Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
Don't know if anyone else on here has got them yet, but we fitted a set to a car aweek or so ago, and what can i say.......Awesome!!! (please don't tell anyone i said that, as i'll be in for a kickin' when i get to work on monday!!!!!)

Priced at ?225 + vat incase you haven't seen the site

Regards

Dean

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Quote: posted by awesomeade on 08/03/2005 08:52:30

I dont know what the beam pattern is like on them yet and i dont know if they are adjustable, we've been selling LHD headlamps for years and advise to remove them for your mot

Surely advising to change them for MOT is not really good enough is it? Do you not advise your customers fitting these to use beam deflectors as well?

Have to say, I can see a load of trouble being caused if someone was invlved in a bump with LHD lamps and the other party claimed they were being dazzled?

Am I the only one that thinks to use these undeflected on UK roads must create an uneccesary hazard to other road users, as well as giving gererally poorer light pattern to the owners?

Modding cars is great, and I am sure there are many on here that run vehicles that may be illegal in some way, due to say cat converter removal, but running LHD lights undefelected is surely taking it a tad too far? There are serious safety issues here aren't there? [?]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
From way back in the MK3 days - when Hella bought out the MK4 lookalike lights -they were only available in LHD.

Some 'clever' folks could mod them for RHD-ish use but not sure just how they managed it (if at all) as the main beams are shaped and aren't adjustable!

I agree with Simch on this one........for show use - yeah, but for road use - it's a bit of a sticky one for the seller (and of course the user!)

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
The old LHD arguement has been about for years, its just the price you pay if you want something new! When the crystal mk2 came out, it took another year before RHD became available!

If all the retailers in the country were to stop using LHD, then nobody would have anything new. How would we keep up with the Germans???!!!!!!

I understand what you're saying, but its up to the individual what lights they put on their car. All we can do is advise.

Regards

Dean

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
Never tried deflectors on the newer style beam patterns, so unsure if this works. We always let people know that they are LHD, we just make them available! its up to you if you if you fit them!

Did volkswagen tell you when you bought your car that it was capable of 120 mph and you could kill yourself and other people by driving at that speed? did they supply a speed restrictor?

like i say i understand what your saying, but don't want to turn 'lights people fit to their cars' into a slanging match. Its just headlights people!!!! Show use or road, its your choice!

On a lighter note, HELLO! pretty new to this forum, hope to speak more casually soon.

Best wishes

Dean

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
??????? Sorry Awesomne guys, not having a go at you all as such, but I disagree.

Turn them around at cost, ie no profit on them, and I could sort of understand your point, ie it is up to the buyer what he does with them, but as you presumably make a profit on selling these LHD lights, I just think you should take whatever steps you can to reduce the risk to other road users, (as well as your customers).

The 120mph argument is nonsense IMO, as driving at 60mph in a std UK golf at night is not illegal and in normal cirumstances (derestricted roads) not dangerous. Doing the same, fitted with LHD lights is neither legal nor (potentially) that safe IMO.

Either scenario at 120mph is illegal and probaably unsafe, but with LHD lights fitted, you add to the risk!!

If you only sell 5 pairs a year, to the show boys, fair enough. But IMO it is irresponsible to use LHD lights in the UK for road use, and selling them knowing that they may be used on the road is just wrong.

Tell me, if I were to buy some off you, would you fit them to my car in your workshops? If so, and I drove off and mowed someone down, would there be any comeback?

If the answer is no, you would not fit them, then maybe you should not sell them either??

Not singling you guys out here, I know there are other resellers of LHD lights in the UK and I would put the same question to all of them. There are many illegal mods, cat removal etc, that fair enough is wrong and illegal, but not unsafe in most circumstances.

I wonder if you would sell any potentially unsafe mechanical parts (say wheels of suspension) with the "show use only" caveat? Hope not!!

I urge other users here to hang on for the RHD versions. I just dont think it is worth the risk to yourself and others. Not only that, with Baker 21's prices, I'd be surprised if there were a lot of cost difference either!!

PS I am a happy customer of yours at Awesome's, so this is no "beef" with you on unrelated issues, I assure you!

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
lol!! in that case, i'll not go any further!!! it is a fair point. And i suppose its a good way to get to know you all!!!!

Some people are just impatient!(i.e ME!!!) And just want things now!

Speaking of irresponsability, look at the bloody max power lot, with a snow plough for a front bumper! you could wipe out a small child with those things at 5mph!!!

all the best

Dean

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I am seriously surprised by the responses to this topic as I thought that most people on these forum's did't care about fitting illegal parts to their cars, I was obviously wrong and being stereo typical.

I can understand Awesome's viewpoint and at the end of the day there as so many companies willing to sell you parts that they know are illegal to use or will not aid your car when it comes to testing.

In the same respect it really winds me up what people do when it comes to lighting on cars as, like I have said, we spend months designing parts to certain legal requirements only for 'modders' to take them apart or change them in some way to make them illegal.

I would like to praise Simch, Foxy and crunk for being responsible on this subject and I WILL BE ABLE TO SUPPLY RHD LAMPS IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

On another note, the beam deflectors that you are talking about can only be used on 'free form' reflector headlamps as these cut off some of the beam pattern that will blind oncoming traffic. I don't think that people will by these LHD headlamps and put those on as it will spoil the looks as that's why your buying the lamps!!

On newer vehicles with modules 'bullseyes' you will find that if you go into the back for the headlamp you should find what's called a 'tourist lever', by flicking this it will allow you to do the same job as the beam deflectors and cut off some of the light that will blind other road users if going abroad.

Also on some aftermarket kits you can rotate the module to cater for LHD and RHD beam patterns but this is only on specific Hella Aftermaket modules.

I am on the case of RHD Angel Eyes and MK5 lamps, watch this space.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.