Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm leaving my company car scheme and have to say goodbye to my MkV GTI (black, manual, 5dr, standard spec). Had it since March and have loved the performance, handling, novelty value, etc. I won't miss the fuel costs though - with the short hop stuff I tend to do, I averaged 27mpg over the 8 months I had it, which I never really got used to (previous car was a MkIV GTI PD150 averaging 40 ish)).

So, with a car allowance I'm looking to get a new (or new-ish) GT TDI. I'm worried I'll be a bit disappointed with some aspects of this trade, and would appreciate your thoughts and observations regarding performance, spec, general ownership, things to look out for specification-wise (Stu Wyatt - you did the same thing I think! How's it going?).

The second part of my post is about price. I've got a couple of options. A main dealer has offered me a new 3dr GT TDI for ?15.6k. He also has a 54 plate 5 door GT TDI with the following spec for just under ?16k:

Tonado red (not my first choice but looks good in the flesh), DSG, Leather (black), 17" Torinos, Xenons, heated seats, sunroof, parking sensors, 6CD armrest thing, dual zone climate (not on the new GT TDIs anymore?), sub 10k miles. Oh and colour coded rear valance. Can't think of anything else.

This was a close on ?24k car when new (so the dealer tells me). What deal do you think to the deal? I did have a quick drive and was impressed. Looks pretty similar to the GTI inside too - the only thing I noticed straight away was the light rooflining colour).

Any and all comments welcome. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions too. Also haven't decided how to fund it (bank loan, dealer PCP, whatever).

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
261 Posts
When I was looking at getting my GT TDI, I only actually test drove the GTI (I was totally blown away). It doesnt give you as much shove in the back, but still puts a smile on my face. When you're cruising on the Motorway its just excellent, quick to overtake and very little gear shifting you can cruise in 6th for miles on end (I suppose this is 'cause of the high level of Torque the diesel gives)

And the thing that puts the biggest smile on your face is the mpg!

The specs you have there look really good, the two absolute must haves for me are center armrest (which looks like you have) and the higline comp (which you don't say it has, but not much you can do about!) Looks like the cars been quite highly specced so it might have the highline comp pity about the colour!! IMHO the red only looks good on the GTI!

As for pricing and financing, sorry thats not my department!

·
Registered
164 Posts
This is my GT TDI in Tornado Red, with colour coded valance and front spoiler on 17" Estorils.

Posted Image

I'm well pleased with it. Has plenty of punch and can keep up with most things on the road. You'll only really notice the performance difference if your really ragging it. You'll also notice that the red line is a lot lower, so watch out for that!

If i were you, I would go for the Tornado Red with all the extras, seems a bargain to me and red looks great, especially when clean!

I'm averageing 45mpg on the kind of half hour journeys in to town I do, which include a couple of duel carrigeway sections where its a race to beat the lorries and busses to the next roundabout. I swapped from a 1.8 16V Astra coupe convertible to my golf and i really have noticed how much less I'm paying in fuel, so swapping from a GTI is going to put a big smile on your face in that departement.

Go for it, and dont feel sad every time you see a GTI on the road, they really arnt that rare any more and they will be paying about a 1/3 more than you on fuel!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Shifty - that does look good.

How do I check for the highline comp?

Any other comments, especially on the price (people should be getting home from work now!).

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Thanks guys. Shifty - that does look good.

How do I check for the highline comp?

Any other comments, especially on the price (people should be getting home from work now!).
the screen in the centre of the dash will be large ie abt 3" x 2" - when a door is opened, it will show a picture of the whole car from above and which door is open. It was a ?45 option but not many people were made aware of it at the time of ordering as far as I can tell.

For ?16K, it looks like a good deal - very high spec - DSG cars are in short supply and so some dealers are asking for top whck on them. I have seen similr cars on the used section of VW's site at nearly ?20k this week.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - I'll have a look at the dash a bit closer.

I know I'll miss the GTI, which is part of the reason I want something a bit different in the replacement. The DSG and leather seem to be a good start!

Do you think the leasing company will miss the steering wheel if I keep it for the TDI ? [:D]

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Sounds like a good price to me, I paid 18k for mine and i don't have the DSG or Xenons, but i've got the rest, red is a nice colour too. As for finance, shop around, personal loans are best as you own the car meaning you can change the car as often as you like but don't have to settle the finance each time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm getting the finance details in writing from the dealer, then I'll compare to Northern Rock (usually the cheapest unsecured high street lender).

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
For the spec it sounds a right steal, I paid ?14.8k for my 04 3
door without xenons or leather, you don't say how many miles its
done?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
8,500 miles....

I've had chance to do a bit more research into other GT TDIs (mainly through allapprovedcars.com). The one I'm looking at is the cheapest by far. The only one I can find with a similar spec is on for ?18.5k (main dealer - steel grey).

I'm wondering if it's down to the colour. I do like it, but it wouldn't be my first choice, and there were hardly any red one's in the search results (must have looked at over 50 cars in total). Do you think red could have an impact on resale? Everything seems to be black, silver or metallic blue these days... I have to be careful now it's my own money and not the company's!

Could also be down to timing. The car came in the day I was at the dealers so hadn't been prepped or advertised (still isn't). They paid 15.6k for it, so hardly seem to be making a bean. Hmmm.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
the dealer would have made there money on the car they sold, so by letting you have this at cost they wouldn't be losing. It would also lower there stock value. Don't let the colour put you off, if you like it go for it. I wouldn't pay another ?2000 just to get a black one !

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I think if you intend to keep it for many years, red might have it's
problems, my experince with VW red is more pink. But in the short term
as said before with all that kit it sounds too good too miss, in fact
it does sound a bit too good, sorry but I'm a doubting so and so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw the "pink" effect on a friend's Mk IV. Not sure if it was the colour itself or the effects of the sun over time.

Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This is the problem with colour. One thing I will say though is every other car on the roads at the moment is black or silver or grey. I went to a number of dealers and not just VW before I got my car and I was having the same dilema. I hadent even mentioned colour with the dealers but a noticable number of them were moaning about having so many black and silver cars all looking the same.  Some people want silver etc, which is ok, but it then puts people off other more individual and interesting colours as they question wether they should be doing what everyone else is. was toying with Blue Graphite as a sencible alternative, a bit different to silver or black without being too individual, but then the ealer brought out the tornado red one with the spoiler and the colour coded valance and I thought, wow, thats smart, different, stylish without being to garish. I was sold on the spot. I dont know what people are thinking when they see my car in the car park or on the road, but I notice that they do look. I dont see them looking at all the black silver and grey cars.  Just  thinking about the people i know, my mum has a gre car, my dad silver, my brother and sister both black, my neighbours all have silver, black or dark blue. The lady opposite has a red MX5, and my mate a bright blue skoda octavia.  Those last two are the only "coloured" cars I can think of off hand. Several people have commented on how nice the golf looks in red in the flesh. People get put off choosing a colour by the brochure only having  silvers and black cars in. I know colour is entirely down to individual taste, but dont be scared just becuase everyone else has silver, black and grey cars (not that I'm cussing them).

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I think the Golf looks great in REd, certainly much better than silver. I've already got one red car, a Radient Red XR3i .... convertable, red looks great when cleaned.

·
Registered
87 Posts
reds a very good colour, looks brilliant.

of course you could get black or grey( i have grey) like everybody else in britain?

come the time for resale their will be that many black,grey ones youll be sick of the sight of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts