Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you haven't already.

The appeal, started by pistonheads, to pay for Richard Hammond's £3,500 air lift to hospital, has now raised over £130,000! This is a great statement that car nuts are not merely selfish thrill seekers, but caring people, with proper priorities.

If you haven't given something yet, please think about it. The new target of £500,000 is probably a little ambitious, but, whatever, it's a great way to say thank you for getting him to LGI so quickly, which may have saved his life, as well as something truly positive out of a horrible accident.

You can donate here and also read news of the latest total and read messages of support left for Hamster.

·
Registered
730 Posts
err... lets not get too carried away here, don't get me wrong i like the hamster, and the air ambulance is great an all, but i and all other tax payers should expect an air ambulance to be there regardless of who you are or where you are. this is the 21st century after all.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
As far as im aware, no air ambulance is a government ammenity and they are run as charities. The Naval and RAF search and rescue Sea Kings are purely for the rescue and or recovery of military pilots and personell. They only carry out civilian rescues as a secondary task. They are not the cheapest of assets to operate.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
As far as im aware, no air ambulance is a government ammenity and they are run as charities.
Correct... they are not Government funded at all. They rely on donations to keep running, which is why you quite often see collections in town centres, outside supernmarkets etc. It's people like us that make the donations that keep the Air Ambulances running.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Same as the lifeboats (or RNLI) they are charitable too.... they all get diddly squat from the Government. its down to Us and old dears who leave there estates too them.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
A good point was raised in the papers today by Hammond's family. Giving to the Leeds air ambulance is a great gesture, but lets not forget all the other air ambulances around the country not having this recent attention.

Let this raise the plight of the air ambulances across the UK and if possible why not donate to your local air ambulance rather than just the Leeds one.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
As some of you may be aware, im in the RAF and working at Culdrose, Which is actually a naval station, but anywho, the station's search and rescue sqn has a very active charity running alongside the military funding... Without the charity, they wouldn't fly as much as they do and keep me awake into the very wee hours of the morning [:p]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A good point was raised in the papers today by Hammond's family. Giving to the Leeds air ambulance is a great gesture, but lets not forget all the other air ambulances around the country not having this recent attention.

Let this raise the plight of the air ambulances across the UK and if possible why not donate to your local air ambulance rather than just the Leeds one.
Must admit, I had wondered about this. Kind of assumed that there would be interaction between the various air ambulances, but if it really is so homespun, this may not happen.

My own feeling is that a grand gesture, such as this, will raise the profile of air ambulances, anyway. We on here already know a lot more than we did about them and how they are financed. As said above, it's a bit of a joke really, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think that its rediculous that it took some idiot in a Jet powered dragster to crash in order to raise so much money, It just shows in my opinion how stupid some people are. Hammond should have paid the £3500 it cost to airlift him to hospital, quite why people felt the need to make an appeal to cover the cost I dont know, all this effort for some bloke off the telly [:|] !

·
Registered
674 Posts
But its because it IS some bloke off the telly that they have raised so much money - apparently Leeds hospital has never received so many bouquets of flowers before so rather then sending £20 of flowers that will be dead in a week, that £20 would be going towards something rather more long lasting.

From this appeal Yorkshire may get a second Helicopter which is a good thing for the region. Also, I didnt know that Hampshire had one!

It saved his life. Thats a good thing.
Its raised the profile of the good work these Helictopters do - Thats a good thing
Now we just have to make sure they dont even think of banning Top Gear because of what seems to be, a total accident!

·
Registered
288 Posts
It shouldn't take a celebrity having an accident to raise the profile of the air ambulance but that is the way the world works, and it has made people aware of a cause that they wouldn't have thought of otherwise. If the public are willing to donate money to an otherwise underfunded organisation then surely thats a good thing. As a result of those donations, a new air ambulance will be bought which should help to save even more lives. As for the £3500 charge that was previously mentioned, I can't imagine him or his family being in a fit state to get the credit card out just yet. I'd be more concerned about his recovery than anything else and surely thats reasonable given the circumstances.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I think that its rediculous that it took some
idiot in a Jet powered dragster to crash in order to raise so much
money, It just shows in my opinion how stupid some people are. Hammond
should have paid the £3500 it cost to airlift him to hospital, quite
why people felt the need to make an appeal to cover the cost I dont
know, all this effort for some bloke off the telly [:|] !
You really have no clue do you... i just hope one day your not in an accident on the motorway above the speed limit and they say ... ohh sorry he was an idiot for breaking the speed limit lets charge him £3500... get real. or go out on a boat and the RNLI lifeboat saves you and they say... ooh your an idiot fo going out inrough seas, you should foot the bill of £5k for us saving you. Or you go to a track day and roll your car.. ohh your an idiot for driving too fast on a track.... etc etc

If you want to live in a world were you pay for your payment and rescue go and live in the USA and youll soon see that sometimes you cant and shouldnt put a price some things no matter what the public cost, search rescue and emergency medical are some of those things.

Also i am sure the hammond family will make a donation themselves as the time comes, most people actually do in these circumstances, they just dont shout or tell anyone as that would be quite gross shouting about how much i gave this charity or that charity. In fact it wouldnt suprise me if the £50k given wasnt from someone either related or close to him.

Why are people stupid for giving??? Me and my mate do a bit for a childrens cancer ward in Liverpool.. would I have done that 5 years ago? no but i do now as they cared for my mates son for 2 years till he died. The fact it took my mates son to be ill to get that attention is one thing buty hopefully by raising money etc it will help them in the future... thats how these things work.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You really have no clue do you... i just hope one day your not in an accident on the motorway above the speed limit and they say ... ohh sorry he was an idiot for breaking the speed limit lets charge him £3500... get real. or go out on a boat and the RNLI lifeboat saves you and they say... ooh your an idiot fo going out inrough seas, you should foot the bill of £5k for us saving you. Or you go to a track day and roll your car.. ohh your an idiot for driving too fast on a track.... etc etc

If you want to live in a world were you pay for your payment and rescue go and live in the USA and youll soon see that sometimes you cant and shouldnt put a price some things no matter what the public cost, search rescue and emergency medical are some of those things.

Also i am sure the hammond family will make a donation themselves as the time comes, most people actually do in these circumstances, they just dont shout or tell anyone as that would be quite gross shouting about how much i gave this charity or that charity. In fact it wouldnt suprise me if the £50k given wasnt from someone either related or close to him.

Why are people stupid for giving??? Me and my mate do a bit for a childrens cancer ward in Liverpool.. would I have done that 5 years ago? no but i do now as they cared for my mates son for 2 years till he died. The fact it took my mates son to be ill to get that attention is one thing buty hopefully by raising money etc it will help them in the future... thats how these things work.
First of all I think that you will find that if you are involved in an RTA then you do have to pay for the ambulance under the "Road Traffic (NHS Charges) Bill - 8 Dec 1998" the bill is designed for the NHS to recover costs from insurers, however this cost can be placed onto the driver, depending on circumstances. Now whether this covers and includes the air ambulance im not sure, it depends on the whole charity aspect. So whether i'm travelling in excess or within the speed limits and am invovled in an RTA then I will have to pay for the emmergency services. RNLI are a charity based organisation I believe, again I do not know if they charge people for their services, perhaps they should?

What is clear is that the accident was not an ordinary RTA, it was someone driving a jet powered dragster, now as far as im aware, he is not a career dragster driver, infact has he ever driven a dragster before? He took the risk and paid the price. I put it to this way then, what if there had been another RTA but on an ordinary road, where someone was seriously ill, who should have the priority? Someone who attempted a pointless UK record attempt, or the ordinary road user.

You outline your motivation for doing charity work clearly, and what is apparent is its clearly a selfish attitude i.e. I will wait till something happens that affects me till I do anything about it. Let me ask you, Does it make it easier to sleep at night knowing that you have done your bit for charity? How long will you continue before you feel that the debt has been repaid, i mean 2 years worth of care is quite a while when you add up all the nurses and doctors that were involved etc, perhaps you can make it a lifetime goal to help, how much is enough?

I would say that the people are stupid for donating because they have done so after some minor celebrity was injured whilst filming for tv program, and that the method of transportation to get him to the hospital was an Air ambulance, and people have donated not because the air ambulance is a charity but because Richard Hammond was injured, and they all felt sorry for him and his family etc etc. Yes I do expect that he would probably make a donation to the charity, but only because of the positive publicity it will generate, and because of the negitive publicity it would create if he didn't. And how do you know most people make donations if they dont shout about it and tell people, do you know most people?

Quite how you came to the conclusion that I have no clue im not sure, maybe it was a rushed reply on your behalf, maybe it was because i'm not one of the sheep wishing him to get better, even though they (i presume) don't know him, or creating a UKmkiv's card, which I find totally laughable! Do you think he would be even remotely bothered? maybe he would, perhaps it would serve to inflate his ego, "Oh look all these people that don't know me, made me a card, how nice" Or maybe you just fancied having a go, who knows.?

I agree that it is good for the charity, and the fact that they can afford to get another helicopter is also very good news, just disgusting source of motivation to give to a charity.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

First of all I think that you will find that if you are involved in an RTA then you do have to pay for the ambulance under the "Road Traffic (NHS Charges) Bill - 8 Dec 1998" the bill is designed for the NHS to recover costs from insurers, however this cost can be placed onto the driver, depending on circumstances. Now whether this covers and includes the air ambulance im not sure, it depends on the whole charity aspect. So whether i'm travelling in excess or within the speed limits and am invovled in an RTA then I will have to pay for the emmergency services. RNLI are a charity based organisation I believe, again I do not know if they charge people for their services, perhaps they should?

The cost of treatment in an RTA is only covered if theer is PI costs, it is not paid for by the injured or cause of the accident... and nor should it be, insurance yes not not a private individual.

What is clear is that the accident was not an ordinary RTA, it was someone driving a jet powered dragster, now as far as im aware, he is not a career dragster driver, infact has he ever driven a dragster before? He took the risk and paid the price. I put it to this way then, what if there had been another RTA but on an ordinary road, where someone was seriously ill, who should have the priority? Someone who attempted a pointless UK record attempt, or the ordinary road user.

Where do you draw the Line, many off us go on track days and dont hold MSA licenses, and are cars are not track prepared, many uf us tray surfing/sailing/bungee jumping.. hell football But WE are not proffesionals should we not do it even under controoled conditions? just in case we may be injured? if we are should we have too foot the bill personally? Tell you whwat shall we have clauses in our national insurance schemes to say do not...... do this as you aint covered with your meagre contributuions to the NHS .

You outline your motivation for doing charity work clearly, and what is apparent is its clearly a selfish attitude i.e. I will wait till something happens that affects me till I do anything about it. Let me ask you, Does it make it easier to sleep at night knowing that you have done your bit for charity? How long will you continue before you feel that the debt has been repaid, i mean 2 years worth of care is quite a while when you add up all the nurses and doctors that were involved etc, perhaps you can make it a lifetime goal to help, how much is enough?

I ts not selfish, at all in fact I had all the usual direct debits of xyz to the usual charitys before it, BUT what it did was draw my attention to a cause that is very little publicised as it affects so few people, before he got is condition I knew nothing of the oncology ward at Alder Hey.. nor did most, I knew alot abourt the phsiotherapy ward as i was treated there so every so often would give them something... but once the overlooked oncology ward was highlighted to me we concentrated on that.

I would say that the people are stupid for donating because they have done so after some minor celebrity was injured whilst filming for tv program, and that the method of transportation to get him to the hospital was an Air ambulance, and people have donated not because the air ambulance is a charity but because Richard Hammond was injured, and they all felt sorry for him and his family etc etc. Yes I do expect that he would probably make a donation to the charity, but only because of the positive publicity it will generate, and because of the negitive publicity it would create if he didn't. And how do you know most people make donations if they dont shout about it and tell people, do you know most people?

