Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to get a half decent digital camera for ?150 - ?200, if so what do you recomend ? Am not a whizz kid with cameras at all so please no big technical terms ! [8-|]

·
Registered
927 Posts
Is it possible to get a half decent digital camera for ?150 - ?200, if so what do you recomend ? Am not a whizz kid with cameras at all so please no big technical terms ! [8-|]
this price range should buy something pretty decent these days having 5mp, optical/digital zoom, compact ect - maybe a fuiji or sony?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Owning a Sony DSC-P12 5MP that cost >?300 new, and having recently bought a Kodak EasyShare DX7440 camera for my wife to use for work, I would say at that price point the Kodak cameras are superb value. It has 4MP - I find the results are better than the Sony's and it cost ?130 with a free bag from Amazon. My main gripe with the Sony is that it takes too long to take the picture and the moment is often lost. The Kodak does not suffer this problem.

I've had a look for you and such is the pace of change it's already discontinued, but you should get a great camera - try the DX6490 http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000E5SPL/qid=1130433796/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_3_2/026-0341153-0566001

·
Registered
697 Posts
Take a look at the Olympus range, they have some cheaper cameras with decent lens and ccd's, make sure you get an optical zoom and you will not go far wrong.  Argos are selling the Mju 400 for 99 at the moment which is a 4.1mp camera.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Sony cameras either tbh, there are much better on the market.
I second this. I have had very bad experience with their customer support service in the past, absolutely shocking to say the least. There are much better, cheaper & better supported products than Sony, period.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Sony cameras either tbh, there are much better on the market.
I second this. I have had very bad experience with their
customer support service in the past, absolutely shocking to say the
least. There are much better, cheaper & better supported
products than Sony, period.
I agreed. It's not just the cameras but general AV stuff too. Most are over-rated and pricy with so so performance.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi Sorry To Hi jack but im looking for a new camera to, i have a pentax s40 at the mo but fancy a bit more zoom and more pix. some pointers would be good. dont want to spend more than ?350.

The the s40 i paid ?249 for now they are ?99. will they all keep dropping

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The way it is with electronics, you get more features for the money, as opposed to the prices really dropping as such. What you'll find in places like London's Tottenham Court Road is bargain prices on older or discontinued models that have been sitting in stock. If you must always have the newest as soon as it comes out, you'll pay the price.

My camera was launched at ?999, I didn't buy it for over a year, then scooped it for ?599, (if I had bought it a week earlier, it would have been ?699!), now some shops still have some stock and are offloading it for ?399, still brand new and boxed [:'(]

The way I look at it is that if you keep waiting for the price on a particular model to come down, [a] it will be superseded by a newer model with more features and better quality for the same money, and you'll never get the blasted thing and get on with it because you keep waiting.

Looking back, I don't regret having paid ?200 "more" due to the fun I've had using my camera in the last two years. If you're going to use it professionally, then it's a no-brainer. It'll pay for itself in no time.

·
Registered
309 Posts
A fair point, well made, part of the cost of buying in is for thr enjoyment you gain from using it.

So what should i buy?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
If you want more optical zoom then aim for something with a big-ish lens. If you can stretch to ?400-500 then it starts to get interesting.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I second the comments about the Kodak DX7440. I have this camera and think its great. Very easy to use and very fast shot to shot times. OK so its nowhere near as good as a prosumer or SLR but if you just want a point and shoot with 4X optical and a host of manual features, for the price, this is a good camera. And the pictures are very good, maybe slightly oversaturated but very good nonetheless. Due to the market now, I think ?100 is realistic for this camera now. PLUS REMEMBER, just because something is 5/6MP and only costs ?20-30 more, it doesnt mean anything. I good reputable 4MP CCD lens will always beat the higher res ones from a not so good manufaturer.

BTW I owned a Pentax in the last year and I am bit dubious about them as they have really bad shutter lag (shot to shot speed) especially when using the flash. The recharge time was like 10 seconds!

Look at the Canon A510/A520 as they have very good reviews and if you can stretch to it, the A610/A620. Or you could just buy the older A95 which is an excellent camera.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does any one have any experience of a KODAK Easyshare Z740 5MP with 10x optical zoom ?

also how good is 10x optical zoom ? should it be fine for most things or could any one advise a range to use it upto ?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
?219 is more than i wanted to spend plus its only 4 megapixal not the 5 that the kodak is ! i need to physically look at a 10x optical zoom to properly apreciate how suitable its like ley to be ! [:cool:]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
More pixels is not necessarily better - more often than not it translates into poorer signal to noise ratio. That's the simple explanation. 4 million quality pixels with accurate information is better than 8 million pixels of rubbish if you see what I mean?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts