·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though this might be useful!

Hants Police are doing for a television programme series from tomorrow
(26th September) for seven weeks.

If you use the M27 or the M3 this potentially affects you so please proceed
with caution and pass onto anyone who you feel might just need to know.
The program a BBC South commission called "Traffic Cops" will be filmed
covering the area from Ringwood concentrating on Ringwood M27 up to M3 J9
and a team working the ringroad around Southampton (Totton will have a unit
working it alone), Cosham M27 stretch to J5 of the M27 (Southampton Airport
turn-off).
The fourth concentration is working from Winchester Services covering M3 to
J10 M3 (Winchester South) using five unmarked cars, two Skoda 03
registration Octavias, an 05 plate dark red Mondeo and two Volvo saloon
cars.

The BBC unit are going to be based out of a unit in Millbrook Road in
Southampton and will also be covering the armed police response unit and the
Southampton Airport Police Security / British Transport Police
team.

The BBC team are in Citreon Picasso MPVs leased from Arriva.

To make it even more effective the Traffic police have authority from Chief
Constable to "work to rule" So instead of the laid back approach to the
usual Hants traffic police this will be a lot more concentrated to make it
effective filming.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks for that, five times a week each way for me. it will be as bad as the m4 in wales, saw six cop cars around the bridge yesterday, how many cars must they all have.

You could have saved me some 3 pt letters cheers.

·
Registered
337 Posts
To make it even more effective the Traffic police have authority from Chief
Constable to "work to rule" So instead of the laid back approach to the
usual Hants traffic police this will be a lot more concentrated to make it
effective filming.

You got that right.just bin watching Men and Motors.The same police force have just pulled some guy for filtering onto the M3 crossing the chevrons.Biggin it up for the cameras they were..Poor sod,wonder if he got jail!!..Also Yorkshire are getting 40 toyota 4x4's in police livery to patrol the M-ways.These aint police just highways agency employees.They say its for incident management and have no power of arrest etc...but u just know its to slow us down..Plastic coppers...w4nkers.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Also Yorkshire are getting 40 toyota 4x4's in police livery to patrol the M-ways.These aint police just highways agency employees.They say its for incident management and have no power of arrest etc...but u just know its to slow us down..Plastic coppers...w4nkers.
These have been on the M42/M6 around brum for the last year or so.

They really do think they are the real deal, cruising at 56mph, creating a fooookin tail back a few mile long.

[:mad:]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Thanks for the Hants warning - I go the other way from Basingstoke up to J3, but I've seen the Octavia a couple of times going into Surrey.

In my last job traveling down the M6 and M40 I also saw the Highways agency 4wds - it's funny when you spot what they are and go steaming past whilst everyone else is doing 65mph, the looks you get from the sanctimonious tw*ts who only see the dayglo stripes and can't read the foot high writing......

·
Registered
337 Posts
The film report I saw did say that a successful trial has been held in the Midlands..Also the Yorkshire Highways 4x4,s had no writing on the backs or sides.Just on the bonnet.Maybe this is a lesson learned from the Brum trials so this time u can,t be sure when speeding past???...

·
Registered
836 Posts
I saw them filming at a bike accident on J3 of the M27 the other day, I drove past while it was going on but think the camera man was looking the other way...

Scott

·
Registered
558 Posts
just pulled some guy for filtering onto the M3 crossing the chevrons.
You mean those really slippery things that are illegal to drive on? What if he'd crossed the chevrons when they were wet, spinning onto a busy motorway causing a fatal accident? I think in this instance, they were right to have a word.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The same police force have just pulled some guy for filtering onto the M3 crossing the chevrons.Biggin it up for the cameras they were..Poor sod,wonder if he got jail!!..
No probably a drive-through penalty at the next services - LOL

Probably a code for it with 3 points and a fine.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Also Yorkshire are getting 40 toyota 4x4's in police livery to patrol the M-ways.These aint police just highways agency employees.They say its for incident management and have no power of arrest etc...but u just know its to slow us down..Plastic coppers...w4nkers.
These have been on the M42/M6 around brum for the last year or so.

They really do think they are the real deal, cruising at 56mph, creating a fooookin tail back a few mile long.

[:mad:]
M40 too! I fapped past one at 120 the other day ! You should have seen all the other drivers flashing at me to slow down. Probably wondering why I was not pursued!

I heard a story (from a relaible source) of one trying to stop a motorist, who carried onto the next junction and came off. At the slip road lights, the road agency guy ran up to the driver and shouted, "I used to be a traffic cop you know!" To whch the driver said, "yeah, I used to obey the speed limit too!", dropped the clutch and fapped off!!

Would have loved to have seen that!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
With regards to the Octavia's,I spotted two this morning heading towards Portsmouth at 8.50 between J10 and J11 on the M27. One was black,one silver both '05 reg. Both doing well over 100 on the hard shoulder, with a Volvo, Police bike and ambulance too!

·
Registered
51 Posts
What really gets me is in the midlands the highways agency use RANGE ROVERS!!! Whats wrong with an Isuzu trooper or somthing??!!

Seriously why are they given 40k motors to drive some cones up and down
the motorway. And all they do is if you breakdown they will

park behind you and come and have a chat if the weather is nice, if
it's raining they will park up behind you and watch you change your
wheel!

Put them in some cheap 4x4 and save us some money!! I bet some tw*t will justify it on residual values!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
The highways agency vehicles are easy to distinguish from police- their rear chevrons are black & yellow wheras police are red and yellow. The battenburg on the sides is black & yellow for highways, blue & yellow for police. Orange lights on the roof also give them away. Thery also have orange jackets on. A dead giveaway that one!

If you need to know anything, ask a policeman!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts