Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people.

Could someone advise on the following for me please:

1) Which way round do you quote for tints?? I never get it the right way round, and I've just confused a couple of other people. Is the %age the amount of light let through, or the amount of light blocked??

2) Anyone know for sure the standard "blue" tint the GTI's come with - Dan (tylerama) was reckoning on around 70%+ (light allowed through [;)])?

3) How do tints add up when overlaid. With the GTI, if I want to add tints, then do i add them up or what?? Does that make sense??

4) I wanna take it darker, but still wanna be able to just able to see into the car... Suggestions please??

5) Legalities - how far can I go both fore and behind the B pillars??

If any of the questions don't make sense, please slap me! Thank you for your time [y]

C

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ill try as best i can mate!

1. It is the amount of light blocked out so say the factory standard tint is 30% so it would let 70% through but Vw windows have it quoted on the window at the bottom b-pillar corner as between28 and 30%/

2. See above

3. Idont understand

4. It is illegal to tint in front of the b pillar any more than 30% which is the factory tint on the windows!

5. Just behind the b-pillars you can go as dark as you want under the new tint laws, as long as the front windows are no more than 30% it is legal.

Here is a pic of mine with 50%tints (i think) maybe more! I cant remember exactly but you can just about see into the car!

Posted Image

·
Registered
81 Posts
The standard tint won't be as much as 30% but putting a tint over it will take it over the legal limit.

Don't quote me on this but light smoke is about 35% and smoke is about 50%, making them both illegal at the front. Although there is no way police would stop you for having a light smoke(35%) as it is not very noticable!!

I don't have a gti so I just have the standard glass. But I have had my car tinted (50%) and never had any problems with it and i would say it is just perfect.

Barry

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I watched a program the other night, whererby a Copper said by law 70% of light had to penetrate into the cabin, he said this ment any factory tint was legal, but applying any other tint on top (no matter how fine) would allow less than 70% a render the car illegal on areas of the car that was applicable.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
In answer to 1:

The % tint relates to the Visible Light Transmission (VLT).

The lower the VLT percentage, the darker the tint is. 5% VLT means only 5% of light is passing through the window while 95% is being absorbed by the film.

The lowest tint you will find, will be around 50% VLT, so even that applied to non tinted front windows, will be illegal, as the law states that windows forward of the B-pillar have to have a minimum of 70% VLT.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gents, thank you for all your comeback - ace stuff [y]

The whole overtinting could be interesting - as I want black style tints - as the GTI standard ones are a blue tint, it's gonna look a bit sh*t I think.

Do we have any GTI owners who've up'd the tints on their cars??

In Question 3 I was basically asking, if you have (for example for pure maths here) 30%, and you wanted to get to 50%, would that be an addition of just 20%?? Is it that easy, or does putting a tint over a tint make life more complicated to work out??

Thanks again [h]

C

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi - maybe a little late to the conversation but in case this is any use to you I had optional tints put on my GT TDi.

I got phoned up by the dealer (its a dealer fit not factory fit apparently unless standard) to ask me what % I wanted. Not having a clue I asked him what was a standard % and he said around 50-55%.

However my previous car was a TDi Passat Sport estate and tints come as standard on that - at 65%.

So I opted for 65%. If you're interested in what that looks like check this image I took last week:

http://www.pbase.com/image/59696548

Its not a great pic cos I took it at around 7.30pm so used the flash - but you can see the tint quite well. The tint looks great in daylight - enough to make it difficult to see what's on the back seat (even with a beige interior!) but not so black it looks too much like a pimp wagon.

Also form the inside it hardly looks any more tinted than the regular windows.

There are a few other snappy shots of the Golf in the rest of the gallery (My New Car) and if you like motors in general - esp. super cars you might like to click on the Cars n Stuff link at the top. :)

Hope this is of some use!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Gents, thank you for all your comeback - ace stuff [y]

The whole overtinting could be interesting - as I want black style
tints - as the GTI standard ones are a blue tint, it's gonna look a bit
sh*t I think.

Do we have any GTI owners who've up'd the tints on their cars??

In Question 3 I was basically asking, if you have (for example for
pure maths here) 30%, and you wanted to get to 50%, would that be an
addition of just 20%?? Is it that easy, or does putting a tint
over a tint make life more complicated to work out??

Thanks again [h]

C
Hey mate, if you have a look over at the
http://www.golfmkv.com forums there's plenty of Yankee
drivers over there who have applied tinting over the stock tint, and it
looks pretty good, especially on the black and white GTIs.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hey mate, if you have a look over at the http://www.golfmkv.com forums there's plenty of Yankee drivers over there who have applied tinting over the stock tint, and it looks pretty good, especially on the black and white GTIs.
In the US they are allowed to fit limo tints on their front side glass, so I wouldn't use this as a comparison.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hey mate, if you have a
look over at the http://www.golfmkv.com forums there's
plenty of Yankee drivers over there who have applied tinting over the
stock tint, and it looks pretty good, especially on the black and white
GTIs.
In the US they are allowed to fit limo tints on their front side glass, so I wouldn't use this as a comparison.
I suggested the site as an example to view tints applied over the stock
GTI tint... there are some states in the US with similar laws to here,
ie, front tint can be no more than 70% (or 30%, depending on whether
you're looking at light let in/blocked). There appears to be no problem
with just applying a tint over the factory tint.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the various bits nad pieces, lots to add up, work out, and decide on.

And I *HATE* choices [:|]

C

·
Registered
154 Posts
lol

"Might I enquire where you will be getting the window tinting done? I'm getting mine done in Stratford this Thursday. Could I be so forward as to ask you how much you are being charged and if your car is 3 or 5 door?"

[;)]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol

"Might I enquire where you will be getting the window tinting done? I'm getting mine done in Stratford this Thursday. Could I be so forward as to ask you how much you are being charged and if your car is 3 or 5 door?"

[;)]
Heh that I can get my head round - nothing personal katie, I just can't be doing with txtt4lk takes too long for me to untangle.

Looking at getting Tinter (forum member on here that's his user name) to do them, once I've sorted my life out and have an idea of what I want [:)]

C

1 - 17 of 17 Posts