Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting close to a new set of boots for the car.

When I get the car back from APS on Monday I will have KW Variant 3 coilovers and a fresh remap from Superchips for my high-flow injectors. Should give the tyres plenty to think about and finish off the S03's very soon.

My all-time favourite tyre - the Bridgestone Potenza S03 is out of production - so what next? I want something as grippy as I can get away with without being a liability in all weathers.

Tyres I've had before (225/40 ZR18);

• Continental SportContact and SportContact 2 - good but too sensible for what I'm after now.
  • Dunlop SP9090 - Hateful. Waste of space.
  • Michelin Pilot Sport - they were worn when I got the car but I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Binned them immediately.
  • Pirelli P-Zero Nero - Good but too hard - S03's way better wet or dry.
  • Bridgestone Potenza S03 - great all-round tyre and will even get 20k from this set thanks mainly to the Peloquin differential!

Under consideration;

• Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 - great according to some people.
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 A - a logical choice
  • Goodyear F1 GSD3 - not keen, can't explain why!
  • Pirelli P-Zero Rosso Assimetrico - think these are a bit too compromised for what I am after
  • Yokohama Parada Spec 2 - would dive in but it worries me about the warnings at freezing temperatures, on ice and snow - reckon they could be a death trap. The tread pattern looks like a drastically but slick but you can see how they could skate over ice.
  • Yokohama Advan
Any opinions and advice gratefully received [:D]

·
Registered
501 Posts
Can highly recommend the F1 GSD3s but I doubt you'll find any as they are also out of production.  Also heard good things about the Michelins but not had experience of them first hand.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
You've already come to the right conclusion James.... ANY power full FWD car needs Bridgestone Potenzas... for some reason the VW community raves about Goodyear f1's and micheline pilot but in my experience the Goodtyears to Potenzas are like comparing Kinkpins to Goodyears....

Most of the other forums out there dedicated to powrfull FWD's seem to agree on the Bridgestones too... they are a different Leaque

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Before this set of GSD3's, i raved about them. But, on this set, i dunno, they just dont feel right. I had some on my 1.6 Golf, and my 150 1.8T and they were great. But on the Leon they are quite vague and whilst good in the wet, just understeer like a bugger in the dry.

The Michy PS2's i had on before these were better.

I've played with pressures and im even on modified suspension now, and they still dont inspire that much confidence.

·
Registered
990 Posts
This is the Bridgestone;

Posted Image
That's my wheel[H]

Don't know if I told you but I had a set of RE040's fitted to the rear. They are more comfortable than the 03's, performance wise they seem to be as good. Not sure what the difference between the 40 & 50 is though, but the tread pattern on the 50's is more similar to the 03's. Maybe Steve will know[;)]

My fronts are needing to get done soon, so may also look into the 50's (depending what sort of price I get).

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Before this set of GSD3's, i raved about them. But, on this set, i dunno, they just dont feel right. I had some on my 1.6 Golf, and my 150 1.8T and they were great. But on the Leon they are quite vague and whilst good in the wet, just understeer like a bugger in the dry.

The Michy PS2's i had on before these were better.

I've played with pressures and im even on modified suspension now, and they still dont inspire that much confidence.
i've just changed mine, i had german made gsd3's on the front, put them on the back and new chinese mad gsd3's on the front and they definately feel a bit different!! [:S]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Andy you are spot on - going to stay with Bridgestone.

dc - thought that when I saw the wheel - Mille Miglia! Steve has found me 4 x S03's for the same price as the RE050A's (you need to be careful with these as they do runflat as well as normal, and 88Y & 92Y weight ratings.) His advice is "stick with what you know" so if he can get me S03's at the time I need to change, then the smart money says have them again. Otherwise non-runflat 88Y RE050A's - good enough for the Enzo after all. [:p]

Just need the car back now! As APS have lent me their loan car I am letting them take their time to get through the job list. Can't wait to see how those KW's work!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
James stay clear of parada's whatever people say they are very edgy in the wet especially on hard cornering, just look at the sidewall and you will get what I mean alot of rubber and not much channeling of water.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Can't think of the name of the Bridgestone's fitted to Subaru STIs... but they are totally awesome for dry weather grip. Get them hot and they stick like chewing gum!

Probably useless in the wet though.. so considering it's getting near winter time, I'd say get a set of F1's and rag them till spring

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't think of the name of the Bridgestone's fitted to Subaru STIs... but they are totally awesome for dry weather grip. Get them hot and they stick like chewing gum!

Probably useless in the wet though.. so considering it's getting near winter time, I'd say get a set of F1's and rag them till spring
I can't remember off the top of my head, but I do know they are only available in 17", which is why a lot of owners forego the tasty Prodrive wheel upgrades. [:D]

·
Registered
990 Posts
dc - thought that when I saw the wheel - Mille Miglia! Steve has found me 4 x S03's for the same price as the RE050A's (you need to be careful with these as they do runflat as well as normal, and 88Y & 92Y weight ratings.) His advice is "stick with what you know" so if he can get me S03's at the time I need to change, then the smart money says have them again. Otherwise non-runflat 88Y RE050A's - good enough for the Enzo after all. [:p]

Just need the car back now! As APS have lent me their loan car I am letting them take their time to get through the job list. Can't wait to see how those KW's work!
EVO!

Ask him if he can he find another 2 lol[;)]

Didn't know they fitted them to da Enzo

I've been using Bridgestones for many years since the S02, then 03's and think they're one of the best tyres for wet weather performance, certainly better than the Pilot Sports I ran before them. I haven't used F1's so can't comment on them.

The downside is that the wear rate is quite high, I normally only get 10-12k from the fronts.

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
James

The bm has re040's on, and I rate them and the old mans porky has re050's on again which I rate. Both seem predictable and grippy, if a little noisy, and the re050's stink when they get hot.

On the glof I'm running Hankook RS2's. I've not found many road tyres that I didn't overheat on the golf. F1's fall apart under hard use. I've had tread blocks falling off front and rear. I always liked the predictability of p zeros, but they last 5 minutes, and don't seem to grip as well as they should for how soft they are.

The Hankook's are a hardish track tyre. They come with a full 8mm of tread, and are 125ish for an 18. They seem to last well, 6k on my front set, and 5mm left, and they clear standing water well. They grip better than any tyre i've tried on damp roads, and when hot will hold first gear in the dry in mine.

Paradas are crap. Good in the dry, but transition from grip to no grip is a fine line. In the wet they're just dangerous.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I do know they are only available in 17", which is why a lot of owners forego the tasty Prodrive wheel upgrades. [:D]
Bugger, nvm - probably would have fried the clutch anyway!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
if you can find them yoko advan AO46 are very good but very very very rare.

Like AO48 track tyres but with a more road bias cut i.e.stiff sidewalls etc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts