Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my cars headlight washers are broken... I stupidly tried to wash my windscreen this morning while frozen the headight washer came out (left side) and it wont go back in [:(]

Think the dealer will charge me to fix it?? [:'(]

Chris

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i tried to push it back in... but it made a clicking noise so didnt wanna force it.

with the charging, they may say i caused the problem by trying to use it while it was frozen

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys, will try it on the way home from uni,

If not i will give the dealer a ring and shout (again) lol [:p]

·
Registered
94 Posts
aren't the headlamp washers part of the "Winter Pack"? - if so, I don't think the dealer could fault you for trying to use them on a frosty day. If they don't work in the winter, then maybe the dealer should refund the cost of the option?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well when i left the car this morning the washer on the left hand side was sticking out

Got back to the car to head home this evening and it was back in place

So either some chav has pushed it back in or it went in on its own

But seems to be working fine now

[:D]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yeah i tried to push it back in... but it made a clicking noise so didnt wanna force it.

with the charging, they may say i caused the problem by trying to use it while it was frozen
The driver has no direct control over the headlamp washers - they come on every fifth windscreen wash or something so they cannot say you caused it to stick. Stupid system - should have its own switch like on a Merc.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The driver has no direct control over the headlamp washers - they come on every fifth windscreen wash or something so they cannot say you caused it to stick. Stupid system - should have its own switch like on a Merc.
You do have some control over them, they only operate when the lights are on and give them a blast when you spray the front screen. You can hold the spray on the screen for longer but the lights will only get washed once.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
You do have some control over them, they only operate when the lights are on and give them a blast when you spray the front screen. You can hold the spray on the screen for longer but the lights will only get washed once.
Point missed there - do you tell me you conciously take into effect all the weather conditions when you go to wash your windscreen??

And anyway if you've got lights like mine, they stay on the whole time anyway as the auto function's worse than pants!

When it comes to them popping out like this, Mark's spot on, give it back to VW as you've no simple control, so if they do their own thing, that's their problem.

C

·
Registered
310 Posts
Point missed there - do you tell me you conciously take into effect all the weather conditions when you go to wash your windscreen??
I am going to sound sad here but their has been the odd time I have turned my headlights to side , cleaned the screen then turned the headlights back on. Only done this when its been well under 0c and I really need to clean the screen. When I got my car (a Polo not a Golf) the headlight washer system refused to work on the drivers side after a cold spell (not sure it was linked or not) and a warranty bill went in for over ?200 now its out of warranty I am more careful. I think the headlight washer system should be linked to the ice warning/aircon cut off so the headlight washers don't operate under 4c.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Fair play - a very cautious person! [y] Guess whilst mine's still in warranty.... [;)]

I assume you mean off though - washers still kick in on sides don't they?? Sure they have on mine (normally when i'm driving along having just washed it and don't want crap up the side of the black paintwork [;)]

C

·
Registered
310 Posts
On the Polo they only come on with the mainlights, TBH when the car was still under warranty I didn't think twice about using the them but things change when its up the guy at the garage did say there expensive if they go wrong,  I also go a little more easily on the gearbox now as they are made of butter on the Polo as are the clutches.  Looking to trade up to Golf GTi soon anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts