Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**UPDATE** further down thread.

Can't wait..just about to leave the house now. Said it'll take hour and half. Before and after RR too.

I've had 4 hours sleep but it's worth getting up for!

Will let you know how I get on [:D]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote: posted by micky 32 on 15/03/2005 13:00:54

hurry up, we are dying to know the outcome

It'll take him less time to get home LOL [:)]

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just had a text from Irish He says "The smell of burning brakes is making me sick". I'll let him fill you in himself but the bhp figure is impressive and believable!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right guys. I'm home.

I could've went straight home but.....nahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Ok first things first, back in August I had her on the rollers. Totally standard she put out 152.9 at the flywheel so let's call it 153.

Today, totally different RR, totally different company, before the remap she put out 155/116KW.

Afterwards she put out 194bhp at the flywheel/145KW.

They don't have a torque graph on their system so I'm afraid it won't be until I go back to the first RR (153bhp) that I can get a torque print out and compare before and after on two seperate occasions.

194bhp does seem like a lot, however it is an increase of 39 bhp which isn't too far over what Superchips claim and I have two different stock RR figures to compare with with only a margin of error of 2bhp.

Now for the important bit. She pulls like a train. I got the chance to overtake someone and had a clear stretch after me and I held it to the floor for what must have only been 5 seconds and I was doing 80mph - when I went to overtake I was doing about 27mph.

I managed to get the computer down to 19mpg and didn't see 30 once.

It was E675 all in and although pricey it does seem very worth it. I managed to get the ESP light to flick in FOURTH going up a very slippy, greasy, wet mountain hill!!!

I really did cane her around some B roads in the Dublin mountains and I could feel some heat soak coming through the air vents in the car cause I had climate fully off (is this normal!?) and the smell off my brakes was sickening.

Funny flooring it in 2nd and getting the tyres to squeal and then people look at you like a little boy racer.

Cars disappear in your mirror all too fast if you ask me!

When I returned to the dealer (guy who did it has a 02 Boxster) they asked me if I had anything done with the car before remap wise. I explained the Upsolute story and they showed me a strip which was missing from the bottom of the windscreen that runs along top of plastic which sits on top of bottom of windscreen and the windscreen was cracked from where a screwdriver had been used to try and get the ECU out. So I need a new windscreen and long thin strip for bottom of windscreen. You can't see the crack from inside the car as the plastic thing sits on top of it.

I went to Superchips due to the fact that Upsolute could not get the hardware sorted for the 2.0TDI, they blame their supplier which is fair enough but it's their problem if they can't sort it, there's other tuning companies out there.

Will head out onto the motorway later tonight when it's quiet and test the old 50-70 etc.

Anyway in case you didn't guess I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Another happy customer!!!

As you say, the RR figures are nice, but seat of pants feedback tells all!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Amazing figures, you must be WELL chuffed ?![:D]. I understand that VW are usually conservative with their standard figures for the TD engines but all the same...194 bhp - WOW !!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Thats great Irish, knew you'd be kicking yourself you didn't do this ages ago[:D].

Not surprised about the dyno result. Thats consistent with what my PD150 achieved. And like you say, its all about the driving. Go easy with those brakes LOL.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2nd gear feels like it wants to break through the rev limiter to be honest. Harder you rev the harder it pulls, right up to 4K.

The turbo's whooooooooosh is louder now too.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.