Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all.

Is there a guide (with photos) to changing the front window glass on a 3 door MK4 Golf? I know that there's a guide to replacing the window regulators, but I've not found a guide to simply replacing a piece of unbroken glass (presumably because people tend to only replace when broken). Is the process exactly the same as replacing the window regulators, but with fewer steps?

My n/s front window has some deep scratches in it due to the glass collapsing inside of the door last winter - Ice and window regulators don't really go hand in hand!

I'd like to swap the glass as it's getting on my nerves seeing the scratches, & a spare piece of glass will only cost me £20 from my local Autobreakers.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
102 Posts
Its exactly the same process, if you have the guide that Imagewerx created then its basically the same. Once you have the doorcard off you can unscrew the clips that hold the glass in place. Then the window will come out at an angle, really easy!

Sully

·
Registered
28 Posts
2 x 10mm bolts behind the 2 black rubber circles behind the door-card. You will have to drop the window about 2 inches to see the 2 bolts holding the clamp shut that the window sits in. If it is an early golf, make sure you are carefull, as the clamps are very brittle, if not already cracked.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts