Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking at replacing my stock Mk4 headlights as they are starting to fail, at night with lights on, going over bumps or holes in the road the left-hand light wiggles all over the place whilst the right-hand side lamp stays in one place, it's been fine for MOTs etc but don't know for how long..

Anyway, my main question, I'm looking at a set of aftermarket lights for mine, I believe they don't come with motors in them so that'll mean I have to remove them from my OEM set, I've had a look in the Haynes manual for a rough idea but still very stumped on it, I can't seem to find any guides anywhere on the internet and the only one I did come across was a post on here from 09 but the site cannot load it anymore.

Does anyone have experience with removing the headlamp motors in one piece so they can be used within another set and is there any guides on this anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks from photo that motor just screws in, at least on my Bora
View attachment 52886
Thanks for digging out the pic arek, so with the motor was it a case of unscrewing it and it came straight out or did you have to turn it clockwise/anti clockwise to remove?

Looking at the Haynes manual they seem to think when you get the headlight out it's a case of turning it clockwise for the RH light and anti-clockwise for the LH light.

Did you also fit them back in to another set as well? If so, is there anything inside the light unit that needs to be lined up with the motor for it to be able to successfully higher and lower the light pattern for when you've either got weight in the rear or not?

Thanks in advance,
Duck.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My car is a Bora. Not sure if Golf is same.
They are.
Thanks for the input guys I tackled the job yesterday and got the motors out without an issue and without breaking them, it's an easy enough job to do from the rear of the light cluster, no need to break anything, the real pain was trying to re-fit them into the new set.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts