Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just drove 40 miles to pick up a computer to fix, apparently the hard drive has gone in it.

Well, I'm not surprised, I get it and he says 'it's a pretty old computer, our contractors were going to charge us over ?200 to fix it'.

It's only an SX33 with 4mb RAM in it isnt it! Windows 3.1!!!

Guess what they use it for....water pipe plans! They actually use this alongside a plotter to print plans and they use it to draw the plans too. Damn! So I said 'well, you'd be better off buying a new one than fixing this' but no...he wants a new harddrive in a 3.1 system. I don't even have neither can I remember it!

All you computer people....have pity! Guess how much fun I'm going to be having this afternoon! What's the biggest hard disks these would accept? 400mb?!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HA!

I'm stumped already! Don't have an AT keyboard and certainly dont have a serial mouse! Oh the joys.

It's so old it's even got the keyboard lock mechanism on the front aswell as the display to tell you how fast it is running and the turbo button!

PMSL...Good old days! These were the days when an upgrade actually meant something. Upgrading your RAM to 8mb actually made a difference! I used to play Transport Tycoon on these babies!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh my god! VESA BUS cards!!! I'm getting all excited here! Motherboard has 1992 stamped on it!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I've just drove 40 miles to pick up a computer to fix, apparently the hard drive has gone in it.

Well, I'm not surprised, I get it and he says 'it's a pretty old computer, our contractors were going to charge us over ?200 to fix it'.

It's only an SX33 with 4mb RAM in it isnt it! Windows 3.1!!!

Guess what they use it for....water pipe plans! They actually use this alongside a plotter to print plans and they use it to draw the plans too. Damn! So I said 'well, you'd be better off buying a new one than fixing this' but no...he wants a new harddrive in a 3.1 system. I don't even have neither can I remember it!

All you computer people....have pity! Guess how much fun I'm going to be having this afternoon! What's the biggest hard disks these would accept? 400mb?!
Where's Shuiming when ya need him ! he had some pc related bits for sale in his boot at the last london meet !

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You really should have a word with this guys manager. This machine cannot realistically be kept up and running.
This bloke owns the business. Strange thing is, he's not tight!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
that is just pure madness, i would explain to him that parts are not easy to come by and they will be expensive, so much so that it would be sensible to upgrade

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well first I have to get all the designs off the machine, i don't know whats knackered on it as as soon as I turn it on, it moans about the keyboard. So just gonna whip what i can off the drive and then I will probably dump it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I remember fixing machine with RLL drives before IDE was made. OH and you had to FXPREP the 4mb drive before a factory format.

The sticker on the HD told you what blocks were marked as bad from the factory. The drive was like a brick

Then install windows 2.0 over dos 3.0

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I am sat in the offices of one of the largest reseller of HDDs in Europe, in Munich as we speak! Main warehouse is 50ft away!

You want me to see if they have one........!??!

·
Registered
271 Posts
All you computer people....have pity! Guess how much fun I'm going
to be having this afternoon! What's the biggest hard disks these would
accept? 400mb?!
I think there was a breakpoint at 127MB HDD then at 511MB. LBA mode & all that joy.

Have fun working on that antique.[:)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nah, I'm not gonna spend any money on it, just gonna get the files he's after if I can. Don't know if its the hard drive thats gone down or what, then will tell him to buy a new one.

He had some other guys I have just found out that charged ?200 per call out. The plotter was linked up to 3.1, they told him it could not be linked to XP and to stick with what he had even though it keeps breaking and they would help him out. They said a new plotter will cost 5 grand so best to stay put.

I have found the drivers for the exisiting plotter for XP, that took me about 4 minutes! So basically they would set it up to break so he would call them out at ?200 a shot.

Guess who his knew support guy is.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nah, I'm not gonna spend any money on it, just gonna get the files he's after if I can. Don't know if its the hard drive thats gone down or what, then will tell him to buy a new one.

He had some other guys I have just found out that charged ?200 per call out. The plotter was linked up to 3.1, they told him it could not be linked to XP and to stick with what he had even though it keeps breaking and they would help him out. They said a new plotter will cost 5 grand so best to stay put.

I have found the drivers for the exisiting plotter for XP, that took me about 4 minutes! So basically they would set it up to break so he would call them out at ?200 a shot.

Guess who his knew support guy is.
cheeky buggers, but its so easy to do with computers when your talking to a noob

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Munich? How's the Oktoberfest?
I had to visit a hospital last night and even the doctors and staff were in Bavarian gear and all dancing in the corridors!!!

Basically Munich is drunk as skunks!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
.......after 9pm, she's right!!

Dont worry, I am sure a group of local beered up German Lads will look after her, she can stay at theirs........!![:O][*-)]

[;)]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts