Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had my GT TDi 130 serviced at my non VW Garage and although I mentioned the PD Oil I'm not 100% sure that they've used it. One reason for this is it kicked out a load of greyish dusty crap when I started it for the first time today. It smelt different too, more like truck fumes.

Am I being paranoid or are these the signs of using a non-PD brand of oil ?? [^o)]

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
What does it say on your invoice? i would maybe recomend supplying your own oil if taking to a back street garage,in my experience only the clued up ones have even heard of pd oil.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a GT TDI PD150,

Ive recently changed the oil in mine, but i bought Shell Diesel oil, will i do any damage as its not PD oil?

Think it was called Shell Helix Diesel Plus.

I heard you have to use good oil or the car just rejects it, as no light come on in the dash i presumed it was ok oil.

Any feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Done a Google search for 'Shell Helix Diesel Plus' and it brings up a 10w40 grade oil,is this the one you used? If it is i'm afraid you have used the wrong spec oil,you require one which meets 505.01 spec on the bottle,that one only meets 505.00 which is non PD engines.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a GT TDI PD150,

Ive recently changed the oil in mine, but i bought Shell Diesel oil, will i do any damage as its not PD oil?

Yes it will damage the pump injectors - I would change it asap for 505.01, 506.01 or 507.01. Expect to pay ?40 - ?50 for the oil

Sarge

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My engine seems very rough when it first kicks in (and this is just after a service) and kicks out a load more crap.

MPG seems to have gone down too. Is this the sign of an incorrect oil?

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
135 Posts
Guys, the oil that Halfords have given you is the Longlife oil VW use for the 20k service schedules and although is usable in the engines is not PD oil. The two are not ideally mixed either. If you are on 10k or 1year service schedule then only PD oil will do, as stated in other posts it will damage your car to put the wrong stuff in! PD oil is ?28.85+vat and the part number from VW is zgb115qlb00462 for a gallon tub, more than enough for your engine.

Matt, VW employee

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a GT TDI PD150,

Yes it will damage the pump injectors - I would change it asap for 505.01, 506.01 or 507.01. Expect to pay ?40 - ?50 for the oil

Sarge
Thanks for the advice, had it in there for about 6months, just hope it hasnt damaged anything!

Just checked on german and swedish site, is this oil any good?

https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/results.asp

98002F ENG OIL-5W40 5L QUANTUM ALL PD VOLKSWAGEN ENGINES*** ?24.50

Or is it better just to go and buy it from the stealers?

Also will i need to flush the old stuff out or can i just drain then refil?

Thanks.

Oh and how will i tell if ive knackered up my injectors? spose it would just run like crap?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds ok mate but the link doesnt show it. As long as its PD oil or a Quantum equiv it should be ok. You should also be ok to just change the oils without flushing it, the leftover in the sump really wont affect the running or performance.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I had not come on this forum I would not have started worrying about using the PD oil and although VW have advised me this is the best oil to use I seriously think that if the oil was that crucial it would be common knowledge throughout the motor trade.

My theory is that the non VW garage I bought my car from serviced it before I picked it up, therefore what ever oil they used would have been in it when I sent it in the get serviced recently, and so my earlier comments about lower MPG and rough runnning must just be paranoyer and linked to the freezing whether we have had in Manchester for the past week.

I called the garage this morning and they told me they used the Fully Synthetic oil suitable for all Turbo Diesel engines (something/40)

·
Registered
135 Posts
On your head be it mate, i work in a VW dealership and have seen the negative effects of using the wrong oil (including a complete engine replacement), but if you want to take the word of a 'garage' that uses fully synthetic oil for all turbo diesels then go for it! With non-pd engines this is fine and it may just seem like a way for VW to make you buy their oil for the servicing...but it is for a reason! They design the engines to such a fine tolerance that only certain oils and even screenwash (which is synthetic based too due to the fine spray from the jets which gets blocked by ordinary screenwash!) will be acceptable.

You've bought the VW product, so unfortunately you are tied to them for certain things [:S]

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thing is, if they used the wrong one when they serviced it when I bought it I have done 15k miles in it

If they have used the wrong one since last Wednesday I have done about 400 miles in it.

I take it I am now too late to catch it before the negative effects take their tole?

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
135 Posts
It depends on the reputation of the car sales firm that serviced it before you bought it. Most guys in the trade know about the PD and Longlife services of the VAG group and we certainly supply trade with those oils, it is possible that they have used the correct oil in that service and you've only done 400miles with the wrong oil.The master-tech where i work is not aware of any physical symptoms of the wrong oil being used except that it may damage the injectors as they require lubrication by the properties in the PD oil.

His advice...get it changed asap and pray its ok!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Guys,

I think it's worth mentioning that PD engines must have PD Oils and here is the reason:

The VW pd engines are very severe on the oil, the mechanical fuel pump delivers fuel at approx. 25,000 psi !!!!! to enable a very precise injector spray pattern which, in turn, gives excellent driving characteristics. The very high loads on the fuel pump will lead to VI improver shear down and oil viscosity loss if the engine is operated on lesser oils.

The specifications for these oils are as follows:

Old VW Specs VW505.01 Fixed Service (Viscosity 5w-40) / VW506.01 Variable Service (Viscosity 0w-30)

New VW Specs VW507.00 covers both fixed and variable servicing (Viscosity 5w-30)

We tend to recommend the following products as they are factory fill for VW.

Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL LL 0w-30 (VW506.01)

Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL PD (Plus) 5w-40 (VW505.01)

Fuchs Titan GT1 VW 5w-30 (VW507.00 & VW504.00)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Simon

http://www.opieoils.co.uk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At the end of the day though I can get it changed at VW for ?70, which is well worth it I think, and if I add that to the cost of my service at my local non VW garage, that will have still only cost me ?200, that's ?80 less than VW quoted for a full service excluding additional work (which I am sure they would have 'found')

Thing is though, if my car f*cks up cos it has had the wrong oil in it, then surely the garage should be held liable, also, how the hell can you be sure the car has ever had the right oil in it (aparrt from when spanking new) if it hasnt been done at VW?

·
Registered
135 Posts
You cant!

With VW servicing you get a 205point check on the vehicle with every service and a free car wash, thats why you pat a bit more for Dealer servicing. They may find some 'extras', but wouldnt you rather they found it now than some 'fred in a shed' kicked your car out with a potentially dangerous fault cos he's only done what he's been asked and couldnt be bothered to look at anything else???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts