Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after looking for a noisier exhasut than the usual Milltek I think I have made a big mistake.

After having had a Piper system on an older car of mine I really liking it I bought one for the Golf, Oh dear....

Fit was awful, Ok all the mounts were in the right place but once on the tailpipes hung so low they nearly caught the road getting off the driveway. Having cut the old exhaust off I had to make do so midified the rear hanger and trimmed the bumper.

The tails were stil about 30mm to long I reckon but it looked loads better... BUT....

I have just driven 35 miles to work[B)]

My head hurts..[B)][B)][V]

What a mistake to make...... feel like a [:eek:)]

Oh what to do...... may try putting the standard middle box back in.. going to email Piper too, it really is that bad.

Gutted..

Scott

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
bad luck! I would never touch a piper exhaust! Bought one for my old car and the fit was dreadful! Managed to get my money back though! complain about the fit and they should get your money back! i had hassle getting it though, said they had never had a problem etc!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
theres always a solution (its called milltek!)..........

no really gutted for you, i get annoyed if a spider web is on my car let alone your problem!

hope you sort it !

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not actually that loud from the outside on tickover, but under a slight load at say 60-80 mph inside it just booms round the cabin and grinds you down... even with the stereo up loud you can hear it in the back ground...

I'll take some pics though...

Stupid me for saying the Milltek was too quiet then.. Doh! The 3" tails look quite good though.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Wont the exhaust bed in a bit after a few hundred miles ?

My milltek was very boomy to start with, but after a few runs round the M25 it quieten down a lot.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote: posted by Rally_Chris on 31/08/2004 15:11:55

Hey, maybe you can sell it to clio_dude or whatever he's called, he's sure to enjoy the barry boy soundtrack!!

lol

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Check everything is fitting as it should. My Milltek was really boomy at first but then I discovered that it was touching the heat shields in several places causing reverberations in the cabin. I've also had to change the dogbone bushes to stop the whole thing moving too much. The difference in sound level between slightly touching and not is incredible.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers, already checked that as I remember the problems you had. Not touching anywhere... just flaming loud! Banging head again this morning.

Gonna try putting the middle box back in and see what difference it makes.

Scott

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
dude - no point banging your head about it!!

contact piper, tell them the fit is no good and demand a refund!!

im sure a refund is possible as it fits in the "sale of goods act"

???

oh and then get a miltek (turbo back)!! its a 1.8T you have dude - performance is what you need!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kinda have 2 problems though, I cut the old system off so can't refit it... I have used the Piper now so getting it refunded maybe a bit tricky...

I do actually like the look of the 2 pipes myself..

Scott

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
i too hacked mine off when fitting the piper, had to buy a whole new standard system. Also i had used the piper exhaust and still managed to get a refund, so it is possible! Just took a lot of agro!

Quote: posted by Caged on 01/09/2004 12:24:08

Kinda have 2 problems though, I cut the old system off so can't refit it... I have used the Piper now so getting it refunded maybe a bit tricky...

I do actually like the look of the 2 pipes myself..

Scott

1 - 20 of 39 Posts