Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got hold of a retro fit kit which I plan to fit over Christmas. Its a present for the wife as she has been on about getting heated seats since we got the car 4 years ago!

Just wondering if stripping the seat is simple in order to get the pads in under the cushions and back rest? Its a 2002 150PD with non recaro sports seats.

Any help before jumping right in would be a great help. Should I be worried about the side airbags!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
dont mean to jump in mate but can i ask where and how much that kit was?and what do you get?

let us know how you get on with it...

cheers gray

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Made by Waeco and bought via Ebay for ?90 delivered. Is universal so obviously won't be VAG buttons but can be mounted on the side of the seat. Saw a bmwland forum member had got a set and had them fitted and was impressed so I thought why not.

Edit: You get an installation manual with tech helpline, loom and switches as well as 2 pads for each seat.As far as I know everything needed. Just need to work out where to get the 12v supply from that won't interfere with any other electrical items particularly the airbags. If anyone knows where the factory fit switches plus into it would help

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pointers as to the best way to strip the seats would be good....anyone??

Anyone got an exploded view of the seats diagram? Will try to do this over the holidays and prob start with the passenger seat in case I get into difficulty

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would lik eot know this too if the covers are easy to get on off, i dont think its an easy job coz VW charged me about 400 labout for both heated elements to be fitted to the fronts. Came to a total of around 800 i think.

But my seat is becoming deformed and needs looking at so any help would be grateful. If u need to know where the switches go, i can hae a look over the weekend.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well started it this afternoon and so far have got the pads in both front seats.

Wasn't too hard to do. I removed the seats and the plastic trim to get access to undo the covers enough to slide the pads in. I didn't need to split the backrerst from the base though. If anything the backrest was easier to do.

Next up is to figure out where to wire them in and route the wires under the carpet! Not looking forward to that part.

All I need it 1 perm +ve and 1 ignition +ve feed and to earth the other wire then its a choice of where to put the switches?? I could mount them in 2 blanks in the dash or on the seat itself. Suppose the dash would look better.

Took a few photo's but will need to wait til my broadband is working again before I post them

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All sorted and working[:)]

Got some advice from the ICE section of the forum and great advice it was too. Made things much easier to wire.

Still to tidy all the wires but I just wanted to make sure they worked before putting in more time to hide everything. The heat builds quite slowly and you need to be sitting on the seat to get the warmth. I know this sounds daft but I thought they weren't working cos I initially just rested my hand on the seat but couldn't feel any heat. Then sat on it and it came through.

All done with the engine off as I was in the garage. Will take it for a run tomorrow and see if having the engine on helps as the current might be a tad stronger.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks John that makes me feel a bit more confident.

Had thought about getting the buttons but think I'll be able to make it tidy and have the switches on the seats.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the thumbs up from the misses so the seats must work fine[Y] She was out in it this morning and I had left the switch so that it came on when the car started.

Result[;)]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well had my first real drive with these and boy are they toasty!!! Have 2 settings and to be honest there isn't much between them. Off for a 3 hour drive tonight and that will test how they help aching back that I tend to get.

Will do a DIY how to guide if anyone is interested. Will need my dsl working before doing it though as I will post a few pics. If I have not got round to it and somebody has dug this up and wants some pointers then just ask.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Will do a DIY how to guide if anyone is interested. Will need my dsl working before doing it though as I will post a few pics. If I have not got round to it and somebody has dug this up and wants some pointers then just ask.
I would be very interested to see this as I'm contemplating doing this myself.

Did you manage to just slip the pads in under the cover ?

How do they stay in place ?

I stripped out a broken heat pad from my wife's Skoda Fabia and repaired it. Her seats had the cover held down in places (to create a sort of seam) by a plastic bar held down with tiny metal loops which had to be cut to allow the cover to come off. I take it you didn't encounter anything like this ?

Where on the seats did you mount the switches ?

My thoughts were maybe to mount them on the centre consul near the gear lever ?

Looking forward to reading the guide ! [Y]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I managed to slip the pads in under the covers fairly easily. Sounds similar to how you described the fabia but there was no need to cut anything as the edges just hooked onto the seams round the base of the seat. The pads come with adhesive pads on but I didn't bother as I felt it would make it harder to get them in flat and the seat covers are quite a tight fit and so far the pads haven't moved.

Switches are still to be properly fitted, I've been too busy to finish it off properly and got lazy as they are working. I was thinking of fitting them to the seat bases delending on the length of the cables as they're not very long so it limits options.

Sorry will post up as soon as I get it sorted

·
Registered
347 Posts
do you think you could use the original switches to make this look totally oem? im about to buy a kit, so i guess i will probably have to find out myself! Really i need to see a wiring diagram for the switch to see what it does. i guess its just a potentiometer with a 12 v input?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts