Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last wednesday evening I was sitting at a junction waiting to pull out when the lady behind me went into the back of me. We both got out and had a look. She had just cracked her number plate and had a few scrape marks on her front bump strips (Astra MkIV Estate). My number plate was hanging off and there was a scuff on the back bumper and that looked like it. I let her go and agree not to go through insurance as I work with her and I know she's nice.

I get home, clean the filthy car in the rain and see the damage - my boot infill is scratched and there's a huge crack in the bumper (hidden at the time by the infill). Next day, she tells me we have to go through insurance as she's cracked her radiator and a few other tings - ?1000+. So that's fine. We swap details. I go to a body shop who I've used before and he says i need a new bumper, bump strips and maybe the betal bar inside the bumper. He's also worried about the shut lines - the gap is about 3mm wider between the brake light and boot on the left than the right. He recommends Helphire who do all the leg work for me and get me a replacement car whilst mine's having the work done. The lady who hit me seems 'put out' by this. I told her it's between me and her insurance company now - not her. I think it's also my legal right to get it fixed where I like and get a courtesy car if I need it (which I do).

To make matters worse, my drivers seat is a bit weird now. I hadn't noticed in on thursday and friday as my journey to work is about 8min, but I drove for 1 1/2 hrs on saturday and now the seat moves forward and back about 2-3mm when accelerating/braking and there's an awkward creak/squeak when I go over any bumps in the road. I feel awkward enough about all this without adding the seat to the potential list of woes.

You're probably reading this thinking "What's the problem" but I just need some reassurance really. I know it's a minor accident, but I've never been involved in one before. I need some objective, detaced opinions on this. Am I being unreasonable in any way? How should I 'play' this (for want of a better word?) Bear in mind I work with her every day in a school with about 35 staff - so we see each other quite often!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Well at the end of the day she ran into you, collegue or not, thats why we have insurance companies so it doesn't get 'personal' she hit u, so she has to let her insurance company deal with whatever repairs they do to both cars, at the end of the day whether she has done ?50 or ?5000 worth of damage her insurance will be affected by the same come renewal time so unfortunately she just has to grin and bear it, she is 100% at fault and a forward jolt could damage the seat, its part of the restraint system on the car.

Don't worry about it, try not to speak to her about it if its with the insurance its now not for u 2 to discuss, its why we pay ?100s a year.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree - just because she is a friend / colleague that does not mean you have to accept part repairs to your car. If there is genuine damage caused by the accident, get it repaired and paid for by her insurance company.

If you turn the tables the other way, I bet she would claim for ALL the damage to gher car?

At the end of the day, this is one of the reasons we have insurance - to place the insured / claimant (you) in the same position they were before the insured peril (the accident) ocurred, whether this be via compensation or in your case repairing the damage (for legit claims only, of course).

Hope you get it sorted ok.

·
Registered
843 Posts
u might aswell mate as a claim is a claim and its going to make no odds to her insurance really.

Get it done without telling her anyway, or just say the insurance group told you it had to go there you had no choice

·
Registered
352 Posts
'lol yea...' Someone did that to me, & now when I re-quote for insurance they ask "...and was a personal injury claim put in?" the second I say yes. BUMPH - on goes another few hundred quid. I hardly even touched his car! The cheek was he claimed for loss of earnings and everything, yet my defense of him flying to Spain the next day to goto work for 2 days wasn't listened to and the b*****d still got his money. I've really wanted to go round and give him a piece of my mind since that!

Compo claim culture is what is ruining our insurance prices, people who 'stick a claim in' when they don't need to. I've been hit twice - never put one in twice. If you need to then yes but not for the hell of it. What annoys me is the people who put these claims in for the hell of it, still have the cheek to complain about high insurance prices!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Compo claim culture is what is ruining our insurance prices, people who 'stick a claim in' when they don't need to. I've been hit twice - never put one in twice. If you need to then yes but not for the hell of it. What annoys me is the people who put these claims in for the hell of it, still have the cheek to complain about high insurance prices!
Spot on that man.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going through insurance now. She told me a few days after her first post that we have to as she's cracked her radiator and a few other things and can't afford to just get it fixed, let alone mine. I've had the estimate for mine through, and it's ?700 without looking under the bumper or fixing my seat (which, incidentally, has got a bit worse). I'm using that company I mentioned, Helphire, they're quite good and have organised everything for me. I just have to take my car to the place I want to get it fixed at on Wednesday and they'll have a hire car there for me. I have to pay ?1.75 per day collision damage waiver, but that's fair enough.

I'm not going to claim whiplash or anything because I'm fine and I'm too honest for my own good.

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
always call the boys in blue in the event of an accident - no matter how minor it may be

if you can get the other party to accept liabilty and the police record this, it makes life much easier

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Helphire will keep you right. Used them this time last year when a skip got dropped on my car then again in January when an A3 ran into the back of me, pretty similar to your situation.  You will get a nice new courtesy car (I got 2 Meganes) and it all sorted within about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
My courtesy was a merc wooooo lol.. and how come you have to pay the 1.75 a day.. my insurance company (asda) just gave me a courtesy car of my choice which was like for like and i didnt have to pay a deposit like you have to if you get a car from enterprise.. etc..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A Megane? An effing Megane? Do I look like I have a fat arse? Actually, don't answer that! I don't mind what I get, as long as it will get me to Brighton as I'm seeing Basement Jaxx tomorrow!

Sat - I'm not using my insurance, or the woman's who hit me. Helphire are acting on my behalf, everything's coming from them and they're going to get their costs from the woman who hit me. The ?1.75 a day for collision damage waiver can't be included as "My expenses" so I have to pay for it. I could pay nothing, but then I'd be liable for ?100 if I scratch the car or something.

On another note, I was cleaning the boot tonight and there's washer fluid all over the floor of the boot on the left (where she hit me) and it's clearly come from the rear washer as there's a trail of water along the plastic trim. I KNOW that was caused by the accident because I had the exact problem fixed in May and there's no way it could've broken through wear and tear by now. So it's now bumper (new part, spray & fit), bump strips (both sides so as to maintain continuity - spray & fit) boot flush (re-spray), rear washer (fix I dunno what), possible damage to the boot itself (as shut lines are way off), cracked number plate (I'm ashamed to say I only noticed it when I wiped it because the back was/is so dirty!), possible rear bumper damage (the metal thing itself, not the plastic bumper). All this by someone going into the back of me at not very much mph!

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Benjie,

Just to re-assure you, I think you're doing the right thing! Just remember, she crashed into you, she said she wanted to go through her insurance before you mentioned it to her and she's unlikely to find out what work you're having done to your car. If I were you, I'd make sure that all the faults that have been caused by the accident are repaired to your satisfaction. I'd also claim for the waiver too - it's a legitmate expense that you wouldn't have had to pay had it not been for this accident.

I think you've been more than reasonable judging by what you've written here and I think it's admirable that you haven't tried to take her to the cleaners with whiplash / compensation etc.

Hope it all works out ok.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
always call the boys in blue in the event of an accident - no matter how minor it may be

if you can get the other party to accept liabilty and the police record this, it makes life much easier
I think the police don't record damage only collisions any more, they have enough to do without becoming involved as glorified insurance agents. As long as details are exchanged then it's down to the respective parties and insurance companies to sort it out.

Different story if injury is involved though then they do take a report.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
A Megane? An effing Megane? Do I look like I have a fat arse? Actually, don't answer that! I don't mind what I get, as long as it will get me to Brighton as I'm seeing Basement Jaxx tomorrow!
I was like that when I found out that was my courtesy car, especially as I was told it would either be a Golf or a Passat, but I actually really liked the first one I had as it was the 130 BHP diesel and was a rocket didn't want to give it back in the end. The second time is was a 1.6 petrol and that was a pile of poo, engine was rough the car rattled and the really annoying thing was the drivers seat rocked when you accellerated and braked, it only had about 400 miles on it too.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've got a Jetta TDI! I'm so pleased. I don't really like the back of it, but then I've been given it for free. It's the 105ps I think, it's a bit slow to start, but goes like stink up to 100. Nice and quiet and smooth and they've definately 'ironed out' the problems of the MkIV chassis as the handling's great! It's got automatic lights and wipers - I drove to work with them going whenever they felt like it, it was great! Radio's good too. It's a relly nice car, vw have done well. I can see what some people say about the interior feeling a bit cheap though, and the gearbox is a bit notchy.

There are so many cool things on it, but I still want my own car!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts