Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came off an island behind a GTI 56 plate this morning and have to say I was doing 40 in fourth and when we both went for it although he pulled away there wasn't as much in it as i thought there would be. Question would a remapped GT TDI give a standard GTI a run for it's money?

Chris

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm not sure but i think itl be faster. Do you know if it was a 150 or 180bhp gti?

Iv got another question if u don't mind me asking. Iv got a 150bhp gti and i was at the lights behind a brand new Audi a3 2.0l tdi and we both gunned it off the line and i stayed with him. I would have thought that he'd have left me dead. He was definitely giving it hes all but i was surprised i kept with him??

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I'm not sure but i think itl be faster. Do you know if it was a 150 or 180bhp gti?
I think he means the 200bhp Gti, as in the MKV
Has to be, as its 56 plate

I think they have more than 200 though, some were seen with 220/230 with the updated software

Hafizur

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've driven a remapped 2L TDI A3 and the MK5 GTi standard is still slightly quicker not a huge amount in it though, I can't see a standard 2L TDI keeping up with a GTI if he was giving it a proper blast as both are putting out similiar torque (my standard one ran 225lbft/standard 2l TDI on the same rollers ran 239lbft) but the GTIs got the torque for over 2000 revs more and with 40% more bhp in a car that weighs the same.

Sounds to me like the GTI wasn't trying or was in 5th or 6th unless of course your TDI is remapped and then it would have be close. Of course a GTI could then be remapped and with an exhaust they are getting similair and sometimes more torque than a remapped diesel some are hitting 315/lbft not bad for a petrol that has around 280bhp at the same time.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't get me wrong the guy was pulling away but it was more of a smooth pull away rather than leaving me in his dust which was what i was expecting and he was going for it as i could hear his exhaust [:p]

Going to have to get mine remapped i think and give him a scare next time i see him [:)]

Chris

·
Registered
360 Posts
With it being a 56 plate you might find that he only had a few hundred miles on the clock, so I doubt if he would be giving it 100%, and also the engine would still be tight.

But in asnswer to your question, a well remapped 140 TDI could give a GTi a run for its money..

Chris

·
Registered
703 Posts
With it being a 56 plate you might find that he only had a few hundred miles on the clock, so I doubt if he would be giving it 100%, and also the engine would still be tight.
That's a good excuse that!! I might use that one... [:p]

And what about the 170? [;)]

·
Registered
360 Posts
lol

Presume the 170 will remap to around the 200 mark (maybe a little more?)... So it will be similar power to the Gti (the early ones anyway)... However dont forget that a remapped Gti is over 250 Hp [:D]

Chris

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
170 remaps to just over 210, I would have thought a GTi would still spank the TD if driven correctly. Someone on the audi sport forum did a comparison on TD v T FSi it wan't an actual roadtest just based on given data and gearbox ratios etc.

·
Registered
90 Posts
From a standing start the gti will always win becasue in the GT TDI you can not get through the gears quick enough and you only have limited revs compared to a petrol that will rev a lot higher.I

In my case though my 4motion will get a better start as i can use full power with no wheel spin even in the wet and no anoying torque steer either.

My GT TDI is producing a best of 198HP @ 3916rpm and 316 lbs.ft @ 2337rpm when tested last week that was the best of 6 runs.

So the in gear times are v/good and it also still does 45mpg .What sort of mpg will a chipped gti do ? and how long will it last compared to the oil burner ?.

·
Registered
360 Posts
What sort of mpg will a chipped gti do ? and how long will it last compared to the oil burner ?.
Like the Derv, it depends how you drive it... Probably 30ish for normal driving, and low twenties when driving it how its meant to be driven... It'll last ok though, well built engines.... except maybe the clutch [:)]

Your car sounds good (I had a Revo'd PD150 previously), like you say the best of both worlds, but obviously driving the petrol is more fun with the correct soundtrack and longer rev range... saying that I'll be getting a derv again next time, like to keep swapping!

Chris

·
Registered
310 Posts
A friend has a chipped A3 Sportback Quattro 2L TFSI with exhaust air intake and its been dyno'd at 284bhp and 313lbft (I'm sure it has over 270lbft from 2200 to 5500) he claims following the remap the mpg went up from 33mpg to 37mpg I'm not sure if this is from a the trip computer or fill ups he does about 80/20 motorway/town . I know in my GTi (standard) that from brimming each tank I average give or take 32mpg with about 60/40 between town and motorway and on a run I've had slightly under 40mpg which I think was good going. So his figures don't see too far out.

If I did heavy mileage I would without a doubt buy a diesel however for 10k a year the cost difference for the GTI is worth it.

Can't comment on on the life on the engine however I suspect it should last just aslong as the oil burner assuming the oil changes are kept up. There is plenty of chipped 1.8Ts with well over 100k

·
Registered
442 Posts
The best thing about haing a fast derv is passing what ever your racing and showing them theyve been done by a diesel!

IMO a chipped TDI is loads of fun and the torque allows it to stay with loads of fast stuff. But a chipped GTI has it with the longer revs. Never owned a petorl GTI but hope to in the future sometime. The TDI is my baby for a while yet though!

·
Registered
90 Posts
If I were to swap to petrol I would go for the Sportback Quattro as opposed to a GTI as I just could not go back to Front Wheel drive again ,I have just fitted the Haldex sports controller and that has transformed the handling of mine no end.

I went for a drive in the new GTI 30th edition with 230hp and it did not feel fast but mostly all I remember about it was the red stitching and lots of wrestling with the steering under power from a standing start other than that it is not very special just a good marketing tool.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The best thing about haing a fast derv is passing what ever your racing and showing them theyve been done by a diesel!
Not quite in the same league speed wise however one of the funniest runs I have every had in a car was in my mums 1.4 TDI Fabia estate (with wheel trims) which is nippy once on boost keeping pace with a max power lookng Corsa the look on his face once I overtook him and had to stop at the next set of lights and he saw the badge was priceless !

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'd love the GTi but would be scared of the fuel bills, I might go and test one just to see what its like to drive, although I do like the look of the EOS ..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts