Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the hardest thing to photograph in your opinion/experience?

Whats the thing you have most trouble in getting GOOD photos of?

Perhaps you could post examples of your difficulties, and others can respond and advise accordingly?

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
A racing car's glowing brake discs. Tried many times with film, never got anywhere near a result. Tried with digi.... not there yet, but I think it'll just have to be a plan like this: 3200 ASA, 30th shutter speed, aperture to suit, then see what I get. Make adjustments as necessary.

Of course, while the camera is set up like that I'll just have to hope that nothing else major happens. I'd really regret it missing something sellable just because I was mucking around with settings...

Tony

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
The hardest thing I have ever tried to photograph is Lightning! Near impossible on a non SLR digi cam, due to the delay on my digi cam I managed to capture it on the momentary preview of the viewer at the back of the camera, but within 1/2 sec it changed to abit of empty sky [:(] Has anyone here got any lightning pics at all???

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
I took this shot about a week after buying my 20D!

Posted Image

The 2 'strikes' are a result of the approx 8 second exposure...... trial and error!

Tony

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
What the hardest thing to photograph in your opinion/experience?
My cats, they're totally not interested in posing.

Posted Image

Normally they turn their back, or come far too close to the camera, sniff it and then walk off.

I've tried talking to them to make them look at me, but it doesn't
work... maybe holding a lump of meat would, although I'd have a hard time
getting a shot with them clawing my arm off for it!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The hardest thing I have ever tried to photograph is Lightning! Near impossible on a non SLR digi cam, due to the delay on my digi cam I managed to capture it on the momentary preview of the viewer at the back of the camera, but within 1/2 sec it changed to abit of empty sky [:(] Has anyone here got any lightning pics at all???
We hardly ever get any around here[:(] . I have been trying for years.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Normally they turn their back, or come far too close to the camera, sniff it and then walk off.

I've tried talking to them to make them look at me, but it doesn't work... maybe holding a lump of meat would, although I'd have a hard time getting a shot with them clawing my arm off for it!
You need a special camera:

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice shot i love trying to capture lightning the best way I have found to do it is tripod the wides lens you got and keep bang off 30sec exposures adjusting your aperature as you go.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
You need a special camera:

Posted Image
Lol, like they don't laugh at me enough already [:p]

kuz, those lightning photographs are brilliant! I LOVE the first one

Actually I got a nice one of the same cat on Christmas day
(although the highlights are pretty blown), he must have been in a good
mood

Posted Image

Started trying to catch them off guard instead of setting up a shot, which seems to be working

My next problem is getting true white. I metered for somewhere in the
bottom of the glass, using f2.7 - obviously that didn't work out.
Anybody got any tips?

Posted Image

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Actually I got a nice one of the same cat on Christmas day (although the highlights are pretty blown), he must have been in a good mood
You mustn't worry too much about technical perfection, I think that's a great shot. You got the whiskers, left eye perfectly, end of the nose and left ear. It just looks good, you captured the moment, I reckon.

My next problem is getting true white. I metered for somewhere in the bottom of the glass, using f2.7 - obviously that didn't work out. Anybody got any tips?
That looks pretty white to me? [:S] We're talking about the bit under the bottle and glass? Metering is for exposure, you must be thinking white balance? Or am I talking rubbish...

PS. Did you have someone blowing down the straw to make the bubbles? [:p]

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
You mustn't worry too much about technical perfection, I think
that's a great shot. You got the whiskers, left eye perfectly, end of
the nose and left ear. It just looks good, you captured the moment, I
reckon.
Thanks Shiuming, that's nice of you to say. It was the shadows I was
going for as well, started off crawling around taking photos of shadows
behind the kitchen table (it was a glorious, sunny but very frosty
Christmas morning) noticed the cat watching me & snapped

That looks pretty white to me? [:S] We're talking about the bit
under the bottle and glass? Metering is for exposure, you must be
thinking white balance? Or am I talking rubbish...
Hmm, could be the monitor thing again? Looks quite grey to me... I
never did get a calibration tool. Did you? You're right I mean both -
just giving what settings I know were used, wasn't sure what else I
needed to adjust but white balance sounds right

I'd love to say yes! [:D] But it's actually one bubble right in the middle of the thick base of the glass

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Thanks Shiuming, that's nice of you to say. It was the shadows I was going for as well
Hmm, unfortunately digital cameras just don't "see" the same as the human eye/brain combo, and you'll need to post-process. Picasa (www.picasa.com) has a brilliant fill light option. Many consumer cameras on the market have similar functions, like HP's adaptive lighting thingie and Sony's AGCS wotsit.

Hmm, could be the monitor thing again? Looks quite grey to me... I never did get a calibration tool. Did you? You're right I mean both - just giving what settings I know were used, wasn't sure what else I needed to adjust but white balance sounds right
Ah, but grey is still neutral, so in this instance it's not a case of white balance (more and more cameras now have manual white balance, mine does and I use it a lot, point it at something you know is white then press the calibrate button, but other times you can use it creatively, or just to show the light as you saw it, which in a lot of shots I've taken, just happens to be yellowy/orange) but more an issue of levels. I'm looking at it on my CRT and it looks fine.

Nope, looks fine on the laptop as well [:D]

I'd love to say yes! [:D] But it's actually one bubble right in the middle of the thick base of the glass
But instead you burst my bubble

(leaves room...)

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
You mustn't worry too much about technical perfection, I think that's a great shot. You got the whiskers, left eye perfectly, end of the nose and left ear. It just looks good, you captured the moment, I reckon.
Thanks Shiuming, that's nice of you to say. It was the shadows I was going for as well,
What I meant was, you don't necessarily have to capture the face in a way that is entirely immediately visible. I've probably taken more pics of parts of Golfs than I have of the whole car but (hopefully!) you can still see it's a Golf, and (again, hopefully!) entices your imagination to fill some in. Like this one which nosaj keeps using [;)]

Posted Image

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I'll need to try that, had Picasa installed for a long time but never
really made use of its features... I had already post-processed a
little in Photoshop but couldn't do much with it (don't have any of the
plug-ins).

You're obsessed, man... [:#]

Ah, but grey is still neutral, so in this instance it's not a case
of white balance (more and more cameras now have manual white balance,
mine does and I use it a lot, point it at something you know is white
then press the calibrate button, but other times you can use it
creatively, or just to show the light as you saw it, which in a lot of
shots I've taken, just happens to be yellowy/orange) but more an issue
of levels. I'm looking at it on my CRT and it looks fine.

Nope, looks fine on the laptop as well [:D]
Thanks for checking it... I'll definitely need to check out if this
camera has a white balance function, just didn't know what I was
looking for! I normally just use a light 'setting'... you can specify
daylight, tungsten (which is normally what I use in my kitchen, e.g.
the cake looks pretty white - or maybe I mean bright? - here to me, using tungsten setting), etc etc

Posted Image

But instead you burst my bubble

(leaves room...)
Would I lie to you Shiuming? [:p]

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
What I meant was, you don't necessarily have to capture the face in a way that is entirely immediately visible.
Yes, I completely agree... was just clarifying about why the cat's face was partly obscured [:)]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts