Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had the pleasure yet?

It had to happen sooner or later... coming off a slip road from the A11 last night and a mkV R32 comes screaming-up behind me [:O] obviously intent on making some kind of point. So, I floored it and off we both went. After three miles of country lane, followed by a few miles of A road, he was still right behind me - despite at least three attemps to over take me. No silly speeds and sensible, but fun, driving from both parties I might add! When I turned off into a petrol station, he came in behind me and we had a quick chat... for a second I thought he's a copper or wanted a ruck, but in fact he was just a verynice bloke who loved cars, but he was somewhat bemused at how quick and able my GTI was! He was telling me his R32 was quicker than my car (which I don't doubt), but not by enough to embarrass my GTI or it seemed to overtake me safley. We agreed that both were great cars and had the road been wet, well I'd have been out gunned for sure. Mind you, one thing I can say without any argument is that I had the best looking car [:D]

My GTI is getting another 50 horses in a couple of weeks - I wonder if I'll meet Mr R32 again - he could be in for an even bigger shock next time [;)]

·
Registered
95 Posts
weight/horsepower ratio... is maybe the problem of the mk5 R32...

and for the GTI with 50 "horses" add-on... no chance.

..so long.. .:R...

cheers.. fLAVIO :)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Nice story, as already mentioned, he has a weight disadvantage as well as power sapping 4wd albeit not as sapping as a full time AWD system.

I agree about looks, apart from the rear end showing the two exhausts I think the GTi is better looking in certain colours.

Ask any racing driver, It's one thing catching someone, but another pasiing them

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've had a little run in with one through 2nd and 3rd it was even although the noise the R32 made was great ! Power to weight is the killer of the R32s its almost 200kg more and the 4WD takes about 20bhp more in transmission loss compared to the GTI.  I was at a rolling road and my GTi with the most uptodate VAG ECU software ran 224bhp with 180bhp at the wheels a MK4 R32 the same night ran 247bhp with 189bhp over its 4 wheels which knocks the power to weight in the GTIs favour. 

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Dave your car must be chipped to get 224 right?? Thats a lost more than the 10 bhp that I'd expect from a stock engine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the GTI can't make the noise of the R32 - they sound fantastic. I'm having a milltek on my GTI soon, so hopefully that'll sound good.

I like the looks of the R32 to a point. The wheels are OK IMHO, but I imagine a pain to clean. It's just the grille - I really hate it - ruins the looks completely. Every time I see a Passat I think it's an R32 Golf and visa versa! . I still say that in the wet, an R32 will leave the GTI for dust, even if the GTI is putting out 250bhp or more. It would take a very skillful driver to keep up in a GTI with a well driven R32 on a wet, twisty road. I do miss the 4WD from my previous car (a TT coupe which run 270bhp). But the GTI is so sharp and taut, that it more than makes up for the lack of traction. I think Audi has sussed it with their new S3... keep the weight down with a smaller engine, 4wd and 260bhp plus from the twin charger set-up. They're quoting 0-60 in something like 5.5 secs. Awsome. My TT could only manage 60 in 5.9secs when I ran it on the track, but it could happily keep modded scoobies at bay on the road. Mind you, the new S3 will easily cost ?35k if you tick all the boxes. I'm still considering getting one though when I change the GTI in a couple of years, well that or the new TT (hopefully the S version when they launch it - that'll hopefully have the twin charger set-up as well).

·
Registered
310 Posts
Dave your car must be chipped to get 224 right?? Thats a lost more than the 10 bhp that I'd expect from a stock engine.
Nope my car is standard and running 224bhp and 225lbft from about 2300 to 5600 revs, the guy was saying the recent Golfs have all been putting out higher figures they have been improving the mapping and small tweaks since they introduced the engine. The earlier Golfs were putting out 200-206bhp. The rumours are they have been tweaking the engine up so to up the offical power to 220bhp (like the A4) to bring it inline with the ST and the Anni model may have 230-240bhp like the Leon Cupra which is beleaved to basically be the same engine as the Golfs rather than a detuned version of the S3s.

So it you have a slightly older GTI I would recommend you go to the delaer and get them to update the ECU software as you are likely to gain a few for free !

I also think the S3s engine isn't twin charged like the 1.4 TFSI is basically running a K04 turbo compared to the k03 on the GTIs which is why the torque is alittle higher up the revs.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had a little play with an R32 in my Octy II VRs, - I was following it down some A roads and whilst neither of us were going for it he did hoof it out of the corners and off roundabouts. To be honest there wasn't much in it at all but ultimately the R32 should be quicker.

I must say though however I think my VRs is pretty much as quick as my V6 TT was. In fact as the peak power and the torque come in earlier in the 2.0T at certain points it actually feels quicker. I know this is not the comparison you are after in terms of the cars but in terms of the engines they are virtually identical.

The VRs, as with the GTi will never sound as awesome as the R32 or the TT V6 but somehow the lack of such a sound makes the car feel somehow more effortless in its power delivery.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nope my car is standard and running 224bhp and 225lbft from about 2300 to 5600 revs, the guy was saying the recent Golfs have all been putting out higher figures they have been improving the mapping and small tweaks since they introduced the engine. The earlier Golfs were putting out 200-206bhp. The rumours are they have been tweaking the engine up so to up the offical power to 220bhp (like the A4) to bring it inline with the ST and the Anni model may have 230-240bhp like the Leon Cupra which is beleaved to basically be the same engine as the Golfs rather than a detuned version of the S3s.

So it you have a slightly older GTI I would recommend you go to the delaer and get them to update the ECU software as you are likely to gain a few for free !

I also think the S3s engine isn't twin charged like the 1.4 TFSI is basically running a K04 turbo compared to the k03 on the GTIs which is why the torque is alittle higher up the revs.
I assume this should be the case for all later 2.0T engines then. I have always thought my VRs is putting out more than 200bhp.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Dave I know someone who has Golf GTi 2.0T, so what does he need to ask VW for (official software upgrade) and does it affect your insurance. Also is it free?

I can't understand why no one has posted about this ecu 'upgrade' (read - remap) before.

I have been wondering what VW were going to do. When they announced the GTi I thought that 200Bhp was a little on the tame side (compared to the oposition).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Dave I know someone who has Golf GTi 2.0T, so what does he need to ask VW for (official software upgrade) and does it affect your insurance. Also is it free?

I can't understand why no one has posted about this ecu 'upgrade' (read - remap) before.

I have been wondering what VW were going to do. When they announced the GTi I thought that 200Bhp was a little on the tame side (compared to the oposition).
Just get your mate to phone his dealer, give them the reg and they will look for outstanding upgrades based on the chassie number.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would definately agree with that. Mine had to recently have an ECU sofware update due to the car not always starting first time. When I got it back from the dealers it was noticably quicker - I thought it was just me! [:)]

·
Registered
200 Posts
So when did this ECU upgrade take place on production cars - and why
hasn't it been publicised, or been the subject of a dealer recall?

An
increase from 197 to 224 bhp would certainly attract the attention of
most insurers, who generally don't miss a chance to take their £ of
flesh....

Somebody here must know?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Dangerous dave must know as he's upgraded his.

What ECU software version are you running now ?

If you don't know can you ask your dealer please ?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Mines wasn't updated its just my car is only 2 months old so has the most uptodate software, the lastest batch of production cars have been coming with the new software.  If you head to the dealer and just get them to check you have the most recent version of map if not they will flash it for free.  Its not a upgrade as such more a update in the software.

·
Registered
99 Posts
GTI engine was updated in the late 2005 (November IIRC) affecting cars delivered in the early 2006. Atleast the engine code changed from AXX to BWA. Compression was dropped from 10.5 to 10.3. This might be related to the increased horsepower?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting thread !

Well I am biased as I am waiting for my MY07 R32 5 door DSG in Silver which I should have at the end of September. I love the look of the R32 and the sound is worth the extra alone....

Having driven both cars my conclusion is that they are both excellent, however despite the fact that they are nominally similar from a driver perspective I find them very hard to compare, they dont feel very similar at all. Both are powerfull and handle well but that about it, the power delivery in the R32 feels more in control and the R32 traction was in my view far superior.

I would be happy with a GTI but I am think I am going to be happier with the R32.

·
Registered
182 Posts
GTI engine was updated in the late 2005 (November IIRC) affecting cars delivered in the early 2006. Atleast the engine code changed from AXX to BWA. Compression was dropped from 10.5 to 10.3. This might be related to the increased horsepower?
In general a higher compression ratio will release more power, assuming detontation doesn't occur. In fact I suspect this could be another typical VW printing error as the 2007 brochure says 10.5 again. Of course a lower compression raio with more boost creates more power too, but in that case off boost performance will drop.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In general a higher compression ratio will release more power, assuming detontation doesn't occur. In fact I suspect this could be another typical VW printing error as the 2007 brochure says 10.5 again. Of course a lower compression raio with more boost creates more power too, but in that case off boost performance will drop.
Yes, if everything else stays the same dropping compression will result in lower power. Im pretty sure VW compensated for this in boost. I dont know what brochure you are referring to, but www.volkswagen.de technical data still states 10.3 compression for GTI engine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
the vw uk site says 10.5, without going back in time, i can't say what the old de or uk site said before.  I've actually seen figures of 11.5, 10.5 and 10.3 listed for the compression ratio, I know there are engine types AXX, and I think ASU, and bxx ( B something, something) as listed above. No idea what the difference is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts