Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the onset of the darker nights my thoughts are turning to upgrading the headlight bulbs. I'm considering 2 options.

1. Fit 80/100w dip/main and 100w main beam bulbs which I would only use of road of course.

2. Fit Osram Silverstar bulbs.

Has anyone done either of these options and was the upgrade worth it.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Try the Philips Range, Vison Plus or Blue Vision.

Those 80/100W, I wonder whether they actually are 80/100W. I don't think it worth spending over ?30 for a pair of dipped.

I have tried various bulbs and have come to the conclusion that Blue Vision are the ones to go for.

·
Registered
310 Posts
dubt20

did you send me a pm about mine?if it was sorry mate but i deleted it by mistake and couldn't remember your username.

anyway, in my bora i use ring spotzblue 100w that give a hid effect. im pleased with them and not expensive either.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Philips VisionPlus are working OK for me but an HID kit is becoming tempting as my night vision on unlit roads is getting worse. Had a column stalk burn out on an older car some time ago so I'd only go that route after a careful assessment of the wires, relays and the headlamp housing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've always used Philips VisionPlus H4's in the past with Philips BlueVision sidelamp bulbs and been very happy, now I have a mkIV I've upgraded to Osram SilverStar's and they're great (AutoExpress rate them higher than Philips).

PowerBulbs peeps do a great deal with free W5W BlueVision on orders over ?10

www.powerbulbs.co.uk

Also, if you like 'em get the Osram DIADEM indicators bulbs.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I've used Phillips Vision Plus for the headlights, and they did improve lighting alot at night. After fitting them it was almost like driving with the 'foglights on' sort of improvement.

The Osram Silver star's are supposed to be better still over the longer range..

Worth looking at

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got Phillips Vision Plus and they're a huge improvement over stock. Auto Express reckon that Osram Silver Star have surpassed them now tho, but not by much. Had Philips Blue Visions before, whiter light, better than stock but not nearly as good as the Vision Plus. Personally I wouldn't risk the 100W's.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Quote: posted by RobTheMexican on 03/10/2004 07:40:45

So 100W bulbs are not recommended then?

I definitely don't recommend them but some people use them. Make sure you carry a fire extinguisher in the car if you go that route[;)].

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by PJ52GLY on 03/10/2004 00:10:42

still no wiser what bulbs are best [:D] money not a problem just want the best please help

Has to be a set of OEM Xenons off Foxy then for around ?650.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Having tried both Phillips Vision Plus and Osram Silver Stars, I think the Osrams have a slightly whiter lighter and wider beam.

If you do a lot of night driving a set of Phillips Rallye H1 bulbs for the main beam are worth it as well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts