Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I am fearing the worst.

Checking the oil today, I took the oil cap off only to be greeted with a mustard-coloured oily gunk all around the inside and with speckled globs on the cap. I had a Rover before this and it had the same thing, only in the coolant bottle, and that was the head gasket, very costly.

I'll get some pictures up as soon as I have the chance. Is this what it is most likely to be?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Apparently, mayonnaise like gunk on the oil cap may be an early indication of a head gasket failure. Best to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Common on some Golfs, it might not be serious. Does the car get driven often enough? We had this on our 1.6 as it wasn't driven very much. check the coolant, should be pinky\ red.

fingers crossed

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
It is quite common for the Mkiv , It can occur if you are only using the car for short journeys aswell. As said keep an eye on the coolant color/levels.

Jay

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If you are only using the car on short journeys you will get build up of condensation in the engine, thats what it looks like when it mixes with the oil. Just keep an eye on it, use your car more too and remember to use the whole rev range as you dont want your breather system blocking up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car has had one owner, and has done 84,000 miles. It was sat on my drive for three weeks at least and I have done about 100 miles in it since tuesday, some pootling, some hooning, could be either/or then really.

I have this in my mind now so there will be daily, stretching to weekly check ups of the car. Coolant is nice and pink, and there is nothing on the dip-stick.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The car has had one owner, and has done 84,000 miles. It was sat on my drive for three weeks at least and I have done about 100 miles in it since tuesday, some pootling, some hooning, could be either/or then really.

I have this in my mind now so there will be daily, stretching to weekly check ups of the car. Coolant is nice and pink, and there is nothing on the dip-stick.
I also noticed this on saturday on the Bora, but im guessing its because the g/f drives the car 30 miles each day (always with the revs under 3k)

Theres nothing in the coolant, and the level hasnt dropped. Ditto with the oil. It revs fine and doesn't smoke at all. My Mk2 golf used to do it a bit too, and I never had a problem with that in 3 yrs.

I just got a cloth, wiped it away- and I'll keep my eye on it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
If there is noting on the dip stick then don't be too worried. As said above it is most likely condensation formed in the engine. When the water mixes with the oil it goes a mayonnaise colour. When you pull the dipstick out and it is covered then worry....

You could an oil change if you are really worried and see what the rest of it looks like.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If there is noting on the dip stick then don't be too worried. As said above it is most likely condensation formed in the engine. When the water mixes with the oil it goes a mayonnaise colour. When you pull the dipstick out and it is covered then worry....

You could an oil change if you are really worried and see what the rest of it looks like.
Not necessarily, as usually there are breather hoses to where the dipstick sits. Its quite common nowadays to find this gunk on the dipstick, in some cases causes rust up the length of the dipstick and seizes in quite badly. [y]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,

I know i'm bringing up an old post here but my boyfriend noticed this with my car last night. The dipstick and coolant is fine though. The car has been revin itself and the revs were droppin so low it kept cutting out on me. I only do short journeys in my car but surely that wouldn't cause something like that. Hows your car now and did you find out what it was? I'm takin mine to a loacal garage this afternoon and asking the guy to have a look at it because he only did my M.O.T and full service on it 3-4 weeks ago and his really good. I thought VW might have caused it because they had my car on wednesday and thats the first time it cut out on me, on the way home from them. The car was fine driving before from st helens to warrington and then it starts packin in on me on the way home gggrrr [:mad:]

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
I have the same gunky stuff on my oil cap, i thought it was a problem, unti, i done a little research on here and found that others had the same. My pil looked fine and the level was ok, and coolant seemed to be spot on [Y]

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yep, got the same here.

When I first saw it I panicked and thought head gasket failure or something, but it seems normal as I do some short journeys.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thats good to know then. Thought that was the problem with my car but now i'm back to square one lol. My car isn't running properly and its shaking like mad. I'll have to have another diagnostic done to it by my local garage and see if they can sort it out. Cheers everyone for that, makes you feel better knowing theres nothing worry about [:)]

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Tidge:

Have you tried cleaning out the throttle body, if not that, then disconnect the maf and take the car for a spin, see if that is any different?

·
Registered
380 Posts
If its like mayo/cottage chesse then your head gasket is on its way or gone. Keep an eye on your coolant levels and see if its using water. The colour has no importance as it depends what you use for coolant anyway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tidge:

Have you tried cleaning out the throttle body, if not that, then disconnect the maf and take the car for a spin, see if that is any different?
Hi, The throttle body has been checked and its clean. The coolant and dipstick look fine. I've taken my car to two garages and one said "do i do a lot of short journeys" and i do and the other said it sometimes happens depending what oil is used. I'm probably going to end up taking my car to where i had my service and M.O.T done for a diagnostic and see what they come up with. My boyfriend has fiddled around with the maf sensor and to be honest i think its on its way out thats if it hasnt gone already [^o)] I'm sure the vag com picked up a fault with it before so why didn't volkswagen pick it up?

Does anyone know if, when VW have done a diagnostic on your car, should they have cleared the fault codes? Just done a check on vag-com and it found 8 faults and i'm thinkin they have charged me for one but haven't actually done one because they said they couldn't find any faults when they ran one. Gonna phone them monday and question them about it and give them another shouting at. They will hate me when i've finished with them [6]

·
Registered
56 Posts
If its like mayo/cottage chesse then your head gasket is on its way or gone. Keep an eye on your coolant levels and see if its using water. The colour has no importance as it depends what you use for coolant anyway.
I thought that was only a sign of the head gasket going when the coolant and dipstick are like it too which there both fine. I have not long had a service and M.O.T and the people i take it too are fab and its only messed up after me going to VW. The guys at the garage would have noticed if there was anything wrong and told me. The guy knows my sister and he tells you about the slightest thing so you know before it happens. I wouldn't put it pass VW to have done summat to my car because i shouted at them and got my window fixed for free. I don't think they have done a diagnostic on my car last monday which i paid for because the vag com has just found 8 faults and they told me they couldnt find none. [^o)]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts