Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or does anyone else find the Headlight switch to be a strange layout

I.E from the off position you have to switch through the auto headlights position to light the sidelights.

And when the auto light position is s elected and the headlights are on, if you want to switch on either front or rear fogs, the headlights switch off and you have to turn the switch one more notch to the manual position to get them back on.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

I would have thought it had been better to have auto position as the furthest notch to the right, where manual is.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
And when the auto light position is s elected and the headlights are on, if you want to switch on either front or rear fogs, the headlights switch off and you have to turn the switch one more notch to the manual position to get them back on.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
my thoughts exactly when the fog was about last week..its lunacy IMO

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The issue is actually the fact that the switch cannot be used to s elect fog lights when at the auto lights setting.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Understand , but also find it odd you have to switch through auto to get to manual,I seam to be forever sitching headlights on and off to s elect side lights or manual.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Might be stating the obvious but.....................

If you could switch the fog lights on while in the auto mode & you inadvertently left them on when the fog cleared, you'd be breaking the law by using fog lights when it wasn't foggy. This is the reason that on most cars that don't have auto headlights the light switch is designed to automatically turn the fogs off every-time you turn the lights off.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was driving home last night, when a driver came up behind me witn NO lights on, so I tried to put my rear fogs on to warn him, and switched my headlights off.. Then the driver in front of me thought I was flashing him

Felt a right muppet.[:$]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Totally agree with all of the above. Auto headlights are the worst feature on my car. Wish I could just ignore them, but, because of the above, and the irritating "leaving home" rubbish, I can't. I have now taken to ignoring the auto position altogether, because of what I consider to be a dangerous arrangement.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Might be stating the obvious but..................... If you could switch the fog lights on while in the auto mode & you inadvertently left them on when the fog cleared, you'd be breaking the law by using fog lights when it wasn't foggy. This is the reason that on most cars that don't have auto headlights the light switch is designed to automatically turn the fogs off every-time you turn the lights off.
Not to me - never really thought about it in detail but what you say makes sense.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Begs the question, why don't all manufactures put the front / rear fogs on warning lights in the dash pod and not tucked out of the way halfway under the dash.

My old BM had them in the speedo pod,nice an obvious.I think half the fog light that get left on are as a result of this.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think the reasoning behind the AUTO light switch position is that VW think of the AUTO position as being more akin to the headlights OFF rather than the headlights ON position. i.e. The Auto position is effectively the same as the OFF position except that the headlights will be turned on automatically if ambient light levels fall.

Also, with the AUTO position between the OFF and permanently on positions, all the other "standard" light positions are never more than two switch movements away should the driver wish to override.

Specifically for Derv Burner: When I first started using the Auto Lights I thought there'd be a problem when you switched from AUTO (with the headlights on) to ON (in order to say, enable you to turn on your fog lights). Since you have to move the light switch through the sidelight position, I thought you'd see the headlights change onto sidelights and then back to headlights On again. But I found that VW had cleverly incorporated a slight delay so that this doesn't happen. I thought that was well designed. It sounds like this is not happening on your car.

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the reasoning behind the AUTO light switch position is that VW think of the AUTO position as being more akin to the headlights OFF rather than the headlights ON position. i.e. The Auto position is effectively the same as the OFF position except that the headlights will be turned on automatically if ambient light levels fall.

Also, with the AUTO position between the OFF and permanently on positions, all the other "standard" light positions are never more than two switch movements away should the driver wish to override.

Specifically for Derv Burner: When I first started using the Auto Lights I thought there'd be a problem when you switched from AUTO (with the headlights on) to ON (in order to say, enable you to turn on your fog lights). Since you have to move the light switch through the sidelight position, I thought you'd see the headlights change onto sidelights and then back to headlights On again. But I found that VW had cleverly incorporated a slight delay so that this doesn't happen. I thought that was well designed. It sounds like this is not happening on your car.

Stuart
http://www.radox.freeserve.co.uk/vwgolfmk5diary.htm#10
Hi Stuart

No mine goes Auto (lights on) - side lights only- headlights on (manual mode)

I've just noticed, if I have Auto lights s elected and open the drivers door, slide key in the ignition (dont turn key) the side lights come on, doesn't do this in manual mode.

·
Registered
591 Posts
No mine goes Auto (lights on) - side lights only- headlights on (manual mode)

I've just noticed, if I have Auto lights s elected and open the drivers door, slide key in the ignition (dont turn key) the side lights come on, doesn't do this in manual mode.
Your auto lights seem to have a mind of their own!

