Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know MkIV's have there share of problems but get this.

Jumped in the car tonight to take my son to his mums. It was a bit chilly so stuck the heated seats on number 3. On the way back home could smell this plastic burning smell which should have alerted me to the problem but with it being near to November 5th and fireworks going off all over, I put it down to that. Five minutes later and my backside was getting awfully hot so I switched off the seats. The smell continued to get stronger and stronger so I pulled over and jumped out, there was smoke coming from my seat under my right arse cheek! There is now a hole in the seat which looks like a cigarette burn and a red mark on my bum! Car is a 52 1.9 TDI PD100 import. First MOT is on Thursday coming. Any advice on what course of action to take?

My personal thoughts are that this is a huge safety issue and ought to be subject to a recall. Imagine being on a motorway and your backside setting on fire! If anyone can offer any help/thoughts/next moves on this I'd be very grateful.

Regards

Sarge

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hope you carry a fire extinguisher..[;)]..Thats awfull mate,never heard that before as you said though could have been a lot worse..[:(]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Scary stuff, I'll be thinking of that now when I'm sitting there all snug with the seats on number 4.

Neer heard of it happening before though.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who do you guys think I should contact about this. I bought the car from a stealer so should I start with them? I've a feeling they'll say
"It's out of warranty mate, tough luck"

One thing that's bothering me is that the burn looks like a large cigarette burn, it would be just like a stealer to try and blame someone for smoking in the car, I don't smoke. Maybe it'll look different in the light. I've also taken a photo of my bum with red mark in the hope that this may help persuade VW/stealers how dangerous it could have been.

Regards

Sarge

·
Registered
360 Posts
As you say, lucky you werent on a Motorway!

If its first MOT is coming up, isnt the car still in Warranty - or did the imports not get 3 years?? If its

out Id give VW customer service a ring, think they may help with it being a dangerous fault..

Chris

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ye I think you should get in touch with VW and if they don't want to know Citizens Advice or Trading Standards ! Has anyone else had this problem?

It could result in a recall in another country somewhere. If it's only happening on the imported cars you are less likely to of heard of any similar problems on forums like this due to it being in a different language. Do a search and translate a few pages

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cripes, if you had farted you may have made the 10 o'clock news![;)]
lol - i'll post a pic of the damage (to the seat - you lot aren't getting to see my ass! (not that you'd want to)) when I've taken one. As I say it's only small damage but there was deffo smoke and a terrible burning smell. My heated seat hardly gets used whereas the passenger one gets used frequently. Shall I ring VW UK or write in the first instance do you think? anyone with number and/or address please?

Sarge

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Having read the thread on Vortex I've downloaded a picture which is identical to mine (but on the left hand side, mine's on the right seat). It would appear that this is a major problem. My car is an import but obviously not from Canada or America. The VIN suggests it was 'made' in Belgium. I would advise anyone with heated seats, Leather or Velour to keep a close eye in it.

Thanks for your help so far

Sarge

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/shaunjp/burn.jpg"

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
[img*]http://www.pictureurl.com[/img*]

Wihthout the *'s and the pictureurl has to be the link to the picture (right cluck on the picture, and it's in properties). If you get stuck, just post the URl to the vortex site.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Yup, this happenned to me too. Hurts, doesn't it?!?!?!

Fortunately, mine was under warranty and they replaced the heater element and seat fabric, which had melted. I suspected something was wrong with mine almost as soon as I'd had it - it intermittently would'nt warm up. Then, I started feeling something on my leg, like something was pinching / sticking in my leg. This turned out to be heater element burning through the seat fabric!!!! Thankfully, mine didn't go up in smoke but just stopped working (fuse, I assume) but not before melting the fabric.

Would be interested to know how you get on with the stealers, Sarge.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok here's the first update, I fear there will be many.

Called stealer on Monday who were very helpful and asked me to call in on Tuesday (today). Called in this morning and staff were very helpful. Got the head tech/mechanic type guy to have a look at it and he also said he had seen it happen before, at this point I gave him a copy of the USA/Canada recall letter which I got from Vortex. The service girl said she'd take the details and after photocopying my data sticker I was told I'd be called later today.

About 3pm this afternoon I received a call - as promised. She'd spoken to VW and unfortunately, as my car is out of warranty, VW are only offering 40% as a goodwill gesture. I thanked her for her time and called VW myself. When on the phone I was quite calm and collected with the VW woman who took all the details, including those of the website where I found (courtesy of uk-mkivs) there had been a recall in the US. She said she'd pass them on to some guy (who's name I've forgotten, damn) and he would be in touch. I did let her know that a 40% offer was quite ridiculous when dealing with such a dangerous fault which had been the subject of a recall elsewhere.

This far I feel quite insulted that VW are trying to offer me a gesture of goodwill when in reality it is I who is offering the goodwill to them of repairing my faulty seat without any claim for my ruined jeans or the burn I suffered as a result of the incident. You'd think that a company with their 'ear to the ground' would obviously not want to do a recall in the UK as it will cost them a lot and so would do their level best to help out anyone who has experienced this problem!

I am as of now trying to collect as much information of motoring press & watchdog type press in case I should need to resort to using it. If anyone has any useful numbers/addresses etc, I would be grateful if they could let me know.

Regards

Sarge

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just lost the fire in my belly and let it go! I guess that comes with age - 10 years ago I'd have pursued it to the bitter end. It still annoys me though and it's so cold in the mornings at this time of year!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts