Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i gotta find someone to swap with first lol my car has alot of expensive and nice things so hope it wont be too hard... yeah i wanna get about 300hp ish go ko3 hybrid route or ko4

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Would have to be k04, but they not the most reliable kits.
Ow its prooving very reliable, just not the easiest thing to set up compared to other turbos - but it will be far more efficient when everything is done properly

It looks like next mods to get it spot on would be high flow exhaust manifold, port the wastegate and possibly 1.8 N/A cams to get it to breathe properly so the engine can flow the air to stop them surging.

Dan

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dan you think it would be easier to sell my car buy a 4motion then buy a bam engine ? i would do it this was as im not rich lol so i would have to do it slowly but still have a car thats why a swap for mine would be great????

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I would have a 4motion any day over a standard 1.8t gti anyway mate. Grip off the line and handleing is SO much better - especially if you do the R32 set up on the front.

BAM Engines are expensive....IF I were you and you wanted to do something different. Buy a nice 4motion, use it and improve it over standard - buy a 1.8t and slowly buy all the bits to whack a gt28rs on it or something similar. BAM engines are still too pricey.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah that sounds good. my gti is mapped though lol but a 4motion is what 204bhp ? mine is prob around 200-210bhp but the 4wd must be amazing. what setup engine do you have ? a 1.8t engine is not expensive right like 500-700 ? get a decent turbo 1000 ?injectors etcetc

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
But why would you run a 4wd setup with 225bhp from a k03s? I mean unless you go anywhere over that, such as k04 mapped then you will just loose more power than the gains IMHO.

Guess its all down to what you prefer...personally I wouldnt do it....others may thing different....its MY opinion.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
well i gotta find someone to swap with first lol my car has alot of expensive and nice things so hope it wont be too hard... yeah i wanna get about 300hp ish go ko3 hybrid route or ko4
quick question, who are you going to take advice from here? the man with a 1.4 FWD golf or the man with a 1.8T 4motion golf and another guy with a 4WD 1.8T car on teh golf platform [;)]

any car with a 1.8T in it is better when 4WD, in the dry i could never wheel spin no matter what i did when it was standard(150bhp), with 200bhp a heavy launch in wet would get a little bit of wheel spin not a great deal and nothing that really hampered your progress and obviously the more power you've got the more likely it is to spin.

i can't comment on the result of some of the mods as although i have them i haven't driven the car since they were fitted but the mods for a 4motion golf i can suggest highly from experience is the blue haldex controller, it makes a massive difference. decent coilovers, i have KW V2's, they are far better than oem in everyway other than rock crawling i found. big brakes, i have the 4 pot brembo's from an LCR, amazing brakes.

i now also have, but haven't driven with, a TT steering rack, H&R uprated R32 ARB's, gt28, tubular manifold, high flow inlet manifold. before breaking it i had an ATP hybrid(gt2x) and was running ~280bhp and it was quite quick, can't wait to get it back with the 28 on it.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
But why would you run a 4wd setup with 225bhp from a k03s? I mean unless you go anywhere over that, such as k04 mapped then you will just loose more power than the gains IMHO.

Guess its all down to what you prefer...personally I wouldnt do it....others may thing different....its MY opinion.
but your not just stating opinion, your giving advice and making it sound like experience, have you ever driven a mapped 1.8T quattro?

THE LOSSES ARE NOT THAT HIGH IN COMPARED TO A FWD CAR.

obviously your opinion is your opinion but from experience i can assure you that your wrong, i'm not trying to say that i am the almighty or anytihg stupid like that but i bought a 150bhp quattro car, ran it at around 200bhp for a while, then ran it at 280bhp for a while and now have a gt28 on it and waiting for the final fit and map so i can esperience that.

a few years ago me and my mates went out for the day to the forrest of dean for some DH'ing, my car is a 4WD estate with a towbar so i had me and two mates, a boot crammed with gear, a couple bags on the back seat, a trailer made from an old trailer tent with 12 bikes on it and some more gear in that trailer, all in all a lot of weight. on the move at any speed my mate couldn't keep up with me, i just drove away from him and he was in a 306 XSi 2.0 8v with no bikes, very little gear and one passenger. his car weighed 250Kg less than mine book figures so take into account all the crap i had and i was massively heavier than him.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.