Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted Image

On my way to work this morning and i was met by a BMW leaving a side road. Slam the anchors on, air bags go off and i think SHIT. And the fact that the cartridges that set off the airbag smell like burning doesnt help as i scrabble to get out. Drivers door is wedged and i have to give it a good kick to get out. Fortunately, the guy that pulled out said straight off 'i know im not meant to say this, but its my fault' which makes things a little easier.

So, ive had it towed away to VW in harrogate who say its a write off. Prudential will go out with an engineer and assess, but am i right in thinking that if they think it is a write off, then they will make me an offer on what they think it was worth pre crash?? think i need to start looking at cars with the same spec and get some prices so i dont get a duff offer. good thing/bad thing that they decide its a write off?? Also, i think i get a free courtesy car covered by the other guys insurance company.

Any advice in the post accident time?>????

That pic still makes me

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Ouch, hopefully you're ok?

AFAIK, if it's written off, they usually offer you a low figure first. Get some prices of similar spec / condition cars and you should get a better offer. If I were you, I'd prefer my car to be written off with that amount of damage.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Ouch, hopefully you're ok?

AFAIK, if it's written off, they usually offer you a low figure first. Get some prices of similar spec / condition cars and you should get a better offer. If I were you, I'd prefer my car to be written off with that amount of damage.
totally agree, i wouldnt want it back after that, hope all involved are ok.

Matt

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, got a bandage on my hand from where the airbag burnt it. Ribs and knee are a bit saw but apart from that... the other guy seemed fine aswell so not all bad.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
the "its all my fault" admission at the scene counts for didly-squat in a court I'm afraid..its effectively hearsay as you can't prove it was said. Make sure you get several "pre-crash" quotes and get the insurers to pay you what you feel the car is worth, not what they want to pay you

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he told the police that it was his fault aswell, so i think im covered. How can i get some pre-crash quotes, or by who? cheers for the advice though

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Soo sorry to see that mate, but glad all involved is ok!! Don't accept the first offer it will be rubbish - when I had my crash in the GTI I was offered 10K first then 12500 second time round!

·
Registered
445 Posts
a freind of mine had is scooby stolen and the ins company offered him next to nothing first time, then up'd it a little but there was no way it was enough to replace his car. I told him to go through the autotrader ect and get ad's for a similar car to his and email them to his insurance company, which he did and as a result they up'd the offer by 1k and this was only on a 8k claim.

they love to take your hard earned, but not so good at giving some back[:mad:]

hope your ok and it works out for you......

·
Registered
83 Posts
That'll definately be a rightoff then [:(]

As already stated first offer is a nono second is also a nono IMO keep going until they more or less tell you to stop hassleing them.

Check www.parkers.co.uk or http://www.glass.co.uk for forecourt cost of your vehicle as the insurance will go on how much you could buy a replacement for. Push if you have only just bought it. Paid for it and if you have an outstounding loan you should really inform them as it will be secured on the vehichle which technically they own until its paid off.

Although dont be too disheartened when they offer you less that you think as we all put alot of time into our cars it can be heartbreaking. Oh well new year new car lol

Glad your ok dude.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers guys (and girl) some good advice there. so gutted though.. just hope i can replace it pretty sharpish. i do have a courtesy car for a while ( brand new toyota avensis) guess i should be chuffed enough that everyone is ok. Ill keep you posted.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ouch. Car did its job. Glad yhou are ok.

You need to go to the doctors to document your injuries. They are worth a couple of thousand ? to you. In addition pursue any short fall in insurance pay out from the third parties insurers. It was there fault and you should be compensated for that.

Best of luck and ride those solicitors hard. The wifes car was hit by a skip lorry almost 2 years ago and we are still waiting...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ouch!!!! Hope your ok buddy - Like the others have said dont accept their first offering.

You must also have back Ache ; )

Keep returning to the doctor - that itself can be worth a couple more grand!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ouch that looks expensive. Glad everyone is OK. What a bummer, I'd be devistated if I smashed my Bora up like that.

On another note...

This is why this country is going to the dogs. Bleeding compensation culture. Ever wonder why our insurance costs us so much..............

·
Registered
229 Posts
I completely agree with auroan....thats the reason we are all paying so much in insurance..... admittedly everyone else does it so what difference will you make.....but if everyone stopped doing it we would all be alot better off.....

Sorry rant over.....glad your ok, and I hope it works ok with the insurance.....

·
Registered
352 Posts
You need to go to the doctors to document your injuries. They are worth a couple of thousand ? to you. In addition pursue any short fall in insurance pay out from the third parties insurers. It was there fault and you should be compensated for that.
It's comments like that down the pub that is totally f******g with people like me's insurance. I'm paying 1500 for my Golf because we live in a pathetic 'sue sue sue' country now. I couldn't care less if it all shows under one claim, I've got a whiplash claim against me at the moment, from a guy who said he was fine and didn't intend on claiming. I have witnesses saying he said was fine and just wanted the car fixed.

If you truely are inconvenieced by the crash, have an injury which will cost a lot of time off work, etc... then maybe you could look at a claim. When I was smashed into in 2004 - I was more concerned about getting my car fixed.

It's more like America every day.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I agree with the comments re: insurance premiums but we pay so fecking much for our insurance so when you need to use it you might as well IMO!

I do fully agree with your comments tho - but with all those out there driving with out insurance and milking their claims it will never come down!

I know this thinking is exactly the cause of it but still doesn't resolve all those who chose to drive without insurance!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ah that looks nasty! Glad you are alright though. Make sure you get your injuries written down by a doctor and you may be lucky with the insurance, normally they can give a good price but get a figure in your head that you are happy with before you start.

I know I shouldnt but I cant resist, how much for your alloys, gear knob and gaitor?? :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts