Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

Following the mk4 poll, anyone know if you can get these for the mk5s??

I had two massive whangs from stones coming home from work this morning (one's chipped my paintwork, and I can't find where the other one hit the front), so thinking these may be a dman good idea!!

Any help welcome... Part numbers even more so if available [y]

Cheers

C

·
Registered
689 Posts
Keep your eyes on ebay, i picked up a set for ?7,

Bit of an erse to keep clean but worth it i reckon. Other option is to pick up a pair of spare headlights, these are regularly on ebay at around ?20 a side

·
Registered
894 Posts
Golf V Headlamp protectors (pair)

ZGB1K0072100

?35 rec retail
.... they also come supplied with black vinyl 'blanking -out converters ' to use when driving abroad. ( fine black marks on the plastic surface show where to place the vinyl blanks.)

Useful accessory but take your time when easying them off for cleaning now and again. ( easy to crack them doing this especially in cold weather )

·
Registered
471 Posts
Guys

Following the mk4 poll, anyone know if you can get these for the mk5s??

I had two massive whangs from stones coming home from work this morning (one's chipped my paintwork, and I can't find where the other one hit the front), so thinking these may be a dman good idea!!

Any help welcome... Part numbers even more so if available [y]

Cheers

C
I got a set from my dealer, well worth it, should set you back somewhere between ?27-35 if you know your dealer well and can get a discount. I got my set after an experience much like yourself, chipped the paintwork on the left front headlamp washer unit... decided it would be better if a stone took out a ?15 plastic cover than a ?loads xenon lamp!
I saw a few sets floating around on ebay a few weeks ago but haven't seen any since.
Fitting is relatively simple, should take no more than 5-10 minutes a lamp. Only trouble I've had is that when I wash the car water gets under the covers and dries, leaving some water spots, but it's a 5 minute job to remove, clean up, and put back on.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The lenses on a MK5 are polycarbonate, a stone wom't break them,there made from the same material as triplex roofing sheets.

VW use Polycarbonate because it let between 7 and 10% more light through, i wouldn't want to mess that up by fitting extra light blockers.

Just my opinion of coarse.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The lenses on a MK5 are polycarbonate, a stone wom't break them,there made from the same material as triplex roofing sheets.

VW use Polycarbonate because it let between 7 and 10% more light through, i wouldn't want to mess that up by fitting extra light blockers.

...Yes & my neighbour had his triplex roofing sheets peppered with holes in a heavy hail storm ( golf ball size mind you & an insurance job )

As CMDRfire said these units are expensive to replace.

I'd rather not take the risk with the amount of debris about on roads nowadays.

I have not noticed any light loss with the covers by the way.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

...Yes & my neighbour had his triplex roofing sheets peppered with holes in a heavy hail storm ( golf ball size mind you & an insurance job )

There not polycarbonate then, I've seen air rifles being fired at these roofing sheets without penatration.

They also make some motorcyle visors out of it.

·
Registered
894 Posts

There not polycarbonate then, I've seen air rifles being fired at these roofing sheets without penatration.

They also make some motorcyle visors out of it.
Slightly off thread but I wasn't aware ' multi-wall roofing panels' were made of anything other than polycarbonate nowadays ?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've never seen a Golf 5 with a cracked headlight. Headlight protectors are an ugly waste of time. They just trap dirt and reduce your headlight output by refracting the light beam all over the place.

On a mk4 they are a necessary evil due to the relatively fragile glass headlight lenses. Mk5 lenses are an incredilbly strong hi tech polycarbonate.

Eons away from corrugated plastic roof sheeting in terms of impact resistance!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've never seen a Golf 5 with a cracked headlight. Headlight protectors are an ugly waste of time. They just trap dirt and reduce your headlight output by refracting the light beam all over the place.

On a mk4 they are a necessary evil due to the relatively fragile glass headlight lenses. Mk5 lenses are an incredilbly strong hi tech polycarbonate.

On the Mk5 they aren't obtrusive and look rather good; and I haven't noticed any reduction of headlamp beam at all (as someone earlier mentioned). Could be the Mk5 protectors are better made than the Mk4 ones.
And unless the polycarbonate lenses are scratch-proof as well as shatterproof, I'll stick to the protectors.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Actually as cmdrfire mentioned the VW Mk.5 headlight protectors fit closely and are hardly noticable .

You may think they are ugly.

I agree they do need washing out now and again to keep prestine but thats only a five minute job.

As for the light beam being all over the place I have not noticed any perceptible change.

I would prefer, personally at the end of the day to potentially deal with a damaged protector than a damaged headlamp lens so didn't begrudge the ?35 for this accessory

( Incidentally in my previous post I referred to polycarbonate multi-wall roofing panels not corrugated plastic roofing sheets ! but I get your gist )

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm, Beadles in Dartford have 3 GTIs in at the moment (fairly crap specs mind) and one had the headlight protectors on. Having seen them on I'm not sure - these look like they've been on the car for a while (possibly not long after it was bought back in 54reg) and they look bloody awful.

I admit obviously could be justb adly cared for!

If any of you currently have them on your mk5s, how do they wear after time?? I can imagine them being fine at first but rapidly deteriorating... Admittedly though they were indeed fairly discreet [:)]

C

·
Registered
471 Posts
Had mine on for a couple of thousand miles, look quite good. Some water gets under them and dries, but that's wash-water that's entered from underneath and not rain water that's dripped in. It's a five minute job as others have mentioned to pull off, clean, reattach.
All those pics of my car that I put up in the Photos/Photoshop section were of the car with the protectors on!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts