Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

as im aware your not allowed to use your phone whilst driving and have used either headphones or clip to my visor bluetooth, but both dont seem to be doing the job very well. I really want to put a more built in, I have been looking around, we use bury phone kits on the work vans and they seem to be ok, I have the dvd sat nav built in and just want something that has bluetooth for my phone to connect with that gives good sound quality and so people can hear me on the other end.

any recommendations, I have seen the bury bluetooth on ebay for around £50

·
Registered
472 Posts
hey

my golf came with a THB bury 'take and talk' kit in when i bought it.
i quickly whipped it out seeing as i got a HU with bluetooth calling. however i put it straight into my wives pug, and got the generic bluetooth cradle for it. excellent kit and i'd say the best in class for a basic handsfree system.

calling is clear, loud and not echo filled, unlike the cheap nokia kits i have experienced.

it can be connected through your HU with a mk5 specific adapter - although you can use a standalone speaker - and comes with automatic muting of HU music when a call comes in when you do it through the HU.

i can honestly say it is a very good kit if you want to spend ~£50 (i imagine that's for the whole lot?).
for the mk5, you will need to tap into a switched live for it though and it shouldn't take more than an hour to DIY it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yer i have a bury take and talk and it does the job, but because of all the road noise its hit and miss.

I won a parrot ck3100 kit on ebay for £60 so should tide me over. Will be all fun trying to put in it. Its a shame it was removed from a Vectra C, instead of a VW.

Anyone who has fitted a parrot kit, let me know how easy/hard it is.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Most of the parrot/bury type kits will suffer due to road noise Im afraid. Its because they use passive mics.

My OEM bluetooth uses an active mic so thats not a problem but you pay for the privilege!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi

I've just changed the bluetooth kit in my golf over to a motorola hf850 unit and it works flawlessly. total cost: 19.95 for the handsfree kit, about a fiver for the wiring harness from ebay so you don't have to cut anything up and about half an hour adapting the wiring so that the sound comes through the speakers and the head unit is muted automatically, works great after installing

every unit that you buy will usually come with a mic input, a speaker output and a 4pin 'power' cable

the mic input will be the mic

the speaker output, this wire you will cut the speaker off and connect it directly up to the 'phone' connector on the back of the head unit, (the wiring harness usually comes with the wiring already done with a 3.5mm jack on the end, you snip this off and wire it directly to the plug that connects to the speaker output on the bluetooth box)

for the power cable, the black and red are straightforward, the yellow wire goes to the 'mute' pin on your head unit, and the remaining green/blue wire connects to 'safe' or to ignition switched live, but this isn't necessary on the golfs...

if you need a hand installing it or with the wiring let me know, took me ages to figure it out on my own, will gladly make it easier for others!

:)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got the kit in the post yesterday. after having a look at it, decided to do a test fit in my mk2 as its stereo is out, checked it all worked fine. so it should be straight forward to fit, hardest parts are going to be installing the mic, removing the sat nav and fitting the lil screen.

Will attempt this on the weekend, along with everything else I want to do. Will keep you guys posted on how I get on.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers mate. Will get that lead today, also bought a parrot handsfree for my mk2 when I start using that

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
started fitting it yesterday, but once the satnav was out, I got stumped. Decided to pay someone to fit it for me, as I dont fancy breaking anything lol.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And installed, cheers to Paul from Mobile Car Solutions. Did a much better job that I could have done, put a feed off the igniton so it only comes on when the ignition is on, cuts the music out and pauses the cd/ipod unlike when I put it in and it muted but the music carried on playing. Very happy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts