Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird one here, my heater stinks when its on! proper mouldy! i took the pollen filter out and sprayed loads of dettol in their whilst it was running! still smells! thing is, when i put my AC on the air smells fine!! Reading haynes, the AC gets it heat from the heater matrix too, so doubt its that!

any ideas?

cheers

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
a while ago when i turned onm y a/c it stank of old piss (if you get me) and i was mega annoyed cos it was 2 weeks after ibought it but the smell went after a while .
lex

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
annoying, but mine is the other way round! the AC did stink, got it regassed, problem solved. now its my normal heater, so i dont think its the pollen filter, although thats being changed 2moro! i have had a leak in my car, and the carpet smells rank, so the smell could be coming off that, but where is the air intake for the heater? surely its still through the pollen filter? i dont know. just got my car sorted, handling, power etc and this is just ruining the whole experiance [:mad:]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
isnt it just so annoying when you happy with it, theres always a little thing somewhere to ruin it..

i was happy with mine when i hit a rock and caused little annoying problems sorted quick but annoys to say the least.

lex

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Try cleaning it out again,

buy a can of COMMA aircon cleaner spray (?11 halfords etc),

remove the pollen filter, start up car, spray into the intake, with fan on fast..

Put the comma can into the cabin, and shut doors, windows etc. let it empty out inside the cabin with the fans set on full wack, recirculation on, heating on full too.

That might do the trick mate.

fit a new pollen filter, unless u already have done last time

Nothing worse than having a car smell of skank, specially when u need the heater this time of year!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, i'll give that a try! did use that before in the summer before the regas!

u reckon i should do it with just the heater on, or for the actual AC again?

cheers

Paul

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
i did it on mine over 12months ago, summer 2005. the smell never came back.

tough call, I'd suggest doing it with the aircon on though.

let the comma smoke work around inside the cabin for atleast 10-15mins.

Then switch the AC off, and wack up to full heat, and let it blow fast for another 10-15mins, allowing all the vents/channels everything to dry up fully.

If that doesnt cure it, god knows!!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers for that!! much appreciated! Having a moldy smelling carpet probably doesnt help though! [cry]

thanks

Paul

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
cheers for that!! much appreciated! Having a moldy smelling carpet probably doesnt help though! [cry]

thanks

Paul
Hire a wet and dry hoover from Homebase - think it was ?20 for a day (rug doctor), and give the carpets a good shampooing, U can also do the door cards and seat fabrics too whilst ur at it.

Or if u can't be bothered, get it a local valleting firm to do an interior valet, normally starts around ?30

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah. i was thinking that! trouble is, its actually the sound deadening under the carpet that stinks, cos that was where all the water was sitting! to get that out i need to remove all the seats etc, but u may be able to just bend it up enough to get in there!

thanks for your help

Paul

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Go to a BP garage with a fragrance vac.

Let the fragrance soak in and then vac it up

worked a treat when clearing up the golf after I found the water in it!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nice, cheers for that! we have a few BP garages round here! i'll go and make some enquiries! thanks mate

Paul

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE:

Put the comma stuff through the system and changed the pollen filter. had it on AC and recirc on full power form about 10mins, flipped over to heater for 15mins and its even worse now! it now smells of skank and cleaner and i felt physically sick after an hour journey yesterday!!

any more ideas?? was gonna put it on recirc again and spray loads of neutroldol stuff in to try and kill this thing! aaaahhhhh [:mad:]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts