Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had a go at cleaning my EGR valve and inlet manifold out at the weekend. The engine's a 110 Tdi (AHF) with 100,000 miles on it now and I thought it was worth looking at to see if it needed doing.

By golly gosh did it! Check the photos! You can see where I have scraped some of the munk back with a screwdriver. It was about 6mm thick on the EGR - Inlet manifold connection. Well worth a clean!

The EGR valve:
Posted Image

The inlet manifold:
Posted Image

And the port end of the inlet manifold:
Posted Image

As I hope you can see it was worth doing. I recommend anyone with a diesel give it a go.
Took about 2 hours in total to get it all off, cleaned out and back on again.

Removal is easy enough. Engine cover off, undo intercooler pipes, remove vacuum hose, undo exhaust link pipe connection to EGR (2 bolts), undo EGR to manifold bolts (3 bolts) then unbolt the inlet manifold (6 bolts).

Once it was off I used a combination of brake cleaner, paraffin, screwdriver, small wire brush and a toothbrush to scrape off and loosen up all the crud then cleaned up all the parts to get them near enough shiney again and bolted it all back together again. No need to replace the inlet manifiold gasket as its metal and goes back in fine.

[EDIT] Forgot to also add that I also blocked the exhaust inlet to the EGR valve off with a bit of steel plate to stop the crap getting in there again. Its probably pushed my car outside emissions regs now but works well and doesnt throw up any warning lights on the dash [EDIT]

The results are the car seems to pull harder, especially at higher revs, shows no signs of the slow down engine judder I occasionally got and also smokes a lot less than it did.

All round well worth doing in my opinion. Just be prepared to get dirty doing it!

Any questions I'd be happy to help.

Guy

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi there,

Nice work on the pics..! Boy does that look dirty!

I have the Petrol Bora 1.6 16v and I'll be taking off the EGR valve tonight to investigate my Pinking issue... if it doesn't rain that is!

Question - The EGR valve gasket? It looks like it might be rubber? Did you have to replace the gasket? I'm hoping I can reuse it! I know mine is petrol, but I'm hope it's rubber or reuseable... Looks like I might be getting my hands dirty!

Cheers!

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steppy,

On the joint between the EGR and the inlet manifold is a rubber O-Ring as can be seen in the pics. I just left the old one in place and gave it a wipe over before reassembling. I didnt want to risk trying to pull it out and it looked fine so just left it as it was.

There is also a gasket between the link pipe from the exhaust and the bottom of the EGR where it connects, this is just a hard fibre type gasket and was fine to reuse aswell.

One thing I forgot to say in my first post was that I also blocked the exhaust inlet to the EGR valve off with a bit of steel plate to stop the crap getting in there again. Its probably pushed my car outside emissions regs now but works well and doesnt throw up any warning lights on the dash. ( I will amend my first post to add this in)

Also as yours is a petrol I would have thought the whole assembly will be a lot cleaner due to the lack of soot and oil in petrol exhausts. But if yours is as dirty its worth taking off the inlet manifold and giving that a clean while you are at it.

Stock up on some wire brushes, preferably flexible ones like on pipe cleaners and some brake cleaner / paraffin before you start the job though.

·
oooo audi
4,721 Posts
Hi there,

Nice work on the pics..! Boy does that look dirty!

I have the Petrol Bora 1.6 16v and I'll be taking off the EGR valve tonight to investigate my Pinking issue... if it doesn't rain that is!

Question - The EGR valve gasket? It looks like it might be rubber? Did you have to replace the gasket? I'm hoping I can reuse it! I know mine is petrol, but I'm hope it's rubber or reuseable... Looks like I might be getting my hands dirty!

Cheers!
do petrol cars have an egr valve golf derv andastra td vans i know but petrol cars?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I like this, you sem to have saved aload of money by not buying one of those allard ripoff pipes and doing it all properly as well. So the blanking plate does the same job as the delete kit right?

ps well done on the cleaning its supposed to be a bitch.

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
I like this, you sem to have saved aload of money by not buying one of those allard ripoff pipes and doing it all properly as well. So the blanking plate does the same job as the delete kit right?

Why is the Allard pipe a rip off?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Why is the Allard pipe a rip off?
60 odd quid for a shiney pipe that you can do for almost no cost with the exact same results, you do the math.

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
its more than just a shiny pipe... you get more air flowing through it cos its shiny!

you get rid of all the valves that hinder flow. A nice boost gauge take off. for the money its reasonable you cant doubt that!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I think the Allard could possibly offer a bigger improvement in performance than simply blanking the exhaust feed into the EGR as the stock valve has a big plunger in the way whereas the Allard is literally straight through with no obstruction. Whether you would actually feel the difference is another story however.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I also removed my EGR and also ws the best thing i did also removed the cat . and it had on problem going through the diesel test

so even better

·
Registered
772 Posts
Looking to try the EGR Delete sometime. I've cleaned the worst of the muck out of the EGR and part of the inlet but it's still there even if the solenoid is disconnected. Once I have the Allard or similar I will be able to compare both mods back to back and see what difference there is. Also got a de-cat fitted so should be interesting to see if any real gains are to be had.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just had my EGR deleted and it through up a warning light which i got mapped out at the same time i got my ST3 remap.

Cars running smoother and will hopefully get the intake and a few other maintenance items resolved.

ive posted a pic up in my gallery of my EGR, Prize winner for most gunked up atleast :D

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just had my EGR deleted and it through up a warning light which i got mapped out at the same time i got my ST3 remap.

Cars running smoother and will hopefully get the intake and a few other maintenance items resolved.

ive posted a pic up in my gallery of my EGR, Prize winner for most gunked up atleast :D
Can't see how gunked up your EGR was but I feel I still hold the record for the most gunked up one [;)]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts