Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Got my 03 mk4 1.6 aobut a month ago and love it. however on my previous car, punto 1.2, i could set off in first quite fast, then clutch down, straight into 2nd, clutch out and all would feel smooth and could set off quite fast.

However on the golf, i set of in first, clutch in, then it doesnt go into 2nd nowhere near as easily as any of the other gears and like going into 2nd on the punto, so by time its in gear and let clutch out ive lost abit of momentum and its like starting again.

I changed the clutch as soon as i bought it as it was juddering and had 80k on it but it was the same before that had done.

Im sourcing a bleeding kit to bleed the gearbox and brakes but anyone know of any other ways? or know if this is a common problem or are 1.6 mk4's just like this?

any help appreciated! [Y]

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i've had this problem with both my previous golfs 2.0 and 1.8T when cold but soon as its warmed up its smoother so ive always assumed its normal.

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or the linkages need a slight re-alignment.
im hoping its this rather than the box :/ anyone any other ideas? from experience would bleeding the brakes/clutch help? it does need doing but i wanna know if this will solve the box aswell?

Thanks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
VW boxes are terrible at changing gear when the weather is cold! There Gear oil costs a fortune to replace so i just replaced my one with a recomended one from GSF and then added some Molly slip gearbox protector which takes about 200 miles to work in but this solved all my problems. My Sisters boxer has the same problems but she had to used manufactures oil at £17 a litre as shes got LSD which the molly slip would mess up if used.

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
VW boxes are terrible at changing gear when the weather is cold! There Gear oil costs a fortune to replace so i just replaced my one with a recomended one from GSF and then added some Molly slip gearbox protector which takes about 200 miles to work in but this solved all my problems. .
Thanks bud, so you recommend using that oil with the molly slip gearbox protector? any chance you could link me to that oil?

Thanks!

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
great news! went to a local car shop n picked up some gearoil, not the vw stuff, drained all old and put in all new and its worked a treat! so smooth at changing now and and also bled the brake/clutch fluid and replaced that and the clutch is bob on aswell! so happy, thats for all your advice guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts