Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Hybrid has recently started to make a strange noise. Hard to describe but under acceleration you get the really loud sucking and spooling noise (lovely, we all like a bit of that), however mine has started to make a very cool but also worrying jet engine sound. Under acceleration it makes the sound of a Jet engine powering up?

No loss of power that i can feel but the car does seem to be smoking black a bit more than usual?

Anyone got an thoughts? (Hybrid has done about 40K now).

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
did you check for boost leaks around the hoses? my car the last couple of days was making a strange loud whistling noise but only on part throttle but once floored it disappeared but has stopped making the noise today, ive no idea what it was.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles has your hybrid done?  This sound is all the time under load, and is very loud you can hear from inside the car!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes but i have done 40 odd thousand miles on it now....

(not that i am trying to defend the bunch of lying cowboy ******s)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is possible i am running slightly more boost than you (i have a little more power)? I thought that 50k was respectable for a hybrid and considering that i drive Very hard 99.99999% of the time i was not unhappy with 40k? You think i should be unhappy? Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
You might have more power, but you're dealing with different data (Micky's "own" dyno tests vs. what AmD told you) so they are probably similar.

Presumably you're not facing a bill for a new turbo, just a rebuild? That should be about ?350? If so, thats a bearable expense.

Sorry, I meant to email you and share some experiences with hybrids - I intend to when I get some time v soon (paternity leave beckons!)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ARE YOU KIDDING??? When my car was put AMD's rollers after they had done the conversion it was 154BHP and i have the graph to prove it. Take into account the fact when it arrived it was 179 bhp(REVO) thats pretty cak for ?4000.

No no no, after a lot of grief and hard work (back and forth Oxford to Devon) i took it to my local VW Stealer who diagnosed the prob in 45mins (oh and also fixed it under warranty (RESULT)). AMD had not put the car back together properly (Of course i was shocked....[:O]). Later Rolling roaded at TSR at 209 BHP and Stealth at 210, after a bit more fiddling. Thats why i think i may have more boost or could just be devation in RR's of course. I only have the standard air box and Side Mounted IC at the moment which i plan to upgrade.

Oh and what made me really laugh is when the VW chap took it for a test drive after fixing it, he got out and said wow these diesels really are fast! [:D]

·
Registered
445 Posts
Diesel4. If you having your turbo rebuilt, will it be to same spec as
before? Allard aren't the only ones who offer the 'bigger' injectors
now for the PD, ideal opportunity to aim for more BHP??

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
one thing id love to know is how over 200bhp is possible with the side mounted intercooler, even with just revo i was getting over 60 degree temps, if you are getting those figures your car must be very smokey under full load at top end or your getting lots of heat soak effects? also thats what the hybrid is for, its for running higher boost reliably so id imagine it should last over 100k

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That was not My tale of woe that was a brief insight.

I am hoping to get 225bhp when i get the FMIC i will have a comp custom re map and i will sort out the air box. I have thought about bigger injectors but i am down to 30mpg as it is! [:)]

·
Registered
990 Posts
To get 210 odd brake you would need an uprated IC, and for 225bhp I think you'll find you do need a set of injectors. I know a guy who had a fabia vrs with hybrid and seat sport fmic. The most they got out the car was 210 and the limiting factor was the clutch. I was told the std smic was only good for 185-190bhp.

Also have you got an uprated clutch, because the std one is dud well before the 200bhp mark.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The intercooler does not increase the BHP just stops you loosing it.  I have 211 BHP on 3 different RR.  As for the clutch i have over 350 Lbs/ft of torque on the standard clutch, my car has done 80k (40k at this power) and i have never once had a prob,  I also pull out my boat occasionally which is 1 1/2 ton and have no probs there either, (just a little burning which is to be expected). 

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
what boost pressure you running? whats the smoke like under full throttle at high revs? before i got my FMIC i got some custom remapping done and when i decreased the boost a little without touching the fuelling my bhp went up! because the SMIC was heating up.

aFMIC should give you more bhp in conjuction with higher boost pressure but on its own without increasing boost wont, but wont have as much heat soak.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts