Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like they are still down too. Just noticed that Seeatenthusiasts.co.uk are down too - hopefully to update the site or something.

Word of warning perhaps to Mr Tabs etc?!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our hosts have moved server racks around due to recent power outages they had been suffering on site, and they made a major move last night, yet it created a problem with the configuration of the server, which we understandably are not over the moon about. However until we can get Martyn(our technical bod) back in front of his computer, (tomorrow) it will remain down for the sake of security.
Needless to say it will be back and good as new tomorrow. The database is secure.
If anyone needs to contact me, you can reach me on zboydmark [at] mac [dot] com
and the chatroom is still running at #seatcupra.net on the irc Quakenet network (uk.quakenet.org), you'll need to use an appropriate irc chat program to access it though, like MIRC (PC) or Snak (Mac)
Thanks

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last time I checked (after midnight last night) there was a thing on the screen saying something like owned by hacker or summit. A couple of others noticed it too hence the post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry guys, its really frustrating, but the issues presenting us this weekend are mainly as a result of the poor support we've received from the hosting company. Our access to the server has been severely limited due to the inability of the hosts to keep their end online.

The skeleton support team they must have on this weekend, are struggling in actually undertaking our basic needs, and making things ten times harder for us to achieve even the simplest of goals, which was at the very least to try and get the forums back online today.

Sadly it is looking less and less likely we'll achieve this today as myself and Martyn have been hard at it since this morning and been totally frustrated by the poor support we've received. Needless to say, we will be looking for a new host in the near future, because we, let alone everyone who uses SCN, want to go through this weekend again in a hurry.

However we hope things will move on at a pace tomorrow during normal working week hours, but as all of us work fulltime during the day, any progress will probably be limited to tomorrow evening now at the earliest.

Again my sincere apologies to everyone who uses SCN, including its sponsors, we are as frustrated as you right now.
But bear with us, it will be back soon.

In the meantime if you want updates or have any questions, i can be contacted on my personal email address, dont use the scn one cause i wont get it.

zboydmark[at]mac[dot]com

Looking on the brightside, at least SEAT won this weekend. :)

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Last time I checked (after midnight last night) there was a thing on the screen saying something like owned by hacker or summit. A couple of others noticed it too hence the post.
There is a bunch of muppets who go around hacking forums, priding themselves on ruining everyone elses fun. Can't remember the name though

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Hope you get back online soon lads, if you need a temporary forum setting up let me know, the Polo forum have done it for us a few times and its quite useful in times of trouble [Y]

I share your frustration, I know only too well how much of a ball ache poor support from webhosts can be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cheers Tabs, really appreciate the support, its the first time we've had such an issue, comes with populartity so they say, you become a target.
Fingers crossed everything should be up tomorrow, the thing that has held us up the most isnt the hack so much, though frustrating as that was, it was only pretty mild really, its the lack of bloody support we've got from the hosts, and considering they got paid for a year up front, its pretty shocking really, how difficult its been to get any useful help this weekend. All we need is the server to be online so Martyn can sort out the problems, reload the damaged bits, and get it back up. Yet they seem incapable of sorting it, tbh i think they've had a major security breach, and were not the only ones in trouble, cause it does seem like they are in headless chicken mode at the moment. Its a big coincidence that they moved our rack on Friday night in a planned maintenance job, and low and behold its hacked a few mins after it came back on
Frustration is our word of the moment really.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck getting back up and on the go. Hopefully the scumbags that did it will suffer a severe depletion in their private parts!

·
Registered
27 Posts
You have to hope so, very sad how some folks get their kicks isn't it. But they are not the reason were offline right now, this is because of bad support. As soon as we get our server access back, we can fix the problems, and get it back online.
I know some have decided on other forums to decide for themselves were in fact in a mess, and we can't fix it, but the fix is relatively painless, and the forum database is fine. We just need the hosts to pull their finger out and put the ports back on!!
Seems that at the weekend they can't be arsed. Sadly the first time we've even been hit, just happened to be the weekend Martyn was nowhere near a computer. Bad luck. but certainly not fatal.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Having worked for a few web hosts.. the problem is you have to be cheap to get the business, and thus everything else has to be run at a minumum cost.

All the webhosts I worked at used single network connectivity, throughout there network, even serveres wouldn be dual homed.. and often there are no spares on site,.. so if a switch blows up your fubar.. but thats easy fixable, if a cisco pix or checkpoint firewall goes down your knackered .. Pix spares are not cheap nor is Cisco 24 hour support. So more ofthen than not, we would break the network on purpose at the supliers router and blame it on the upstream provider... bad but but it was the only way to honour SLA's and not go bust.....

The best commercial hosts I worked at were unreal... dual PSU's in EVERY server running of totally indepent UPS's and generators and even separate substations, every machine was dual homed onto to different networks , and our network was net conenected through 2 hosts with a sattelite backup.

All hardware was standard and we carried ALOT of spares, every Switch was dual powerd supplied with a spare in the cupboard etc etc etc .

The difference is the top company would give you a win2k server for £600 a year.. whereas company 2 would charge 1.5-4k per annum for the same package.....

If you wont pay alot for hosting it be unrealiable. If you have alot of technical ability, it maybe better to use a Co-Location facility in your area and use your own hardware, probably no cheaper but at least when there is problem you can go and see the box and work on it independantly..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fact is though, we do pay a lot of money, almost 3k a year. We don't believe in doing it on the cheap. I don't mind so much if they can't support us on a weekend, if they tell you that, but telling you they are on the case, and it'll be done in 10 mins, only to be sat there 3 hours later pulling your pud, is a bit rich.
If they said, sorry we can't help over the weekend, we'd of said ok leave it off, and we'll sort it on Monday, but on the most part they have strung us along and of course makes it harder for us to give everyone accurate lead times.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
MMM depends how much your paying for bandwidth ... should really get a deal where your servers and net conection are biilled sperately to the bandwidth My guess is most of that 3k is for bandwidth?

Or if not I would definetly be looking at a Co-Lo facility and my own server, Ok bandwidth maybe more expensive in the UK but that would be far outweighed by having physical control of your own hardware.

Hope it gets sorted soon... next time make sure any contract has a strict SLA which includes credit for any downtime

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think the thing is they are all good until you need to use them for anything. Unfortunately we've not needed any real support until this weekend, and they've let us down.
What you've suggested andymac has already come up in conversation today with Martyn, about buying our own box, so its certainly on the cards, but then you have to find somewhere good and trustworthy to plug it into too.
What has really cause the issue, is not enough experience on my part, to know how to fix issues, we have always relied a great deal on Martyn when it comes to the backbone of the server, me and m0rk just handle the content management.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bandwidth is capped to a level each month, but we get nowhere near exceeding it, its about 3000gb per month limit.  Thats an inclusion of the package, all the packages above or below it had the same caps.  We have fairly uprated hardware, dual xeons etc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry you've had all this hassle, Z! You carry sponsorship, but no-one should forget you're not a commercial site. Good luck with resolving things.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Short of an absolute disaster, (fingers crossed)  it should be back online today, simply because were now in the working week, so were not dealing with the weekend support.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good news is, we have access again now. So i can cautiously say, barring anymore unscheduled FUBAR. that we should be back up this evening.
www.seatcupra.net has a holding page up now at least. :)
Thanks for your support though Tabs and the rest of UKMKIVs its most appreciated.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts