 'high' aircon 'on' (not in econ mode) and it will do the same, you've basically got to s elect your own fan speed.

I hope this explains it ?

... You obviously don't spend nearly enough time sitting in traffic jams bored out of your mind messing about with it, lucky you.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol @ spending time in traffic jams. Luckily uni is only 2.5 miles away and these never traffic on the route I take [:p} so yes you are right.

I get what you mean but all I am saying is that when it says "OFF" on my climatronic, theres still air coming out at the temp the climatronic was last used at properly. Surely this cannot be normal ??

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Whats happening is the system will still be allowing air through the ventilation system and whatever temperature that was last s elected the mechanicals will be stactic in that position allowing warm or cold are through, even though the climatronic is "OFF".

I know what i'm trying to say but can't type it LOL

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But whys that happening ... ok not why but it shouldnt be happening should it ? Is there a way to stop this or is it in place so the windows dont get steamed up ?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Suppose it depends on what is meant by 'off'

'Off' is when you hit the minus fan button until 'off' is displayed on the screen.

When in that position, mine is off and doesn't seem to do anything.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yup off is when you hold the minus on the fan until it says "off". There is no auto or econ visuals. I cant HEAR any cooling/heating but can feel it. When I change the previously-used temp to LO and off it, I can feel cold air.

Hmmm

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by nudda on 10/04/2005 13:55:09

But whys that happening ... ok not why but it shouldnt be happening should it ? Is there a way to stop this or is it in place so the windows dont get steamed up ?

IMO its because your car is not a sealed water tight unit; air is still coming into the car through the ventilation system. If it bothers you, close all your vents flush - they are Bora vents after all [:)]

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its not only the vents it comes through though ... I can feel heat and cold air coming into the footwell !

·
Registered
263 Posts
Surely it's just because of air-flow as you are moving - does it do it when you are stationary? As Mike says, you car is not 'air tight' - the air will still enter the air intake for the ventilation system even if your Climatronic is Off, and it has to come out somewhere I guess!

It's like on cars before Climate Control and Air-con - turn the fan to Off and you just get a small amount of air flow due to you moving through the air at whatever temperature the dial was set to.

If that all makes sense!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I noticed mine doing something similair last summer.

When I switched the climatronic to "Off", and opened the windows, hot air from the engine would be pulled through the footwell vents.

The only way I could stop it was to turn on the climatronic and set the fan speed to low.[V]

I couldn't use set the temp because the windows were open, so the climatronic would simply run flat out trying to change the temperature of the world.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
You mat be getting some 'ram' air effect although I don't know how as the air intake above the pollen filter isn't in a direct air stream, but who knows what air vortices form at the back edge of the bonnet....

As you are moving along, the air outlets on the rear quarter panels behind the bumper are more likely to create a vacuum which would pull air through, me thinks.

Only sure way to stop it, I'd say is to put the system into re-circ before it goes to off... that is assuming the recirc air flap will stay in the recirc position when you go to the off state.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah put it to re-circulation, just what i was thinking. I don't have climatronic on my Golf so im not sure if the flap would stay shut or not but I know when the climate control is swithed off in my Dads Audi A6 the re-circ flap automaticaly closes off to prevent draughts, as you can see it when the pollen filter is removed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts