Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, have just watched the mileometer go over 100,000 and its a gutting feeling.

Despite the car being serviced regularly and running perfectly, there's still that stigma attached that any car over 100k is knackered.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I know the feeling my motor is now on the 100700 miles now

but as you say it is a sort of stigma attached to the 100K like waiting for something to give way

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm not sure why you should feel gutted, there are thousands of much newer company cars with over 100k on the clock.

My car has 133,000 miles on the clock and it's running as sweet as a nut at the moment, even if it likes a drink or two. A well maintained car will last forever.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
im dredding mine doing that its on 80.000 at the mo and not looking faward to it. it will make me feel like i wont get no money back for iy when i get there :( but im not gona sell as i have put so much hard work into it getting everylittle thing perfect its not worth it. at least you can say its a VW at the end of the day and they live forever.if it was ford ect on 100.000 miles that wouldnt be as good......

gray

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
eek, mine's only got 250 miles to go, so I'm trying to abstain from long journeys to drag it out as long as i can!!
mind you, I'm looking forward to crossing 200,000 miles in a few years. it's a dirty deisel and we've only just begun..

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've got about 1000 miles to go. Mind you the car is running sweeter than it has ever done. Hopefully this will continue. I plan to keep it another 40-50k.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Mines just coming upto 103k, I bought it when it had 73k on. It doesn't nother me that much, I only do about 8k a year so its not like I rack up the miles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My golf is fast approaching 100k too, but like I care, for me - having a 100,000 mile Golf is far better than having a 50,000 mile unreliable french lump! [:)]

And the value of the car hasn't moved much either - I purchased mine for ?6000 with 92k on the clock and even if I sold it now I think I'd get that or thereabouts!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
100k isnt really an issue with modern engines, as long as it is serviced and maintained properly.

OK, between 100 and 150k you might expect a new turbo (where applic) and various other mileage related failures, but modern engines ie the core engines should see well over 150k.

My old Astra GTE had 141k on the clock when I sold it, and probably most of that was abuse, at least my 10k anyway, and it was still going strong, bar a few oil leaks, and still flew. And that was a 15 year old lump.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Pah! It's nothing these days. Wouldn't worry about it.

The Bora currently has 95k on the clock and I', not fazed in the slightest about her going over the 100k mark. In fact, I'll probably have a smile on my face knowing that a four year old car can run as well it does, with a good amount of miles under the belt.

Roll on 200k I say! [:D]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mines fast approaching 147k. Just had the head gasket done, but other than that, not many probs! gonna see about stripping it down and giving it a bit of a de-coke in the new year tho!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't even think the stigma was just the engines.

Previously cars suffered a lot from damp and the cold much more. I remember having to go out armed with a can of damp start constantly with some of my old cars! Older cars used to be prone to blockages too and over heating a lot.

When car previously hit 80k it was a dead cert that you would have no wheel arches or battery tray left due to rust but now it's rare to see an old rusty motor. With today's progression cars are just designed to go further because we do more miles. If you think a car in 1985 with 80k would have probably gone through about 2 exhausts, 2-3 batteries etc...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Pulled up home this morning and mines on exactly 97,000. I can't help but feel when it hits the 100k mark the value of it with plummett somewhat

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
It doesnt help that Autotrader has a filter for under 100k only....

Thing is, a car is always worth a look if it sounds goods, regardless of mileage.

I have seen loads of 2/3/4 year old cars with 30/40/50/60k on them that are a right mess, yet I see similar cars day in day out with astronomical mileages that sail straight thru MOTs and services with no major advisories.

Dont forget, some cars are motorway munchers, and in all fairness, very little strain is put on virtually every component in average motorway driving, and good long runs help keep everything clean and efficient

·
Registered
370 Posts
clocked up 140k over the holidays in a 2001 tdi. Still runs sweet and fast - hopefully not too fast for the dibble that clocked me with his camera - just the sort of prezzie I was hoping to avoid! [:'(]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts