Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Yep I thort I'd add to the crashed cars on the forum! I was kinda glad I was driving my daily runner and not my mk4 tho! happened on the A6 London road at about 9.30am on the way to my girlfriends!

A lady was pulling out of a T junction while I was driving down the main road (20-30mph) and she was waiting to pull out. She had already gone passed her give way line, and was waiting in the bus lane!

She did not look towards my direction until it was too late and decided to pull out. I did my emergency stop, but as it was wet, my car kinda slid but the impact wasnt too bad. Just bumper / bonnet / grill / headlight and maybe wing. Rad etc seems ok and the only dodgy noise was the bumper liner rubbing against the wheel of the car. Her car was pretty much the same (only cosmetics from what i could see) she had a Citroen C4 55 plate.

At this point, I acutally forgot to take any pictures, but didnt move the car's until the police came, and they moved them and explained to her she was at fault. pic's:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These were taken outside my g/f's house.

At this point I'd like to tell you how my insurance helped! I'm with Bell Direct (part of admiral) fully comp with courtesy car and legal cover (i cannot emphasise how useful this was!)

I rang them as soon as i could, and took details etc. My car was collected at 3.00pm and a courtesy car dropped off at 4.30pm. Nice chap called Richard from the legal team arranged all this while I was munching away in Nandos [:p]

All in all good service and I'd highly recommend them. Pretty cheap too.

Oh I almost forgot! The lady wasn't injured and nor was I. Abit of back pain but I have been advised to go doctors and claim compensation. Just wanted to know if this was worth while, or if it acutally slows down the process of sorting the claim out? I've forwarded the officers numbers to my insurance to take first on the scene witness statements too.

and LASTLY!!!!! the IRONIC thing about today.......... My courtesy car was ALSO a Citroen C4!! (same car i hit!) very nice drive, think it's only a 1.6 but has full electrics, seats windows etc, with heated leather sports seats!! had 350miles on the clock when delivered 56 plate [H] I'll post some pic's up later today as it was dark when i got back!

Cheers for reading the long post

B

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Nando's rocks [Y]

Citroen's are bad [N]

At least it wasn't in your MK4 - makes sense having a jalopy (well, a second car) now doesn't it!

Re. Claiming for your back. If your in pain then do it, shouldn't slow down the claim process for you having your car repaired and odds are you will get a payout. If its a case of just doing it for the money.... well..... thats a different story....

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nando's rocks [Y]

Citroen's are bad [N]

At least it wasn't in your MK4 - makes sense having a jalopy (well, a second car) now doesn't it!

Re. Claiming for your back. If your in pain then do it, shouldn't slow down the claim process for you having your car repaired and odds are you will get a payout. If its a case of just doing it for the money.... well..... thats a different story....
lol my girlfriend kept saying it's a nice car but for a new car, the wipers were making some serious scraping noise and the center arm rest wouldnt close properly!

after previous crashes i have had back pains, but never did claim. i cant go to doc's til monday so i guess i'll see what they say. the guy at Bell insurance said to get checked out as he's confident something will get done so i guess i'll pop to the doc's.

i didnt know if i went to a private garage that i wouldnt get a courtesy car; but then if it wasnt my fault, and i did, would the legal cover enable me to claim back retal costs? (this isnt the case now but just to know for the future) any idea's?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Not good !

It seemed every nob & their brother was on the road in Leicester on saturday, I was in two near misses myself, bloody fools.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
sorry to hear pinda.. at least you never crashed the dub.. il get the full story out of you on msn [;)] lol..

also on another note that was a quick turnaround on a courtesy car as mine took about 2 days to come through.. but they did give me a 56 plate merc [:D] lol

Sat [y]

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know exactly what you mean mate. It's like bumper cars there! Everyone just stick it in or drives wherever they want!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry to hear pinda.. at least you never crashed the dub.. il get the full story out of you on msn [;)] lol..

also on another note that was a quick turnaround on a courtesy car as mine took about 2 days to come through.. but they did give me a 56 plate merc [:D] lol

Sat [y]
I guess this crash nothing compared to yours! a merc came as wel but they were travelling back in it!! lol

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update:

The 3rd parties insurance have admitted fault to my suprise so quick. I'm acutally off work for 2 weeks sick now so might have to go get some movies from blockbuster lol!

The garage said my car hasnt even been looked at yet, but as there's going to be no fault / expense on my side, I'm glad and worry free!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
lol i went to Leicester for the first time on Saturday to take my girlfriend to the uni. Maybe it was me causing the problems? lol

Some nice houses and cars round there.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol i went to Leicester for the first time on Saturday to take my girlfriend to the uni. Maybe it was me causing the problems? lol

Some nice houses and cars round there.
Yeh the outskirts have pretty good area's. some towards town too.

I thort of 2 good points to this crash.......

1) My car will be stone chip free

2) It will hopefully get washed lol! [<:eek:)]

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all,

It's been one year since I had this accident, and finally I'm reaching a decent settlement! It's being going backwards and forwards on a 50:50 split, and I have been refusing it since.
A few days ago, I was asked if I wanted my claim to go to court, and I agreed. The third party insurance then changed their minds on hearing this and now are offering 72:25 in my favour (before court hearing).
I'm now in a dilemma situation which I have outlined below:

Option 1: Accept offer and settle the claim on a 75:25 split in my favour.

Option 2: Reject the offer and continue the claim to a court hearing where the judge will decide, resulting in 2 outcomes:

Outcome A: If the judge offers a split of 75:25 or more in my favour, the third party will be responsible for all damages and costs.

Outcome B: If the judge offers a split less than 75:50 in my favour, then as I haven't beaten the previous offer from my third party, the third party would inform the court that they offered me 75:25 split previously. In turn this would mean I would be liable for the legal costs for me and the third party, from the date of their 72:25 offer till the end of the trial in court.

OK so now what do you guys think I should do! This has dragged on a year and I would like it to end to be honest. The risk of the judge maybe offering less would mean me paying, and I wouldn't want to be in that situation. So all opinions are welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could a moderator please move this to the insurance section, think it's not in the right place anymore.

Thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think you'd be pressing your luck trying to seek more than the improved offer of a 75:25 split in your favour.

And like you say, if you don't accept the offer, the judge can easily punish you for not accepting a fair offer and for dragging it out.

It's been a year+ so obviously the other party is reluctant to accept 100% liability.... do you really want to risk an unfavourable ruling trying for 80:20 or more?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think you'd be pressing your luck trying to seek more than the improved offer of a 75:25 split in your favour.

And like you say, if you don't accept the offer, the judge can easily punish you for not accepting a fair offer and for dragging it out.

It's been a year+ so obviously the other party is reluctant to accept 100% liability.... do you really want to risk an unfavourable ruling trying for 80:20 or more?
Thanks for you reply mate. Yeah I totally agree. It's been a year and they havent given in yet, makes you think.

After speaking to family as well, everyones kinda advised me to call it quits now. Only thing I'm going to ask my solicitors is - as police were on the scene and they pointed out it was her fault, if they can either provide a statement or something, saying she was at fault, that would probably hold up in court much more in my favour?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I would have thought it makes no difference to you if its 50:50, 75:25 or 99:1 unless you get a result 100% in your favour bang goes your excess and no claims, the only party to benefit from you accepting less is your insurance company. What reasons are they giving for not accepting full blame? if they pulled out at a t junction it should be clear cut

·
Registered
905 Posts
From reading previous posts i thought you said her insurance company admitted liability almost straight away? If this is the case then why are they now asking to split the cost? As the guy above is saying if your going to accept an offer to split it doesnt matter what percentages you do your still going to get the same money its just you will lose your ncb.

I had a claim outstanding for 2 years, i said i was willing to go to court and eventually the 3rd party backed down and paid out in full.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would have thought it makes no difference to you if its 50:50, 75:25 or 99:1 unless you get a result 100% in your favour bang goes your excess and no claims, the only party to benefit from you accepting less is your insurance company. What reasons are they giving for not accepting full blame? if they pulled out at a t junction it should be clear cut
As they put in an injury claim for me, and as the third party isn't accepting 100%, I'll be getting 75% of the total amount instead. I agree it would affect my no claims (or lack of it) and my premium, but not as much because I'm only 25% liable. I haven't paid excess and I don't think I'd have to now as it'll be claimed off third party, as they are more to blaim?

I'll be ringing them tomorrow or Tuesday regarding the third parties argument, and I'll update as I find out!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From reading previous posts i thought you said her insurance company admitted liability almost straight away? If this is the case then why are they now asking to split the cost? As the guy above is saying if your going to accept an offer to split it doesnt matter what percentages you do your still going to get the same money its just you will lose your ncb.

I had a claim outstanding for 2 years, i said i was willing to go to court and eventually the 3rd party backed down and paid out in full.
That's correct, they did at first accept 100% liability, and then backed off saying they had evidence stating they were not 100% liable. Apparently they can changed their minds, and I was a little peed off at finding this out.

I've got until the 21st of December to come to a conclusion if I want to go to court or not, but I've been given these 2 outcomes, and wonder if it's worth going through with it. As in your case, they offered 100% before going to court, these guys have only offered 75:25 split, and if they will offer 100%, thats a gamble I'm not sure I want to take.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts