Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A big stone cracked my headlight lens today, which got me thinking I should change the bulbs when I replace it. Not sure exactly which bulbs to go for though.

So, can someone fill in the gaps here please?

1)Dipped - Osram Silver Star

2)Main beam - ???

3)Sidelight - ???

4)Indicator - ???

Oh and while I'm here does anyone know the part number for the clear plastic headlight lens?

Cheers!

JP

·
Registered
7,208 Posts

2)Main beam - Phillips Vision Plus

3)Sidelight - Phillips Blue Vision

4)Indicator - Phillips Silver Vision

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Legend! Cheers for the speedy response.

Excuse my schoolboy-ness but what colour do the blue vision sidelights and silver vision indicators actually light up?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The blue vision sidelights light up a whiter shade of yellow compared to standard bulbs.

The silver vision indicator are silver in colour to get rid of the fried egg look through the lens but actually flash orange.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Yes, www.powerbulbs.co.uk

Don't buy the blue vision sidelights though - you will get a set free with your order!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
The same exactly happened to me yesterday i.e. a stone cracked badly my right headlight lens, and I will also change bulbs at the same time, so this thread comes handy [:)]. A quick call to local VW led me believe that the whole headlight assembly may need to be replaced, price around L120+VAT [:O], I did not have the chassis number handy. Can the lens only be replaced? If so, does the front bumper need to come off? Thanks for any answer.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Quote: posted by GaryM on 24/11/2004 21:38:26

Gary, can you explain why you've recommended different makes for dipped and main beam please? Also, are the silver vision ones completely plain or do you see faint traces of colour through the lens? Ta.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by pope1 on 25/11/2004 12:05:29

Quote: posted by GaryM on 24/11/2004 21:38:26

Gary, can you explain why you've recommended different makes for dipped and main beam please? Also, are the silver vision ones completely plain or do you see faint traces of colour through the lens? Ta.

Dipped lamps were already filled in by jrsp so I left them as Osram Silver Stars.

I prefer the look of Phillips blue vision sidelights to complement my OEM Xenons, still yellowish but loads closer than stock sidelight bulbs.

As for main bean, you want them bright and Phillips Vision Plus are just that.

Indicators speak for themselves really.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've got the Philips ones in main, dipped and sidelights at the moment. Saw the Ring equivalent of the Silver Vision for sale locally and got a set because I couldn't be bothered to order the Silver Vision from overseas at the time. However, from some angles they look weird. Do you get the same effect with the Silver Vision?

Posted Image

·
Registered
3 Posts
The same exactly happened to me yesterday i.e. a stone cracked badly my right headlight lens, and I will also change bulbs at the same time, so this thread comes handy
. A quick call to local VW led me believe that the whole headlight assembly may need to be replaced, price around L120+VAT
, I did not have the chassis number handy. Can the lens only be replaced? If so, does the front bumper need to come off? Thanks for any answer.
I agree on you with that. [cry]same as mine. the headlight assembly need to be replace and it sucks for i do not know how to do that. [:(] hope someone help me. thanks a lot :(

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
The same exactly happened to me yesterday i.e. a stone cracked badly my right headlight lens, and I will also change bulbs at the same time, so this thread comes handy
" />. A quick call to local VW led me believe that the whole headlight assembly may need to be replaced, price around L120+VAT
" />, I did not have the chassis number handy. Can the lens only be replaced? If so, does the front bumper need to come off? Thanks for any answer.
I agree on you with that.
same as mine. the headlight assembly need to be replace and it sucks for i do not know how to do that.
hope someone help me. thanks a lot :(
HOW TO REMOVE THE FRONT BUMPER

1 - 18 of 18 Posts