I also discovered last night that the delay on actioning a change to the light switch position also applies to switching from the OFF position to the sidelights ON position. i.e. if it's dark, even though you move through the switch through the AUTO position, the headlights do NOT come on.

Have VW thought of everything? Oh come on. Give them a round of applause! ;-)

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
554 Posts
I never use the Auto function because I tend to use my lights majority of the time, even daylight, but do agree it would have been better to put the 'auto' position last, it seems a pointless feature for majority of drivers but then again with the amount of drivers on the road who fail to light up in heavy rain or failing light perhaps it should become mandatory above 30mph ?

Thums up to rain sensitive wiper function though, this IMO works very well and is always left engaged in my car [:D]

·
Registered
36 Posts
If they put it last some would say "they should have put it first". It's genuinely a no win situation, it had to go somewhere & first is good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If they put it last some would say "they should have put it first". It's genuinely a no win situation, it had to go somewhere & first is good enough for me.
I don't want to keep banging on about the mater, but putting the Auto to the left side of the present Off position, would have sorted things out.

From OFF, turn left for AUTO or right for SIDELIGHTS only, one more click right for MAINS it's not rocket science.[:D]

Agree,Auto wipers are great.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Derv, understand what you're saying (and agree to an extent) but a bit concerned that you reckon your lights are going off as you flick between. As someone mentioned above, you've got a second to go from AUTO to whichever level you want. I can't believe you're grannying it somehow??

Maybe your auto-lights aren't playing ball properly anyway (spoke to my dealer a couple weeks back booking the GTI in and he said they'd had a few back with badly coded auto-light systems so question-mark question-mark).

As for not being able to put fogs on in auto mode, well and truly covered - VW have always been one of the more sensible manufacturers in that when you flick to off (and now auto in the mk5!) it forces your fog lights off. Nothing more deserved for a pillock with their fogs on in clear weather than a good slap round the back of the head! VW save a few of us those I'm sure [:)]

Whilst agreeing somewhat to what you're saying, I'm not having an issue really with the VW logic for the mk5 auto lighting switch, it's just a bit different to what you're used to - adverse to change?? You'd be moaning even more I'm sure when you had to move TWO clicks to get your fogs on, instead of the one (or two to go with your dipped beam now - three in future!).

C

PS - yes I'm aware I'm probably gonna get munted for being a little contraversial, sorry in advance [y]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Derv, understand what you're saying (and agree to an extent) but a bit concerned that you reckon your lights are going off as you flick between. As someone mentioned above, you've got a second to go from AUTO to whichever level you want. I can't believe you're grannying it somehow??

Maybe your auto-lights aren't playing ball properly anyway (spoke to my dealer a couple weeks back booking the GTI in and he said they'd had a few back with badly coded auto-light systems so question-mark question-mark).

As for not being able to put fogs on in auto mode, well and truly covered - VW have always been one of the more sensible manufacturers in that when you flick to off (and now auto in the mk5!) it forces your fog lights off. Nothing more deserved for a pillock with their fogs on in clear weather than a good slap round the back of the head! VW save a few of us those I'm sure [:)]

Whilst agreeing somewhat to what you're saying, I'm not having an issue really with the VW logic for the mk5 auto lighting switch, it's just a bit different to what you're used to - adverse to change?? You'd be moaning even more I'm sure when you had to move TWO clicks to get your fogs on, instead of the one (or two to go with your dipped beam now - three in future!).

C

PS - yes I'm aware I'm probably gonna get munted for being a little contraversial, sorry in advance [y]
CkB

Couldn't agree more with regard to fogs being left on, and yes I do think I might have a problem with my AUTO lights setup,deffo comes on straight away from OFF through AUTO to SIDE LIGHTS

The car goes back to the dealers tomorrow to have the front seats looked at,as it would appear I have two 5 door front seat chassis fitted, which is great but I happen to own a three door model and can't slide them forward,anyway I'll speak to the $tealers about the lights.

Regards DB

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Mine's due in in about an hour as well for various things, the lights and the auto-functionality is one of the things being reviewed, cos the way it works (not switch wise, just on/off functionality via computer) is definitely a bit ropey!

I'll let you know how mine comes back - fancy doing the same?? [;)]

C

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine's due in in about an hour as well for various things, the lights and the auto-functionality is one of the things being reviewed, cos the way it works (not switch wise, just on/off functionality via computer) is definitely a bit ropey!

I'll let you know how mine comes back - fancy doing the same?? [;)]

C
Yep, happy to, I should get mine back Thursday, I've already had the coming/going headlight feature turned off.

Will keep you updated.

DB

1 - 20 of 22 Posts