Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tube of Haldex oil sitting on my desk, and plan to do the change myself. I found this, which basically answers 90% of my questions. However I just want to check what tool I need to remove and then replace the plug?

Posted Image

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can sell you the tool i had made if you want.

I probably not need it again.

Visas for Oz came through 6 month quicker than expected so the Bora's up for sale soon also

·
Registered
437 Posts
I did some research recently as I couldn't find a definitive answer, even on this fine site.

The following will also help . .

http://www.ampdialup.f2s.com/tt/haldex/

http://home.comcast.net/~jbipes/ttr/haldex.html

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/YaBB.pl?board=WebTTForum;action=display;num=1069275460;start=0#4

http://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1178564.phtml

Mike, looks like the drain plug is simply a 5mm hex socket (last link).

Mine also needed a 50k service so I got that and the Haldex Oil/Filter done after ringing around a few dealers. Wayside VW (St Albans) were the cheapest by far, Citygate wanted ?150 + VAT just for the Haldex and after speaking to the service manager I didn't have the confidence that he or his staff knew what they were doing.

Dovercourt (Finchley Rd) advised me that they'd NEVER done Haldex filter change before and that I shouldn't worry about having it done - again, this was the service manager !

Anyway, details from my invoice are . .

50k service labour ?40.00

Haldex Oil & Filter labour ?72.00

less 25% discount (Car over 4 years old) -?28.00

Screenwash ?2.07

Plug ?0.82

Oil Filter ?4.70

Oil ?21.12

Haldex Oil ?9.31

Haldex filter ?20.43

Total bill ?142.45 + VAT = ?167.38

Bearing in mind what other dealers want to charge I thought this was very reasonable.

Called last Friday and they fit it in the next day (Sat morning). Work took an hour and was dne while I waited.

Faultless service and the advisor, who couldn't have been more than 25, knew exactly what she was talking about.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for the links Vee, thats what I needed. Shall tackle this one at the weekend, hopefully pretty straight forward...

·
Registered
808 Posts
It is indeed a 5mm allen key, or if you have one a 5mm allen hex socket, and be quick to replace the plug or it just runs back out, and 'dont' over-tighten it either!!!!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 23/02/2005 19:28:27

It's shocking that soooo many VW dealers are saying they've never done a haldex oil change..

4motion's aren't exactly something new now is it

Makes u really wonder doesn't it

I am doing it because its such a simple job, but I have been doing some reading and quite a few Audi dealers are the same - i.e don't bother / forget the 4WD during servicing. I get the feeling the Haldex must be a pretty tough piece of kit? Has anyone heard of Haldex failures?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Quote: posted by weeloon on 23/02/2005 21:34:33

It is indeed a 5mm allen key, or if you have one a 5mm allen hex socket, and be quick to replace the plug or it just runs back out, and 'dont' over-tighten it either!!!!

One of the link above recommends draining the oil and replacing the plug.

Then fill from hole on the side to so it cannot run back out.

Only problem is the gun cannot reach this hole because of the axle but it's quite simple to get a piece of flexible tube as a go between.

Next time I'm going to source a tool and have had a go at mine myself (if I stil have the car).

·
Registered
31 Posts
It looks like the rear dif on these cars have a drain plug. Dose that mean there is a separate oil check for this also? Anyone know the part number of the oil?

If you look at the top picture here http://www.ampdialup.f2s.com/tt/haldex/ there is a large hex sump plug (on the silver lump with the drive shaft coming out of it) I have looked on mine and there is another plug on the side, which I presume is the level/fill plug.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Update:- I have called my local stealer and they have confirmed that there is an Oil specifically for the differential (not used much as they had to order it) I will post the part number once I get it.

Flash

·
Registered
437 Posts
Quote: posted by FlashCash on 25/02/2005 12:28:09

Dude,

Read the post I am talking about the Diff not the Haldex clutch (big difference)

I'm afraid GTI Fly is right, the rear diff you speak about IS the Haldex diff, which takes the oil/filter part nos listed above.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by FlashCash on 25/02/2005 12:28:09

Dude,

Read the post I am talking about the Diff not the Haldex clutch (big difference)

I must concur, they are one and the same dude...[:eek:)]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 23/02/2005 19:28:27

It's shocking that soooo many VW dealers are saying they've never done a haldex oil change..

4motion's aren't exactly something new now is it

Makes u really wonder doesn't it

Precisely what I found after speaking with a couple of dealerships (VW). I used their answers to that question to define whether I thought they were competent or not....and guess what my service (at 19k) was performed at AmD AND as we all know the Haldex oil/filter needs changing at that time......and while I'm on the topic of VW they didn't even know what the hell TMC was in relation to Sat Nav....scary[:O]

·
Registered
808 Posts
Dudes, the haldex and diff although bolted together are in fact 'seperate components' and have different oils, I do hope nobody has put the wrong spec oils in or not enough of the right stuff. *there may be trouble ahead*

Haldex coupling - holds 0.42 litres of oil and when changing it you are only draining 0.25 litres and refilling it with 0.25 litres (Part No: G 052 175 A1)

Rear diff - Holds 1.0 litre of oil and when drained is empty and requires 1.0 litre to refill it, handy as thats the size of bottle vw supply the oil in (Part No: G 052 145 A)

Hope this clears up the dude situation

1 - 20 of 25 Posts