No but i know quite a few affluent people, either relatives, friends or close acquantances, and I think you would be quite amazed to see how much people give to charitys on a regualr basis.. and mosts people keep it very wekll hidden as they find it quite gross to talk or disclose it because of stupid sceptical attitudes like yours that assume people give to charity to make themselves feel better or to sleep better... Most people do it because they know that really they are a hell of a lot better off than most people in this world. Dont all of us in this country are in the top 10% wealthiest of the worlds population.. so we are bound to be generous

Quite how you came to the conclusion that I have no clue im not sure, maybe it was a rushed reply on your behalf, maybe it was because i'm not one of the sheep wishing him to get better, even though they (i presume) don't know him, or creating a UKmkiv's card, which I find totally laughable! Do you think he would be even remotely bothered? maybe he would, perhaps it would serve to inflate his ego, "Oh look all these people that don't know me, made me a card, how nice" Or maybe you just fancied having a go, who knows.?

No maybe I didnt mean No clue, I meant a sceptic who must wish we all lived in a selfish introverted world were we take no risks and if we do and it goes wrong we must pay for iot ourselves.. i also think your attitude to people who give to charity is totally warped and you have no rell concept of people being selfless or unselfish... so I pity you more than anything

I agree that it is good for the charity, and the fact that they can afford to get another helicopter is also very good news, just disgusting source of motivation to give to a charity.
PS I havent given to the air ambuklance as I have goven my allocation to other stuff this year.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The cost of treatment in an RTA is only covered if theer is PI costs, it is not paid for by the injured or cause of the accident... and nor should it be, insurance yes not not a private individual.

1. Where do you draw the Line, many off us go on track days and dont hold MSA licenses, and are cars are not track prepared, many uf us tray surfing/sailing/bungee jumping.. hell football But WE are not proffesionals should we not do it even under controoled conditions? just in case we may be injured? if we are should we have too foot the bill personally? Tell you whwat shall we have clauses in our national insurance schemes to say do not...... do this as you aint covered with your meagre contributuions to the NHS .

2. I ts not selfish, at all in fact I had all the usual direct debits of xyz to the usual charitys before it, BUT what it did was draw my attention to a cause that is very little publicised as it affects so few people, before he got is condition I knew nothing of the oncology ward at Alder Hey.. nor did most, I knew alot abourt the phsiotherapy ward as i was treated there so every so often would give them something... but once the overlooked oncology ward was highlighted to me we concentrated on that.

3. No but i know quite a few affluent people, either relatives, friends or close acquantances, and I think you would be quite amazed to see how much people give to charitys on a regualr basis.. and mosts people keep it very wekll hidden as they find it quite gross to talk or disclose it because of stupid sceptical attitudes like yours that assume people give to charity to make themselves feel better or to sleep better... Most people do it because they know that really they are a hell of a lot better off than most people in this world. Dont all of us in this country are in the top 10% wealthiest of the worlds population.. so we are bound to be generous

4. No maybe I didnt mean No clue, I meant a sceptic who must wish we all lived in a selfish introverted world were we take no risks and if we do and it goes wrong we must pay for iot ourselves.. i also think your attitude to people who give to charity is totally warped and you have no rell concept of people being selfless or unselfish... so I pity you more than anything

PS I havent given to the air ambuklance as I have goven my allocation to other stuff this year.
1. There is a clear and distinct difference to playing a bit of sport like football or surfing, and driving cars at track days, and driving jet powered cars. Controlled environments should be organised to cater for the event and the people attending, therefore track days have safety precautions for legal reasons and to minimise the chance of being sued. Have you ever had a winter holiday, i.e. snowboarding, skiing? You have to take out insurance for doing these activities to cover the cost of injury and medical treatment, maybe something similar should be introduced here? and there is every possibility that such clauses could be introduced as a way of cutting costs of the NHS, especially with the current government.

2. Your initial reply read in a way that insinuated that you were compelled into charitable work after you was directly affected by the loss of your friends child.

3. I too know a few affluent people, a couple of friends and their acquaintances.. some of them give to charity and some do not, and a few of them like to do charity work for the Round Table, what is evident is that a lot of the people are there not because of their benevolence, but because they enjoy the social environment and like to think of themselves "doing their bit". I know that financially a vast majority of people in this country are better of than some countries, so what? Why does being more better off than someone else mean that you are more inclined to be charitable? At its most basic level the act of giving is to recieve, a donation may not be personally attributed to one person, or people may not tell people about their charitable work; but at the same time they will get a sense of personal satisfaction knowing that they "have done their bit" otherwise it would imply that it is done with no emotion at all.

4. I am a realist..and you clearly appear to be an idealist...the world in which we live is indeed selfish, a by product of capitalism, Yes I am a sceptic I think that it helps protect your interests, No I do not want to live in a world where people take no risks, I dont believe that I said I did! and ultimately I think that charity begins at home and thats capitalism for you too.

A totally selfless unselfish act is a rare thing indeed, I think if people want to give their money to charities then good for them, I never questioned the existance of charities, what I questioned was people's motivation for donating to just west yorkshire air ambulance? I wonder how many of them were from the area? Why didnt they donate to their local air ambulance (if they have one) if they werent.

Save your pity for one of your charities, I am certainly not in need of it.... also how do you decide which charity is more worthy than others, is it a lucky dip? I would rather spend my money on myself and family than give it to others, that is not a bad thing; it means that we are provided for and live comfortably and the more money you have the better life can be.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it would have been a requirement that Hammond was insured for the stunt, either personally or by the BBC, public liability insurance certainly would have been in place.

I also doubt that he's currently receiving care on the NHS.

·
Registered
288 Posts

Whilst I acknowledge that everyone is entitled to their opinion, I cannot see why you would not want to see Hammond recover. I realise that I, along with most other people on the forum don't know him and probably never will. What I do know is that he has two young children, and whilst you may not agree with what he's done (or perhaps you dislike his TV persona), I would not wish anyone's children to grow up with a father that is brain dead, or perhaps even dead. For that reason, I will continue to show my support for his recovery and I will hope that he can return to full health. Perhaps that makes me a sheep but I really couldn't care about any label I am given for thinking that.

In addition, despite the fact that he is a TV presenter driving cars that most of us would only dream of, it is still a job. He gets paid for it, has a boss (probably several!) and when they're not filming, he works in an office carrying out research for the next task. My point is, we don't know who's idea the stunt was. I would suggest it wasn't Hammonds as until 2 weeks before, James May was supposed to be doing the article. Perhaps his boss told him to do it, we just don't know. There are a large number of unanswered questions surrounding this accident, but hopefully an enquiry will answer them. Until then, I cannot understand anyone who is willing to slate an injured person. Without the facts, how can anyone judge?

As for charities, whether people choose to support them by donating money or time, surely it doesn't matter. If they are doing it out of guilt or not, surely it doesn't matter. Perhaps they are doing it so that they DO sleep better at night, once again, I can't see how it matters. The bottom line is that charities are voluntary organisations and the fact that anyone, dispite their personal reasons, chooses to support them is beneficial to the charity. Charities are not worried about who supports them or why they are doing it, as long as they can get support from the public. Indeed, as many advertising campaigns for charity donations work on the basis of making you feel guilty (especially TV ads), can I suggest that for many people that is the motivation? Personally I don't see anything wrong with that. Maybe others disagree, I don't know, but I'm fairly sure that the charities aren't bothered about the reasons behind the support they receive so I don't see why its such an issue.

Rant over!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well said Colin!

We all take something from the community - we should all put at least the same value back. People on here are generally better off than most and have no excuse for not putting back rather more than they take.

Sad that a well meant post should descend to a slanging match.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts