2K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Essex Escy 
#1 ·
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY MY 1.8T HAS NO RED I ON THE BADGE , ITS A 99 V REG

CHEERS IAIN

#15 ·
Arent the real GTi's badged up as TDI [:|]

To quote EVO "Faster than the petrol version"
and louder, smellier and less refined..... [:p]
Speaking of refinement , don't the real GTi's use considerably less of the less refined fuel?..[6]
Yes, but they can also use peanut oil, rapeseed oil, sunflower oil or in fact any old oil you like, so your actually being ripped off by every garage that sells you DIESEL OIL for nearly ?5 a gallon !!!!!

Why do nearly all TDI owners insist its the real GTI. ITS NOT, It's A Diesel with some nice trim and it goes well. It is not a GTI, see your VW history book, GTI's only ever came in petrol and as far as I know, still do !!! You can carry on telling yourself that you have a GTI, but you haven't. You have a TDI, which has it's roots set firmly in about 199?, not 1976 !!!

Sorry for the rant mate, but just had to get that one out. Feeling much better now, thanks.

However it's still a Golf, so thats OK in my book. Just don't tell me it's the real GTI.

#17 ·

Speaking of refinement , don't the real GTi's use considerably less of the less refined fuel?..[6]
Yes, but they can also use peanut oil, rapeseed oil, sunflower oil or in fact any old oil you like, so your actually being ripped off by every garage that sells you DIESEL OIL for nearly ?5 a gallon !!!!!

Why do nearly all TDI owners insist its the real GTI. ITS NOT, It's A Diesel with some nice trim and it goes well. It is not a GTI, see your VW history book, GTI's only ever came in petrol and as far as I know, still do !!! You can carry on telling yourself that you have a GTI, but you haven't. You have a TDI, which has it's roots set firmly in about 199?, not 1976 !!!

Sorry for the rant mate, but just had to get that one out. Feeling much better now, thanks.

However it's still a Golf, so thats OK in my book. Just don't tell me it's the real GTI.
My two pence worth - After searching the web for what exactly GTI means, I was only able to ascertain that it either stands for Grand Touring Injection or Grand Tourer Injection. IMO neither the petrol or the diesel version of the Golf qualify in my eyes as a Grand Tourer as I would have thought them to be too compact, however both models have fuel injection. During my search, I found no explanation that a GTI can only be powered by a petrol engine either, so my conclusion is neither can be called 'GT' yet both are equally entitled to be called 'I'

Regards

Sarge

#18 ·

My two pence worth - After searching the web for what exactly GTI means, I was only able to ascertain that it either stands for Grand Touring Injection or Grand Tourer Injection. IMO neither the petrol or the diesel version of the Golf qualify in my eyes as a Grand Tourer as I would have thought them to be too compact, however both models have fuel injection. During my search, I found no explanation that a GTI can only be powered by a petrol engine either, so my conclusion is neither can be called 'GT' yet both are equally entitled to be called 'I'

Regards

Sarge
there is always one....[:|]

#19 ·

I'll See you at the lights then [;)]

#20 ·
Yes, RJH is correct about the models. When the MkIV was first launched in the UK, the non-turbo GTI was a 20v 1.8 pushing 125bhp. However this unit lacked the mid-range torque it needed thus prompting VW to replace it with the 2.0 115bhp 8v unit from the previous MkIII Golf GTI. All of these cars were badged with with the silver GTI lettering. The GT red I (ie the 150bhp 1.8T model) badges were the first to identify the turbocharged cars as the more powerful GTI. However owing to an increased number of thefts of these models, VW UK decided to change the lettering to all silver. Even my previous 1.8T was so badged. I wanted the red 'I' so my dealer changed it free of charge.

~ Maxie

#21 ·
Agree with Sarge on the debate as to what constitutes a GTI; I don't think that the car necessarily has to be petrol. I still think the GTI moniker is correct for the Golf (or similar type of car) because its the larger sports cars that truly carry the GT spirit (Ferrari 456GT, Maserati 3200GT, Aston Martin DB9 etc). The Golf GTI TDI may not be the real GTI that Dubswich says it's not but you can't deny that its the new GTI. I love my Golf GTI which is powered by a diesel and was badged GTI at the factory.........so there! [:p]

~ Maxie

#22 ·
My last Golf,a (99) 1.8T 150bhp was badged all silver GTI...My current Golf (04) GT TDI 150 bhp was badged TDI...I changed it to TDI however an earlier post on this subject says the GT TDI 150 should be badged GTI.?...Can anyone end this debate?.. Maybe VW shoulda put the bhp as the left side badge instead of the GTI/TDI nonsense... GOLF....................110 or 130 or 150 etc etc..I was well browned off when ppl reckoned I had the 130 just cos the badge said so.Another post on this very same subject said the dealers put whatever badge they had in stock on.I see a lot of golfs TDI with the single cut out (130) in the front black valance yet mine badged the same had the 3 cut outs (150) a,la 4 mo which adds credance to the dealer not really knowing/caring what badge he stuck on..Just to mix things up another post said dealers don,t badge em the factory does.Is the TDI 150 really called the GT TDI????.Or is this something some motoring journo made up.My nephew reckons that his mates dad,s Golf is faster than mine cos his badge says GT TDI.!!!! I give up.......seriously considering de-badging.

#23 ·
My last Golf,a (99) 1.8T 150bhp was badged all silver GTI...My current Golf (04) GT TDI 150 bhp was badged TDI...I changed it to TDI however an earlier post on this subject says the GT TDI 150 should be badged GTI.?...Can anyone end this debate?.. Maybe VW shoulda put the bhp as the left side badge instead of the GTI/TDI nonsense... GOLF....................110 or 130 or 150 etc etc..I was well browned off when ppl reckoned I had the 130 just cos the badge said so.Another post on this very same subject said the dealers put whatever badge they had in stock on.I see a lot of golfs TDI with the single cut out (130) in the front black valance yet mine badged the same had the 3 cut outs (150) a,la 4 mo which adds credance to the dealer not really knowing/caring what badge he stuck on..Just to mix things up another post said dealers don,t badge em the factory does.Is the TDI 150 really called the GT TDI????.Or is this something some motoring journo made up.My nephew reckons that his mates dad,s Golf is faster than mine cos his badge says GT TDI.!!!! I give up.......seriously considering de-badging.
Anything that reads TDI denotes the 150bhp version. Excepting the Anni TDI (which has always been badged GTI), the first few Golfs launched with the 150bhp TDI engine were badged GTI. Now I think they are all badged a combination of TDI, GTI, or just even GTI. And as you are probably aware, quite a few people change the badging anyway - I've seen a 110 GT TDI with TDI on the back! A 150bhp diesel Golf should look different because it has the 16" Montreal II alloys and the centre headrest which came as standard. Confusing right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.