Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above, and as per this this link

One leading Tory warned that the fuel duty escalator, scrapped by Labour in 1999 and which until then raised petrol duty by five per cent above inflation every year, would have to be reintroduced.
Thoughts?!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Simple.... no one will vote them in.  Interesting comment on the maglev trains though,  would be a vast improvement on current technology.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The important thing to note is that they won't be increasing the overall tax burden, merely increasing the proportion of "environmental" taxes as part of overall tax revenue. If they actually stick to this, and look to reduce taxes in other areas (as indicated below) then they'd get my vote

The shadow chancellor indicated that in return for higher "green" taxes, other taxes could fall. "I believe we in Britain should move some of the burden of taxation away from income and capital, and towards taxes on environmentally damaging behaviour," he said.

Steve Norris, the former Tory minister who now leads the party's transport policy review, later said how motorists would face higher taxes on fuel.

"This is about rebalancing taxation so that, yes, you will pay more in green taxes. You will, for example, see the reintroduction of a fuel duty escalator, I'm quite sure," Mr Norris told BBC Radio 4's World at One.

He added: "Off the back of that, we could be talking about, for example, the halving of council tax."

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
100% YES !!! They have realy stuffed themselves

But If they had said

"We are going to reduce the tax on fuel by 20%, & to compensate for the loss of tax, we are sorry to say that the UK will nolonger be taking in any more assylum seekers/imigrants, thus freeing up BILLIONS £££ in benifit money they currently take up"

Then they would have my vote.

Maybe the goverment should place an add in all countries job papers

"Fed up with the 9-5 grind, feel your not getting paid enough, want a better life for you &your family.??, ...................................

Then come to the UK, well put you up in a new house, pay you £1,000's in benifits, even for those children you dont have, you'll get away with crime & anything else you wish to do"

The UK

(Formaly known as GREAT BRITAIN)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
[:D]

But If they had said

"We are going to reduce the tax on fuel by 20%, & to compensate for the loss of tax, we are sorry to say that the UK will nolonger be taking in any more assylum seekers/imigrants, thus freeing up BILLIONS £££ in benifit money they currently take up"

Maybe the goverment should place an add in all countries job papers

"Fed up with the 9-5 grind, feel your not getting paid enough, want a better life for you &your family.??, ...................................

Then come to the UK, well put you up in a new house, pay you £1,000's in benifits, even for those children you dont have, you'll get away with crime & anything else you wish to do"

The UK

(Formaly known as GREAT BRITAIN)

·
Registered
730 Posts
As much as i truly DESPISE Blair and new labour, i could never bring myself to vote for Cameron, as i think he's more of a fraud than Blair himself.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Just to add to my last post, why do they pick on the motorist all the time ??

Lets go back in time here:

The UK were ONCE a leading force in manufacture & production, but now produce almost nothing, but what has this caused to happen >>>>

1: Massive container ships crossing from the far east, burning 100's of TONS of fuel a day to fullfill our consumer needs.

2: An increase of Road Haulage due to #1, originaly most freight was moved around the country on Canels or by train to the nearest dock/station, but as these arent as quick, the lorry took over.

3: An increase in goods being airfreighted across the globe due to high consumer demand & bad supplier/buyer planning.

4: A decrease in people on bicycles, how many towns had a local factory which had 100's if not 1,000'sof people cycling to work every day, who now comute to work in their car, 99% of the time on their own.......

2p

·
Registered
796 Posts
Problem is mate, despite all those extra costs associated with transporting goods over the world, it's still cheaper to manufacture them elsewhere and ship them in than produce them over here.

Thats why we see major manufacturers setting up in China, India etc.

Why is this? Market forces. Look at all the GB's people joinn in on, and rightly so. why? To save a few quid. The consumer is king I'm afraid and people will always want to pay lower prices for their goods.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I reckon they have been foolish and they have already damaged their hopes at the next election whenever it may be.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I like the fact they say fuel duty will rise and other taxes could fall .... not won't fall ...I agree with the comments about the Uk being taken over and spending £££ on support other countrys problems. Originally I thought they were going to scrap RFL and put the price on fuel making thirsty cars pay for being gas guzzelers, also with road toll charges looking very likely over the next few years pretty soon it will cost you more to go to work than you actually earn. Public transport for me is not an option, unless I don't mind leaving 3 hours early for work and getting home 3 hours later, and will there be somewhere safe to leave my bike otherwise I cannot get to the bus station ... trains are no better in my area they often get cancelled and the last train stops just gone 9 in the evening. Pretty soon were all going to be fecked.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The price of base fuel is a lot less than the forecourt price. Its just that our Government are greedy.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

But If they had said

"We are going to reduce the tax on fuel by 20%, & to compensate for the loss of tax, we are sorry to say that the UK will no longer be taking in any more assylum seekers/imigrants, thus freeing up BILLIONS £££ in benifit money they currently take up"

They'd have mine aswell, but somehow I just don't see that happening.

Regardless of which government are in office they're all as bad as each other. Cameron is just another egotistical self promoter like slimey Blair.

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
I'd vote for that

Any party prepared to increase tax on energy who then spends it on improving transport infrastructure would get my vote.

Tax on road fuel is something you have a choice about. If you don't already drive a 60mpg+ small diesel then you have a choice about how much you spend on fuel. You also have the choice to travel less. If you can't afford fuel, then get public transport that could be funded by the increase in tax on fuel.

Fuel is still cheaper in real terms than it was in the 80's and early 90's, so stop your wingeing. At least if they take the burden off direct taxation, and actually give you the choice as to whether you buy, fuel, ****, beer etc then you have a choice.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tax on road fuel is something you have a choice about. If you don't already drive a 60mpg+ small diesel then you have a choice about how much you spend on fuel. You also have the choice to travel less. If you can't afford fuel, then get public transport that could be funded by the increase in tax on fuel.
Unfortunately, in the real world, things are not as clear cut as that.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
And public transport is not that cheap or practical i'm off to London tomrrow which will cost £65 return, if my company was to send 4 people then it would be cheaper to take a car. And at least in the car I can be guarenteed a seat and have aircondition that actually works

1 - 17 of 17 Posts