Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There...

My hazard lights have stopped working...
No idea what it is... the indicators work, but when I press the harzard light... nothing appears on my dashboard, the repeaters don't flash and the little light behind the hazard light cuts out and the orange one doesn't come on behind it.

Any ideas how I can fix this? Is it a legal requirement? Is it a major fault?

Thanks,
//Amnesia

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The hazard light switch will need to be replaced.Its basically your Hazard and indicator flasher unit
built into one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this quick and easy to do? Any tutorials around... and roughly how much do you think it would be? Could I pick this unit up from somewhere like Halfords?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
No, dealer only, or scrapyard.

Probably no more than £20.

One one should be prised out of its housing on the dash. It may even have a part number on it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm literally ripping it out of the dashboard? (from the front... not from the engine side?)

Then I just unplug it.. and plug in a new one - I can get it from ebay for £17....

Also will this definitely work? Because I've been told it might be the relay not just the switch?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Yes.the Relay/Flasher unit is all part of the switch.When you turn on your indicators or hazard lights you will notice
that the clicking noise is coming from the switch.Pull it out and you'll see its quite long. Simply swap swap it over with
a new one.(if you have blank switches next to your hazzard switch you can take them out first and lever the switch
out from behind).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay... it's just weird why my indicators work, and not the hazards!

I'll look into it tomorrow (as I have a day off work).

I think I'll start looking for tutorials on the internet... as I have no idea where to start looking from behind lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, So I swapped it over... and guess what - it doesn't work!! *cries* Would it be worth swapping the fuse with another one (instead of buying a new one) to see if that is the problem?

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Sorry for a bit slow replying as I don't often look in here,but it sounds like you've lost the permanent live feed to the hazard switch,which will probably be fused seperately to the igniton switched live that powers the indicators.

Chris.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i'd like to give this a bump, cos my hazard light switch has stopped working... after changing my vents to Bora ones on the weekend, the indicators work, but the hazards dont....when pressed the red triangle light goes out but nothing happens!!

if it has its own supply, and ive blown a fuse, could someone tell me which its likely to be please?? i havent got my Haynes to hand atm.

its not the actual switch cos ive replaced it, and it still doesnt work.

(ive just stumbled across this thread .... typical hey)

thanks in advance.

Gar

·
Registered
225 Posts
thanks loads Imagewerx....it was the Fuse....i should've checked that first i guess...Doh!

nevermind, anyone want a brand new "ebay rare" Hazard warning button?? ;-) only used once hehe.

Thanks again..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts