Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were always moaning about this country. However, the majority of us are all aged 20-35, so one generation really.

But, has this country got worse over the past 20 years, or is it just that we are now old enough to appriciate politics, economics, violence etc etc, whereas in our childhood and teen years, we really couldn't have cared less.

Would like a decent discussion on this....thoughts people? Has it always been like this, and were only just coming to appriciate it?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I guess you understand more about whats going on around you when your older.

Proably should get started on this, as I get a little het up about it..

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
It has definetly got worse, My family has run the same business for the past 30 years and things are indcredibly difficulyt now.

• Crime and disorder is unreal... if you think the papers paint a bad picture its actullly worse out there.
  • Goverment red tape and burocracy is ridiculous, its like italy and spain 30/40 years ago.
  • Apathy in the police force leading to innefective policing.
  • A criminal Justice system that is geared around lawyers, there fees and not effective justice for victims and families.
  • Social and political apathy by the population, maybe if people were more polictical and used rights to demonstarte we would be better off
  • Corruption in local government, there is massive amounts of corruption in public schemes now.. not goood

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
What a silly question, of course its got worse.

The UK is the aim of every imigrant in the whole of Europe, if not the world. Once your here you can claim for everything & not bother doing a days work in your life, even if you HATE the country & everything it stands for, you'll stay because its such a good thing.

The reason you have all these Hoodies now is because they get zero punishment at school & home, having a PE Slipper across the palms of your hands or the cane 3 times put you in your place, that I can tell you.

1000's of drivers on the road are uninsured, untaxed, no mot or even a licence, they get away with it because the traffic dept's of most forces have been replaced with Gatsos & specs, Nottingham force no longer has a M'way division, & they have the M1 & A1 running through them. I got done for speeding the other week, & I'm proud to say it was by an unmarked, not a yellow box.

Everything is wrong wrong wrong for the honest working person in the UK, why work when you can claim for life.

I could go on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on , but I've a job to do .............

·
Registered
780 Posts
How many here can say I live in Great Britian and mean the Great part.

Imigration is a problem, too much money and time is being spent on this problem when there are many more things that need to be dealt with to get us back on track.

We are too dependant on imports to survive, should we end up in a war, we would not survive on what we produce as a country.

Besides the imigration, people are too suspicious, paraniod and scared of different things, chav's with hoodies, rockers with black makeup, asians speaking in their language, young lads in cars, there's so many stereotypes all with negative characteristics.

Trust in the law enforcements has gone, all people seem to see is them doing people for speeding and dealing with "racial" problems when it's usually just few lads fighting or neighbours arguing. My mate once reported an illegal driver and they said they can't do anything and me and 3 mates were once being chased and almost rammed off road 3 times, chased for 20mins and speeds of 100mph, the guys had knives and weapons, we rang police whilst in the car, they didn't seem bothered and mates even went in twice to report and get update, they gave reg numbers, facial discriptions, but nothing at all was done!

People today seem over sensitive to racial issues, this is causing ethnics to become over sensitive and "cry wolf" too often and causing white people to become annoyed/angry with anyone ethnic resulting in split communities and violence.

I could go on about all sorts, underaged mothers, housing prices and priority, personal property protection, un-disaplined youth etc etc but whats the point.

It's a shame to see this happening to a once great country, I for one do not ever want to have children with the state of things and believe there's a racial civil war on the way.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I haven't voted because I think it is better in a lot of ways, and worse in others. The standard of living for the majority of people has become better, public services are better in the main for people. Public transport is better, we have more choice as consumers, we have more choice in entertaiment due to advances in technology, less violence at football matches, the list is endless of positives. Of course there are minuses, but when you look at them are they any worse than things were 20/30 years ago?

People are going to say rubbish, the NHS is in a worse state, transport is bad, crime is at record levels, but is it? I know I was in hospital about 20 years ago as a child and I still remember the stench and site of all the full bedpans in the ward toilet which hadn't been emptied due to lack of staff, my father caught MRSA in hospital about 9 years ago and that hospital has now turned itself around to be one of the best in it's region. Buses and trains 20 years ago used to be delapidated and ageing stock, but now the majority of local authorities in cities have invested heavily in new stock and technology, more run on time than they used to. Yes we have a lot of social disorder problems, but mainly in small towns and areas of cities that have a drug problem. The majority of youngsters and adults in most areas are still law abiding. The bad areas were bad 20 years ago and drugs were starting to be a large contributing factor to crime and civil disobedience even then. Racism was abundent 20 years ago, and it still is. Have things really changed?

I think in some ways your right that being older we are more aware of it now. I don't think the country is heading fast to meltdown, and I think just putting your head in the sand and waiting for that to happen is as bad as contributing to it. We live in a great country, with problems and plus points but where hasn't?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't voted because I think it is better in a lot of ways, and worse in others. The standard of living for the majority of people has become better, public services are better in the main for people. Public transport is better, we have more choice as consumers, we have more choice in entertaiment due to advances in technology, less violence at football matches, the list is endless of positives. Of course there are minuses, but when you look at them are they any worse than things were 20/30 years ago?

People are going to say rubbish, the NHS is in a worse state, transport is bad, crime is at record levels, but is it? I know I was in hospital about 20 years ago as a child and I still remember the stench and site of all the full bedpans in the ward toilet which hadn't been emptied due to lack of staff, my father caught MRSA in hospital about 9 years ago and that hospital has now turned itself around to be one of the best in it's region. Buses and trains 20 years ago used to be delapidated and ageing stock, but now the majority of local authorities in cities have invested heavily in new stock and technology, more run on time than they used to. Yes we have a lot of social disorder problems, but mainly in small towns and areas of cities that have a drug problem. The majority of youngsters and adults in most areas are still law abiding. The bad areas were bad 20 years ago and drugs were starting to be a large contributing factor to crime and civil disobedience even then. Racism was abundent 20 years ago, and it still is. Have things really changed?

I think in some ways your right that being older we are more aware of it now. I don't think the country is heading fast to meltdown, and I think just putting your head in the sand and waiting for that to happen is as bad as contributing to it. We live in a great country, with problems and plus points but where hasn't?
Exactly what I was thinking....hence this post!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Crime and disorder have got far worse, as I stated above we have ran the same business for 30 years in Liverpool and parts of Manchester.

• We have found the use of firearms was once unheard off now it happens constantly, probably twice a year as against 1 every 10 years in the 80's
  • knifes are now used almost all the time, probably 3-4 times a year
  • breaking and enetering, almost always involves violence against staff to get keys, wheeras it used to be forced entry.
  • random petty crimes such as theft from deliveries is massive.
  • staff fraud. much more preval;ent, seems people are less honest than they once were.

I notice people mentioned well there has always been disorder IE riots or footie violence, well the difference is it still happens it just isnt advertised, violence in the 1st 2nd and 3rd divisions is hitting levels not seen since the 80s, its just the premiership is very well policed now so Joe Bloggs doesnt see it.

Also the violence against innocent peopl is much more prevalent. 30 years ago yes we had robberies etc.... But Staff/Security Guards and members of the public were very rarely threatened..... now it seems to be the norm to lock the femaale staff and give them a kicking or to make sure the security guard is beaten even if he hands over the cash..

Dojnt forget aswell I am comparing Liverpool and Manchester hear and these places were desparatly poor in the 70's and 80's and also had much bigger Heroine problems that they have now... So in my eyes its no longer Drugs that cause the problem its the Glamorisation of Guns and Gangs that are fueling 90% of our problems.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
This is what will be happening to the rest of the country soon... in that historiically what happens in liverpool tends to follow in the rest of the country

This is a police youtube video, made up off videos removed from youtube.... sad that these gangs of kids are literalyy 10-15 and not even "real" gangsters but the estates you see on here are absolutely terrorised by them as they are above the law.... when one of the old scholl Liverpool gangsters tried to sort this gang out he had his house peppered with an AK47 ... these kids are lunatics, they are even following police officers home to try and intimidate them

Oh and contrary to some opinions the guns are real, as are the injuries... the reall unedited videos have backing tracks to american gangster rap, and are much more shocking.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Have to say on balance, things overall better.

Anyone remember the powercuts, strikes, litter in the streets etc etc in the 70's ?

We are a world removed from that now.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Just watched that video Andy and it's shocking.

I suppose I'm lucky living in a reasonably nice part of the UK and don't see this sort of stuff.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
TBH Liverpool is great I live in a really good area with some of the best schools around me.. and we have one of the lowest urban crim rates in the country... however

The reason I posted that is too show off that we are becoming Americanised or even South Africanised. And we have Ghettos of poverty with masiive differnces in wealth, which is breeding resentment.. Everything on that video was performed on a 600 acre estate.. the people who did it live eat and exist and torture there.. they nevere ever step out...

Basically its my opinion that if we dont stop this then soon the UK is going to Mimic california or Los Angeles, in that we will have some very nice places, like cheshire but they will be surrounded by awfull places like Liverpool/Manchester/London. that will resemble the likes of compton, in LA.

My other biggest fear is that at least in SA and the USA you do have a right to defend yourself, and even have a Gun in the House.

I dont think we should be alowed Guns, but we should be allowed to have mace/pepper sprays and Tazers.. all should be heavily regualted and only for use in a house.. in fact cover the like the current shotgun legislation... we have NO RIGHTS to protect ourselves from these scum.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
There are some really good points above including the ones about how things had got better. However I voted things have got. To name but five to back my reason;

Worse;

1) Immigration - We need to take a tough stance and close the gates.

2) Political Correctness - Wayyyyyy over the score. We need to get common sense back in the scene and lose the morons that are capping our civil liberties and telling us what we can/should do or not as the case me be.

3) Politics - Too many paper pushers now and way too many layers of Government. Do we really need Local Councillors, MSP's, MP's and MEP's, all their assistants and all their expense? No. Why did we not push harder for a European Community where countries all looked out for each other and had open trade barriers, to benefit each other instead of creating a huge and expensive layer of bureaucracy known as the European Parliament which interferes with and controls far too much from far too far away.

4) Tax - Any way to get more money to match increased spending, now mostly stealth. How about a novel way to tackle this - Reduce spending! For example stopping sex change operations on the NHS, stopping handouts to spongers, stopping road signs in different languages etc etc. Also, classed under tax, why on earth is the TV licence still in place and enforced in this day of 100's of TV channels?!

5) Stupid house prices and the states ignorance of the huge amount of debt people are getting in to in order to get on to the ladder. Also the absurd increases in council tax year on year and the lower services in return for it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Looking at the results so far, I'm not surprised at the majority being the 3rd option. The only thing that worries me is the fact that most of us, including myself, beleive that the country is in a downward spiral but can't be bothered to do anything about it. This, I beleive, will contribute more to the to speed of decline than any other factor.

We are the future of the country and if the youths of today are getting worse that only means one thing, the country is going to follow suit.

Disciplin is the main problem in my opinion. There is no disciplin at any level of schooling, the courts offer out rediculous punishments for quite serious crimes.You watch a lot of police programmes and they have people on there that have commited 10+ robberies, motor offences and many more crimes, but they are still out on the streets. What does it take for people to get jail time?

Maybe life has became to easy meaning more people are pushing the boundaries of morality to get whats not easy.

I also believe that we have lost faith in the government. They are to busy trying to make the country a better place for the imigrants and forgetting about there own citizens. As people are losing faith it gives them less heart to do something about the decline of the country as they will not only fell like there fighting for the good cause but also fighting agaisnt the government.

I think i'm begining to hate my country

Dean

1 - 17 of 17 Posts