Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and Happy New Year.

I bought a 1.6 SE auto from a VW dealer about 16 months. It drove well and on paper all was good. 2 previous owners had bought this car from the same dealer. It had done 78000 miles and full service history.

After 1 day engine was misfiring and the dealer took it back in and repaired under the 3month warranty. Same happened again after 2 months. Then I had to have a wheel bearing replaced(these things happen though).

Last April I had to have the auto gearbox replaced which was a killer. The car cost me £4700 and the box was £1700.

For the last 6 months the "Engine Workshop" light keeps coming on when I hit 70mph and then goes off when driving around town. The dealer serviced the car and performed a diagnostic on the car. It had many faults in the list but one of them was torque convertor. I took it back to the guys who did the gearbox but they could not find anything wrong. They did replace the lambda sensor but the light still comes on but the car drives fine.

Last month the oil sensor light came on when I started the car up. I have also noticed white emulsification in the oil filler cap. This was the last straw or so I thought. I want to get rid of the car but can't until these problems are solved.

Last week one of my rear coil springs broke. I can't believe how much grief this car has been.

Sorry for the long whinge.What will it cost me to have the spring replaced? Is it best to have both rear springs done. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
772 Posts
That is very unlucky, I've been spending quite a lot of money on my Golf too. Mainly little things but the cost does add up. It's had more or less everything done that you can think of but now I have a spitting fuel pipe.

It's probably best to get both rear springs done to keep the spring tension equal on both sides. The fact that there is white sludge in the oil filler cap worries me as it could potentially be head gasket failure which is a financial killer.

·
Registered
915 Posts
The sludge is probably just moisture if its on the cap wouldnt worry too much, euro car parts sell individual springs

·
pauly4226
935 Posts
sorry to hear of your problems mate,white sludge on the oil cap can mean headgasket,.in most cases it is nothing more than moisture /condensation build up,nothing more sinister.usual cause is short stop start journeys.i would always replace springs and shockers in pairs,always.very easy diy job as well. where abouts are you fella

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Standard second hand springs are pretty easy to come by and it is literally a 20 minute job to do on the driveway.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Definitely replace springs in pairs mate. They don't handle the best as standard, let alone with one 7+ year old spring and one new! Loads of people shift standard springs on here and the bay after upgrading, so have a shop around [Y]

Maybe post where you are based and see if some friendly VAGcommer can scan and offer some assistance? Might also be someone with spring compressors who could loan them?

Is it using/losing oil or water at all?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Lmao can i have some some info on reconditioning my engine please, im not sure what condition its in!

In fact i could do with some reconditioning.......

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
The white sludge on the oil filler cap isnt anything to worry about its when you find the white sludge on the dipstick or oil in the coolent bottle you shud worry, its quite common on the 1.6's its caused by moisture just clean it off and when the warmer weather returns it should sort itself out, i have done this a couple of times over this winter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all your help and advice? In live in Brighton and will try my local garage. The car isn't losing any oil or water so I will keep my fingers crossed it isn't the head gasket. Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing the oil sensor warning light to come up when I first start the car. Is there a sensor i can change that isn't too expensive. Also, should I give up on trying to sort out the Emissions Workshop light? So to ask so many questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all your help and advice? In live in Brighton and will try my local garage. The car isn't losing any oil or water so I will keep my fingers crossed it isn't the head gasket. Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing the oil sensor warning light to come up when I first start the car. Is there a sensor i can change that isn't too expensive. Also, should I give up on trying to sort out the Emissions Workshop light? So to ask so many questions.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
reconditioning your engine will definately solve your problems but that will probably cost you
some of the advice you offer is a joke!!!

The rear springs are a doddle to fit...not too sure about your emisions light. Is your EGR OK?
glad it aint just me seeing that! sorry rock dude but....

As for rear springs, my 8 year old could change them, just get the arse right up in the air. can change both in under 10 mins on a ramp.

·
Registered
283 Posts
ive got a full set of standard springs from a 1.4 mkiv if you want em mate, hopefully theyre still in the shed. since i dont have the golf anymore i dont have any use for them. if you sort out a courior i'll let you have emm!

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
Sorry totally [off-topic]

what is wrong with you?! wheres the joke?
Your the joke mate...you haven't got a clue!
probably because half of your advice is copied from the person who replied before you! There is no need to answer things you dont know

never had any complaints on the advice i've given so i'll probably ignore you
have a nice day
Probably because half of your advice is copied from the person who
replied before you! There is no need to answer things you dont know its not compulsory to get your name on every thread. Just chill out a bit. 40 posts a day of mainly nonesense is not really needed. cheers

1 - 20 of 31 Posts