Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of rerouting the cold air pipe to the grill somewhere, seen many who have done this. Just wondered if any of you with dervs have any advice having done it already. Instead of a thin ducting like a tumble drier has on the back, was thinking of using a thin heat shielded pipe and just manipulating it in to position, should also have a smoother air flow. Thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Where does the cold air pipe start on the pd130?

On my pd150 it starts at the n/s far vent in the lower valance. Seems like a very dirty place for it being so low to the road, must suck a lot of water up and debris.

Ive been thinking of using some pipe and relocating this myself. The grill would be a great place for taking clean fresh air.

I will be watching this thread, hopefully see some owners who have done this mod.

·
Registered
179 Posts

On my pd150 it starts at the n/s far vent in the lower valance. Seems like a very dirty place for it being so low to the road, must suck a lot of water up and debris.

Ive been thinking of using some pipe and relocating this myself. The grill would be a great place for taking clean fresh air.

I will be watching this thread, hopefully see some owners who have done this mod.
I've seen a mod where you take the side grill of a merc van and put it in the offside wing. Can't remember where i've seen it but it looks good and I'd assume it'd be better placement for the intake pickup.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts

I did this on my MKI Golf GTi 16v to get more air directly into the airbox. The pipe I used for the feed, I drilled with small holes on the underside so any water entering could drain out. I have thought about doing this to my Bora for a couple of years now....i've just been lazy!

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
[:O] xone no cutting going on in my wing haha [:)]

I think the best place to get the most out of air when the car is moving would be to have ducting start where our reg plate is, bit of reg relocation and cutting in the centre of the bumper .... i dont facy that either though lol.

Get of your ass pedro and get something done, post some pics so i can decide what to do or what not to do [Y]

·
Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS
1,870 Posts
Sorry to sound negative but I wouldn't bother to be honest.

I'm sure all as standard draw air via a vent just inside the grill next to the NS headlamp and then this is routed round via the headlight cover and along the wing to the airbox. The lower vent in the valance of a PD150 (feel free to correct me) is to cool the gearbox.

There is next to nothing to be gained apart from noise as it's a hot turbo'd car. The best thing would be to put a performance panel filter in the standard airbox.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sorry to sound negative but I wouldn't bother to be honest.

I'm sure all as standard draw air via a vent just inside the grill next to the NS headlamp and then this is routed round via the headlight cover and along the wing to the airbox. The lower vent in the valance of a PD150 (feel free to correct me) is to cool the gearbox.

There is next to nothing to be gained apart from noise as it's a hot turbo'd car. The best thing would be to put a performance panel filter in the standard airbox.
I agree with Mattytdi. Anyway i did the R32 DSG intake mod on my car. The intake pipe to the air box is about double the size to the standard. + a panel filter k&n and smoothed the airbox.

Was it worth it? Not really not much change in engine noise! but i do notice the turbo is louder.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Ive read a few times about that duct in the pd150 lower valance going to the gearbox, last time i changed my air filter i tried to confirm this and failed. Things were a bit tight and i must of been losing track of where the duct led to.

Ive heard about the r32 dsg intake mod, staff member at awesome has it on his pd130 which runs 197 bhp and 370 lb-ft torque ..... on standard turbo/injectors [Y]

Im not convinced about replacing the standard air filter, im pretty certain the filter itself can deal with way more airflow than we put through the airbox.

If that is the case then a performance pannel filter is pointless, increasing airflow to the airbox would be a better mod.

Anyway im going out now, i need to follow that damn lower valance duct properlly to let my mind rest lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts