Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some time now i have been looking at changing all the plastic trim over to the aluminum stuff but was a little miffed to fork out all that dosh when it could be spent on power and speed!

Finally after looking at that tatty old door trims for 5 years i decided to rip it all out and get some paint on them and to my surprise it has reall turned out well.

1 tin of HYCOTE Gunmettal gray(ROVER COLOUR)

1 tin of lacquer

1 tin of whit primer

Due to the fact that it is all coted in a sort of latex ruber it all had to come off and to be honest that was the hardest part and now you would not tell it was not OEM.

I will post some pic´s as soon as the thing is charged

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it took me 5 years to pull my finger out and do it and i have just finished the passanger one and it is drying in the kitchen OOPS lol

and if i am really honest it looks tons better than the light brushed alu ones you pay through the nose for

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well finally i got some pics of the finished product and i must say i do like it [:D]

and it seems to look OEM if you ask me

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here is a pic of my new gear stick i got at a GERMAN stealer for only 30 Quid with the VAT

and here they want 46 Quid PLUS VAT

Posted Image

What do you think?

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Wow! Looks lovely! I must do this myself. How much did all the paint cost you and where did you buy it from? I was going to pay a visit to the stealers and buy some new handles, but looking at yours, they look spot on! [Y]

Got contact details for the place you got the gearknob? [;)]

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well as you come to mention it i was thinking of trying to set up a group buy for either OR both 5 and 6 speed gear knobs in this style

I got it when i was in Germany a few months ago but only just got time to fit it today

The colour i used was from a local motor factors and for all the paint,clear and base coat i paid TRADE about 9 QUID

The company from the colour was HYCOTE and the colour was a ROVER GUNMETTAL MET.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I need to take them off again and give them another cote of clear and then bake them to harden them off or they will scrach easy

so 20 min in a fan ovan at 60-70 C should do the trick

apart from that i am well pleased and have to do the back ones and the radio cage next lol

My black headliner and trims are next

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I need someone who can make a decal the same size as the little cup on the cup holder so i can put it on before i clear cote it

also i am trying to make a light system to light the cup holder symbol up when the lights are on (NOT EASY)

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I need someone who can make a decal the same size as the little cup on the cup holder so i can put it on before i clear cote it
Get some vinyl from a sign shop... or even a go faster stripe or window sticker.

Then photocopy the symbol a few times, then use a scalpel to cut it from vinyl yourself.... you need a scalpul though

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hold on i just had a brain wave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mercedes is using a new type of clear cote called nano clear

basicaly it is a ceramic paint and clear that is designed to be scrach resistand and i have seen this on cars and it is a nightmare to sand with paper so this could be an option

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Get some vinyl from a sign shop... or even a go faster stripe or window sticker.

Then photocopy the symbol a few times, then use a scalpel to cut it from vinyl yourself.... you need a scalpul though
Mate I have a hand tremor, and fingers like sausages and if I can do it you can

1 - 20 of 30 Posts