Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my wax this morning in the post! Thanks again go to Essex! I had the afternoon off so what better than to spend it in the Cornish sun, well shade but you get the idea, putting some of this stuff on! Reuslts are amazing, easy to put on, take off, unless the surface is hot to the touch.

This result by hand!!!

Posted Image

The camera is a poor 2meg effort and doesn't do half the justice!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
[:O] wow ! looks like a mirror....lol
I`ve used stage 3 megs carnauba with good results
Is this stuff any better than P21S carnauba wax?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've also used the 3 stage system and this reflection is definately a lot wetter and deeper. I've never used the P21s stuff so I couldn't comment! I wouldn't recommend anything else at the moment to be honest....

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i've used BOTH, on the same panel of car, at the same time....today in fact.

the shine levels are equal IMO, and the ease of use equal IMO.

however, the protection will last that bit longer with Harly wax. And it seems richer when you aplly it.

The real clincher is that for ?14.50 (from me) you get twice as much wax as P21s that costs ?17-?20. You do the math.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I too received my Harly wax from Escy (Top Fella, cracking product, superb deal!! [:D]).

Anyway, didn't get time to give it the full treatment being Father's Day and all that, but a quick wash and a quick layer of Harly Wax and I was well impressed with the results.

Many thanks Escy..................[H]

Posted Image

·
Registered
291 Posts
Cheers Essex.

Bloody good stuff you have been knocking out!! [:D]

I have seen it selling like it's going out of fashion, I hope everyone is as happy as I was.

The Missus wasn't to happy though. I also have a mk3 GTI in dark met purple, that just had to had a full megs stage 1, 2 & 3 and then the Harly Wax! Feels like glass still 3 weeks later.

It doesn't even need a full wash, all as I have done is hose it down and the water just beads off and leaves it gleaming. Not bad to say she is up for her 10th Anni next month.

Any closer to the GB on the wash mit?

Posted Image

·
Registered
359 Posts
Tried Harly Wax for the first time today.  It was very easy to put on and take off and left a brilliant wet shine.  Great stuff.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If we had more than 20 mins of daylight and a day without rain, then I would put some more on! I'm intrigued to what this will come up like once i've given the old girl a good clean, a scratch-x treatment, some polish and some Harly's topped of with some Autoglym EGP! Should be lovely!

But yeah anyway! Back on topic! it's good stuff eh?!

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's great stuff indeed and the tin should last a couple of years! I'm a newbie detailer but shouldn't the Harly be put on AFTER the EGP which is a sealant? Otherwise the EGP wouldn't bond to the paint surface and just get washed off with the top layer of the wax.

By the way Megs NXT Tech wax + Harly seems to be a great combination. The NXT hides swirls and gives a smooth shiney look but it's not particularly wet looking. The Harly improves the finish by making it darker and wetter, and should make the NXT last longer.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah Possibly altho I am a rank amateur in the detailing game! My logic dictates that you seal everything that is below the sealant to keep everything in. Including the wax. I'm bound to be put straight soon enough tho!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I actually think you clean the paint, claybar, cleansing paste etc, then SEAL, then wax on top.....?

I use Zymol stuff and have not sealed yet, only clayed. HD cleansed then wax'd, (hmmmm, zymol titamium!) ut am considering some sealers, so would liek to be corrected if I am wrong!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yeah Possibly altho I am a rank amateur in the detailing game! My logic dictates that you seal everything that is below the sealant to keep everything in. Including the wax. I'm bound to be put straight soon enough tho!
I see where you're coming from. But generally sealants are used INSTEAD of a wax. If you use both then the (natural) wax goes on last. So the sealant seals everything underneath except the wax which provides an extra coat of protection and shine. Examples of this method I've seen mentioned on this forum include NXT Tech wax (which is a synthetic sealant really) + P21s carnauba wax; and Klasse sealant + Harly wax.

·
ah ha ha ha this nutter posted something :-)
4,319 Posts
If we had more than 20 mins of daylight and a day without rain, then I would put some more on! I'm intrigued to what this will come up like once i've given the old girl a good clean, a scratch-x treatment, some polish and some Harly's topped of with some Autoglym EGP! Should be lovely!

But yeah anyway! Back on topic! it's good stuff eh?!
Hi that's exact;y the combo I use it's great, gives a really good deap shine plus last's for ages too, as do the tin's had mine for about a year and half waxing about once a month on average.

This is how it's looks when it rains just after polishing.

Posted Image

Can't recomend this stuff enough!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd say P21s is the better wax, for out and out gloss and shine. It gives a wetter look but doesn't last quite as long. Both Collinite Waxes are by far the better option also for winter also IMHO as they are much more durable.

Sealants go under a wax, they won't bond on top of one, so eventhough it will look ok, it basically will wash off leaving the wax doing the protection.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts